Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 06:08 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,421,872 times

Advertisements

While I loved the Blue Demons back when they recruited winning talent to their program I just don't see how a 12,000 seat stadium makes sense near McCormick Place or anywhere else...

DePaul, McPier discuss new arena
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 06:17 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,946,529 times
Well, DePaul has not been very good for awhile (although they do play in one of the top conferences). I think it's a good idea to move their arena to be actually in the city now. 12,000 seems a little large for them right now, but at the same time maybe not. It's probably a step up from UIC-Pavilion (although that place is fairly nice). I would welcome this if they held other events there like concerts..

It might make more sense to do it at United Center if they can though IMO.

Old 09-28-2012, 06:28 PM

Default Would it make a difference? Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Well, DePaul has not been very good for awhile (although they do play in one of the top conferences). I think it's a good idea to move their arena to be actually in the city now. 12,000 seems a little large for them right now, but at the same time maybe not. It's probably a step up from UIC-Pavilion (although that place is fairly nice). I would welcome this if they held other events there like concerts..
I think the poor attendance at the Rosement games have very little to do with location (blue line is easy enough ride...)and a whole lot to do with th kind of teams they've had and kind of students that seem to favor DePaul.

The mix of urban artsy types and bust-my-hump in night school types is far different than the Big10 basketball fans that pour from frat party to Assembly Hall in Indiana or Chambana / Crissler Arena in Ann Arbor...

Old 09-28-2012, 08:02 PM

240 posts, read 465,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I think the poor attendance at the Rosement games have very little to do with location (blue line is easy enough ride...)and a whole lot to do with th kind of teams they've had and kind of students that seem to favor DePaul.

The mix of urban artsy types and bust-my-hump in night school types is far different than the Big10 basketball fans that pour from frat party to Assembly Hall in Indiana or Chambana / Crissler Arena in Ann Arbor...
Respectfully I think the location of the arena has a lot to do with it. The Rosemont Blue Line station is nowhere near the Allstate Arena. Near O'Hare to watch a below average basketball team feels a world away to kids whose life revolves around Lincoln Park, Lakeview, and the Loop.

United Center is a much better opportunity, a new arena in Lincoln Park would be more ideal, but that's a lot of money to spend and the arena would need to get more use than hoops.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:15 PM

Default Lincoln Park is not a possibility...

With super connected power brokers who would vehemently object to the parking and crowds that a new facility would bring to the the area and land prices near DePaul's campus far above anything short of San Fransico or Manhattan you can be sure that no basketball arena will be constructed in Lincoln Park.

Getting a couple of games into United Center might work for to pump up some publicity, but actual distances involved means students and fans would be traveling nearly as much as to get to Rosemont.

The general "dead zone" around McCormick Place is pretty common to all convention centers. Doubt a 12,000 seat venue changes that.

If the corrupt hooligans that used to be in charge of McPier had not screwed up so badly maybe the kinds of firms that are needed to finance a deal like this could be convinced to foot the bill but even Rahm with his $16M solid platinum ballet slippers from the Wasserstein Perella days would have an almost possible task in current conditions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProgMichael View Post
Respectfully I think the location of the arena has a lot to do with it. The Rosemont Blue Line station is nowhere near the Allstate Arena. Near O'Hare to watch a below average basketball team feels a world away to kids whose life revolves around Lincoln Park, Lakeview, and the Loop.

United Center is a much better opportunity, a new arena in Lincoln Park would be more ideal, but that's a lot of money to spend and the arena would need to get more use than hoops.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:23 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,271,427 times
It should be built on or near campus. Always scratched my head why they didn't expand Alumni Gym. With the alumni donors they probably have and a little TIF action from the Rahmfather it should be possible. IF Loyola can build a b-ball arena, DePaul should be able to as well. There has to be buildings and property they own that can be used for this purpose. The only issue may be minimum capacity requirements of Conference USA resulting in a larger, more costly arena. Building it near McCormick place or the United Center is going to draw students to watch the games? And if they are going after the city dwelling fans/alumni, aren't most of them residing north of Madison Av?

Old 10-01-2012, 12:52 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,178,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
It should be built on or near campus. Always scratched my head why they didn't expand Alumni Gym. With the alumni donors they probably have and a little TIF action from the Rahmfather it should be possible. IF Loyola can build a b-ball arena, DePaul should be able to as well. There has to be buildings and property they own that can be used for this purpose. The only issue may be minimum capacity requirements of Conference USA resulting in a larger, more costly arena. Building it near McCormick place or the United Center is going to draw students to watch the games? And if they are going after the city dwelling fans/alumni, aren't most of them residing north of Madison Av?
Put it on vacant land near State and 24th, and it'll be a 5 minute walk from Cermak Red Line station, which is a direct 20 minute ride from campus.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:47 PM

1,988 posts, read 2,225,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Put it on vacant land near State and 24th, and it'll be a 5 minute walk from Cermak Red Line station, which is a direct 20 minute ride from campus.
I still think they'll have trouble getting students to the games. I think DePaul needs something near or on campus that can seat 10,000 then they can use the United Center for some of the teams that generally draw bigger crowds such as Marquette and Notre Dame.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:05 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,064,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
I still think they'll have trouble getting students to the games. I think DePaul needs something near or on campus that can seat 10,000 then they can use the United Center for some of the teams that generally draw bigger crowds such as Marquette and Notre Dame.

But where could that, and adequate parking possible be?

Old 10-01-2012, 02:26 PM

1,988 posts, read 2,225,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandur View Post
But where could that, and adequate parking possible be?
The rumor for a long time was on the Finkl site, not sure if that is even feasible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago