Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 10:30 AM

10 posts, read 88,395 times

Advertisements

Im. Just another victim of a crooked land lord..i have to move to sue him i had till September 1 2012. But since he owes me more than $20,000 its hard on my family and i... can someone please tell mehow to find the day the sheriff has us his list please

Also anyone know of a shelter for a small family just for 2 months to stay at i will be getting my disability benefits in that time frame thank God

Thank you for everyone who reads this posting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 12:21 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,960,867 times
Call 311 to get shelter info.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:58 PM

17 posts, read 59,564 times
There is some kinda list at the Court house.I saw one once but just glanced in passing..I would call and ask..It cant hurt.But,put your belongings in Storage soon..u dont want all of your things on the sidewalk.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:20 AM

3,918 posts, read 6,829,377 times
The broker who is assigned to your eviction should be in constant contact with you about trying to get you to leave. How do you know the owner is in foreclosure? The broker gets assigned the foreclosed property. Usually the banks will offer what is called "Cash for Keys". They will pay you to move. Sometimes its too late in the process for that. In that case, you will need to move on your own accord or get evicted (which you dont want).

Please give me more information. I worked two years handling foreclosures, and have done a few evictions myself.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:29 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,286,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
The broker who is assigned to your eviction should be in constant contact with you about trying to get you to leave. How do you know the owner is in foreclosure? The broker gets assigned the foreclosed property. Usually the banks will offer what is called "Cash for Keys". They will pay you to move. Sometimes its too late in the process for that. In that case, you will need to move on your own accord or get evicted (which you dont want).

Please give me more information. I worked two years handling foreclosures, and have done a few evictions myself.
It looks like the OP is a renter, not sure how foreclosure information would be of any use to him.

It's almost impossible to get a set date on when the Sheriff will come, landlords are also in the dark. They usually tell you a couple of days in advance.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:32 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temokk View Post
Im. Just another victim of a crooked land lord..i have to move to sue him i had till September 1 2012. But since he owes me more than $20,000 its hard on my family and i... can someone please tell mehow to find the day the sheriff has us his list please

Also anyone know of a shelter for a small family just for 2 months to stay at i will be getting my disability benefits in that time frame thank God

Thank you for everyone who reads this posting

How can a landlord owe a renter $20,000.00?

Old 09-16-2012, 02:46 PM

57 posts, read 145,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
It looks like the OP is a renter, not sure how foreclosure information would be of any use to him.
Many evictions these days occur after the landlords go into foreclosure, so it is sensible to guess that a foreclosure might be the cause here. But the OP hasn't provided enough information.

Temokk, could you please let us know whether or not your landlord is in foreclosure? If so, the steps/timeline are slightly different.

Assuming that this is not a foreclosure case, the landlord would have to go through an eviction process in court before the sheriff would become involved. Has this happened? You should have received notice and an opportunity to appear in court. Just in case you somehow ignore or "missed" the notice (I'm not going to get into the notice issue), you can always check the Clerk of the Circuit Court's site for information on any case.

Click here: http://www.cookcountyclerkofcourt.or...EINFOPage=2400

For "Division Name," select "Civil." Then, skip the "Search by Case Number" (unless you happen to know the case number) and go to the "Search by Name" line. You can search either by your own name (as "defendant") or your landlord's name (as "plaintiff"). I suggest that you search by the name that is less common in Cook County - so, for example, if your name is Jose Garcia, then run the search by your landlord's name and click "plaintiff." After running the search, you will see one or more cases come up. You can click through them, view both plaintiff and defendant names, and and check the dates to figure out which one is yours. The "case type" line will probably say either "forcible entry and detainer" (for eviction only) or "joint action" (for eviction and money damages, e.g. for unpaid rent). On the case summary page, look for something along the lines of "Judgment for Plaintiff" and/or "Order for Possession." That order must be entered before the eviction takes place (though I'll warn that the online case summaries are not official and sometimes contain mistakes).

After a court order has been entered for your eviction, the landlord will file the order with the Sheriff's Office. Your name will then be put on a list, and the exact date of the eviction will depend on the Sheriff's Office's schedule. You could try to call the Cook County Sheriff at (312) 603-3365 (civil process line) and ask whether or not you have been scheduled for eviction. I'm not sure whether or not they would answer your question, but it is worth a try. You could also go to the Sheriff's Office in person at the Daley Center.

Of course, if you move out on your own, then none of the above applies. It might be worth negotiating with the landlord for a voluntary move-out (as ChiGuy said above).

Good luck.

Old 09-16-2012, 04:54 PM

9,908 posts, read 9,579,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
How can a landlord owe a renter $20,000.00?
This is the same man who wrote an earlier post about some crazy situation he got himself into and it totally does not make sense, even in the other post. there is more to this story and if he tells it to you, it will be more and more confusing. It has elements of mafia, getting this guy to pay the landlord money and some kind of business arrangement gone sour, or whatever, I think the guy may have threatened him or maybe made a deal and realized he was a foreigner and took advantage of him or something like that because it is all confusing.

Old 09-16-2012, 11:43 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Oh my!Drama

Old 12-19-2012, 10:58 AM

1 posts, read 28,675 times
Quick question. I am actually now living in a bank owned home. This just recently happen. My mother got money from the bank to give up her home. She is in a different country when the deal went through. However she was working with the broker to let the other tenants know that the house was being sold and they needed to find a place to stay. I had already moved out and moved in another apartment with my boyfriend. But I had since moved back. The day I moved back someone from the Marshall came to serve eviction notice to the 2 tenants living in the home. I wasn't served a noticed because I had just moved back in. The notice I believe is for 21 days. How long and will someone come back to check on the house and will I be affected. As far as I now in order for me to leave, I have to be given a written notice, which I haven received, so I am staying. Can you shed some light and what is my right on this matter. By the way the house had been in default for the last 4 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: