Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 11:16 AM

413 posts, read 832,576 times

Advertisements

Making a late (9:30) dinner reservation for saturday in river north and thinking of a rooftop for a pre-dinner drink. Will be with my parents and brother and his wife. Looking for something without super loud music. Just good views.

Trump is probably ideal but I really don't want to wait in line. After putting kids to sleep we probably can't get there until 830 or so, so I really don't want to wait in line as I need to leave by 915. Really just looking to show my family some nice views and have a drink.

I was looking at Vertigo Sky Lounge. Thoughts on this place. It sounds sort of clubby but will it be so at 830pm.

Other ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 11:19 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,913,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindukid View Post
Making a late (9:30) dinner reservation for saturday in river north and thinking of a rooftop for a pre-dinner drink. Will be with my parents and brother and his wife. Looking for something without super loud music. Just good views.

Trump is probably ideal but I really don't want to wait in line. After putting kids to sleep we probably can't get there until 830 or so, so I really don't want to wait in line as I need to leave by 915. Really just looking to show my family some nice views and have a drink.

I was looking at Vertigo Sky Lounge. Thoughts on this place. It sounds sort of clubby but will it be so at 830pm.

Other ideas?
Vertigo is semi clubby, but it's not bad. At 8:30pm it won't be too crowded in my small number of experiences. The Wit might be kind of similar, but more fratty than Vertigo. I consider both of these rooftop clubs really. When they get busy, there's a line.

A few other rooftops in the area are the one at Rock Bottom Brewery (the chain)..not terrible actually. There's also Citizen Bar on Erie, but I haven't been there before 10pm before, so no idea how it's like when you'd want to go. A few others in Streeterville/Gold Coast would be DrumBar and C-View.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:20 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,390,488 times
I went to J. Parker Rooftop at Hotel Lincoln a few weeks back, it is pretty chill.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Vertigo is semi clubby, but it's not bad. At 8:30pm it won't be too crowded in my small number of experiences. The Wit might be kind of similar, but more fratty than Vertigo. I consider both of these rooftop clubs really. When they get busy, there's a line.

A few other rooftops in the area are the one at Rock Bottom Brewery (the chain)..not terrible actually. There's also Citizen Bar on Erie, but I haven't been there before 10pm before, so no idea how it's like when you'd want to go. A few others in Streeterville/Gold Coast would be DrumBar and C-View.
Thanks. Was also thinking of the Wit? Do you think either Wit or Vertigo will have a cover charge or line at 830pm on saturday?

Old 09-10-2012, 11:51 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,061,771 times
Quote:
Thanks. Was also thinking of the Wit? Do you think either Wit or Vertigo will have a cover charge or line at 830pm on saturday?
They shouldn't no.

Another option is the roof at Epic. It opens at 8pm. The music isn't usually too loud or anything until later when the crowds arrive.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:03 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,877,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
A few other rooftops in the area are the one at Rock Bottom Brewery (the chain)..not terrible actually.
I dig the Rock Bottom one.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:10 PM

3,918 posts, read 6,832,743 times
I think The Witt fits your needs perfectly. Its never "clubby". It has great views of the city IMO. The only thing I would keep in mind is that you should dress fairly formal. I wouldn't show up in a T-Shirt there.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
I think The Witt fits your needs perfectly. Its never "clubby". It has great views of the city IMO. The only thing I would keep in mind is that you should dress fairly formal. I wouldn't show up in a T-Shirt there.
So my apprehension to the Witt is that I showed up there a few weeks ago on a saturday at 5pm. The outside was closed for a wedding and the inside was actually pretty full.

The other time I tried to go there, there was a line and a $20 cover. Granted that was a saturday at 11pm. Both times I have tried to go on a saturday I have essentially been hoping for an overpriced drink with a place to sit and a good view and have not been able to achieve that.

First time I went it was the middle of winter and a thursday night and I had no issues. I realized how cool the place was but have had no luck every time I have gone back.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:34 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,678,955 times
I've never paid a cover at the Wit.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:35 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,061,771 times
Quote:
So my apprehension to the Witt is that I showed up there a few weeks ago on a saturday at 5pm. The outside was closed for a wedding and the inside was actually pretty full.

The other time I tried to go there, there was a line and a $20 cover. Granted that was a saturday at 11pm. Both times I have tried to go on a saturday I have essentially been hoping for an overpriced drink with a place to sit and a good view and have not been able to achieve that.

First time I went it was the middle of winter and a thursday night and I had no issues. I realized how cool the place was but have had no luck every time I have gone back.
Vertigo at 8pm~ has a much better chance of being less busy in my opinion. It's also an older crowd than the Roof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: