Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 12:00 PM

18 posts, read 30,121 times

Advertisements

Hi there! I currently live in Louisville and I don't find this city to my liking anymore...well, actually, I never did. So, after many years of traveling to Chicago, I am making the big move up the street. I will live in one of the high-rise condos in downtown with some friends.

However, being a mid-sized city girl, I need some places where I can actually see trees and grass and other cozy spots.

Can anyone recommend a nice, cozy tea-house where I can waste endless hours? Also, I would really like to find a consignment shop which deals in modern clothes (not granny gear). There is a place here in Louisville called Urban Attic to give you some idea of the consignment shop in question. Also, can anyone recommend any areas of the city to make my haunt? I won't have a car, but I don't mind walking/biking/trains/etc. I like more urban areas, or funky, off-beat areas of towns. I'm 26 and female. The sterility of suburbia creeps me out, so nothing in that area, please. I'd like to hang out in an area where there is a high concentration of people my age. With trees. My country roots needs trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 12:10 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderlandless View Post
Hi there! I currently live in Louisville and I don't find this city to my liking anymore...well, actually, I never did. So, after many years of traveling to Chicago, I am making the big move up the street. I will live in one of the high-rise condos in downtown with some friends.

However, being a mid-sized city girl, I need some places where I can actually see trees and grass and other cozy spots.

Can anyone recommend a nice, cozy tea-house where I can waste endless hours? Also, I would really like to find a consignment shop which deals in modern clothes (not granny gear). There is a place here in Louisville called Urban Attic to give you some idea of the consignment shop in question. Also, can anyone recommend any areas of the city to make my haunt? I won't have a car, but I don't mind walking/biking/trains/etc. I like more urban areas, or funky, off-beat areas of towns. I'm 26 and female. The sterility of suburbia creeps me out, so nothing in that area, please. I'd like to hang out in an area where there is a high concentration of people my age. With trees. My country roots needs trees.
You should try to talk with "IrishTom" , who is a Chicago native who spent a few years in Kentucky, before returning north. I'm sure that he'd have a few ideas....

Old 09-10-2012, 12:20 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,061,955 times
The usual answers (and probably correct ones) will be: Lakeview, Wicker Park, Bucktown, Logan Square, Pilsen, maybe Edgewater or Andersonville.

A lot depends on your budget. Lakeview will probably be the best "green" the standpoint of being close the lake and Lincoln Park.

There are plenty of boutiques in the area. Plenty of tea-"houses" or whatever.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:55 PM

Oh yeah, I guess I should add budget in, huh? Well, broke-college student budget... but real broke college student, not 'parents pay for college and I have a trust fund' broke.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:07 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Quote:
Oh yeah, I guess I should add budget in, huh? Well, broke-college student budget... but real broke college student, not 'parents pay for college and I have a trust fund' broke.
lol, so what kind of monthly budget are you looking at for the rent? Downtown might be out of the question if you're broke..

Old 09-10-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Well, that doesn't exactly help, but I will say it might be hard to find everything you want. It sounds like you want a semi-hip, young, dense place with close proximity to nature. In Chicago that generally means being near the lake and Lincoln Park (though there are lots of other parks). All of that comes at a price. It also depends if you would be living alone, or are open to having roommates.

You could live with roommates for $400-$500 a month in an ideal area, or get a studio for probably $500-$800 a month.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandur View Post
Well, that doesn't exactly help, but I will say it might be hard to find everything you want. It sounds like you want a semi-hip, young, dense place with close proximity to nature. In Chicago that generally means being near the lake and Lincoln Park (though there are lots of other parks). All of that comes at a price. It also depends if you would be living alone, or are open to having roommates.

You could live with roommates for $400-$500 a month in an ideal area, or get a studio for probably $500-$800 a month.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
lol, so what kind of monthly budget are you looking at for the rent? Downtown might be out of the question if you're broke..
No I already have my place to live (which is downtown), I'm asking for places to hang out since downtown seems to be full of chain stores and very expensive independent stores.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:16 PM

413 posts, read 832,612 times
Downtown really doesn't seem to fit anything you are looking for. Why do you want to live there?

Old 09-10-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
No I already have my place to live (which is downtown), I'm asking for places to hang out since downtown seems to be full of chain stores and very expensive independent stores.
Oh.

LooseLeaf Lounge - Lakeview - Chicago, IL is probably a good spot for you. Very small, very cozy.

I'm not much of a coffee-shop goer but there are probably dozens of similar places around.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandur View Post
Oh.

LooseLeaf Lounge - Lakeview - Chicago, IL is probably a good spot for you. Very small, very cozy.

I'm not much of a coffee-shop goer but there are probably dozens of similar places around.
Thanks! I will check it out for sure. I need a nice little tea place (I'm not big on coffee shops either since I don't like coffee).

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindukid View Post
Downtown really doesn't seem to fit anything you are looking for. Why do you want to live there?
Because my friends own a condo there and have a spare bedroom for me while I get established.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago