Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2012, 06:48 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,165,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by branch28 View Post
Haha!! That was a great photo and post. However, you're forgetting that drunkeness is just a symptom of the underlying problem. These people are abusing a substance so they won't have to focus on the fact they are stuck in overgrown adolscence, no kids, no marriage, etc. They have no responsibilities like families in, let's say, Indiana do.
Hello? Tons of Chicagoans have marriages, kids and responsibilities and do not abuse alcohol, you really think that only happens in Indiana?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 06:54 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,165,569 times
Quote:
Nihilism isn't fun, they're just self-medicating.
How can you call anyone a nihilist from a photo, you can't, it's not possible.

Quote:
That bar in the photo is in a dingy part of Chicago Ave near Ashland. The hipsters aren't healthy, clean, or happy, they're getting drunk trying to rationalize their existence. ...of only being able to afford a dog.
They're not getting drunk, they're going dancing, celebrating their happy young lives. Not everyone aspires to wealth, it's unhealthy, read your bible, jesus and the rich never got along well, something about the eye of the needle and heaven.

You have obviously lived in this hood to accurately recognize the exact address of the photo, I might add, for no reason.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:46 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,678,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
To be fair, the beaches in Indiana in the summer are just as dense with Illinois people as the ones in Michigan are. It's just a much shorter shoreline.
Like the dunes? Go there during the winter after a fresh snowfall. When you see how fast it turns black because of the proximity to the dirty industrial pollution of the refineries and steel mills -- you'll be turned off.

Quote:
Nihilism isn't fun, they're just self-medicating. That bar in the photo is in a dingy part of Chicago Ave near Ashland. The hipsters aren't healthy, clean, or happy, they're getting drunk trying to rationalize their existence. ...of only being able to afford a dog.
Their lives will be incomplete and full of self-loathing until they get with the program and realize that low taxes and families with kids are the keys to true happiness. (Complete with Church on Sundays)

Seriously, not everyone wants the same things, out of life. Shocking, but true. Maybe it's the responsible thing they're doing, not having kids because they know they won't accept responsibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
You're so right. I'm childless and in my 30's in the city. My friends and I are all miserable. We're just dying to acquire spouses and children so we can move to Indiana and be truly happy. Maybe someday, if we play our cards right!
What's next, a diatribe about how there isn't enough good church in these people's lives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link N. Parker View Post
This is a good post. As much as I love living the urban life in Chicago, I scratch my head when I see the people around me who think that the whole city looks like Wicker Park, or Lakeview; they like to say things like "I LURVE SHICAGO; ITS GRAYT" but they live in a bubble; most parts of the city are run down and hurting bad. What these people really mean to say is "I LOVE THE YUPPY/HIPSTER ZONE THAT I LIVE IN! LOOP AREA TOO!" These people never venture out of that zone.
Why would they go out of these 'run down' areas that are 'hurting bad?' Is there any reason for them to go? Would it even be safe or advisable to go if they were so inclined?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Why are you freaking out about this? There are plenty of married people in their 30's, and especially in large cities like NYC, LA and Chicago, there are many many who aren't. I'm 33 and not married, hasn't even crossed my mind. I love my life. Travel a lot, have no issues with money, have great friends, family, a nice job. The last thing I am is trying to go out drinking to cover up some random feelings that I'm suppose to be sitting in the suburbs with a 2 year old. Nothing wrong with that, but I wouldn't change my life for anything.

Honestly when I read your posts it comes off like someone who's desperately trying to convince themselves that they're having a happy life married with kids.

Less than half of adult Americans are currently married. The average age for the first marriage is now around 30 years old. It's obviously not strange for people in their 30's to not be married.
The sooner you settle and get married the sooner you can get divorced and fight a custody battle!

Old 10-03-2012, 07:50 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,290,404 times
Ignore the out of state trolls who don't care about Chicago and are only interested in trashing the Windy City

Old 10-03-2012, 08:14 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,678,634 times
If Northwest Indiana is so great, South East Indiana must be better, yes?

Old 10-03-2012, 09:08 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,878,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Link N. Parker View Post
Medicare/Medicaid/Social Security are not "welfare leech" programs. They are promised benefits that the recipients PAY INTO earlier in life, thru payroll deductions. A lot of retirees move to red states (such as AZ) and this makes it look like there is higher "federal spending" in those states (and, technically there is), but again, these types of programs are not welfare mooch programs.

This is in addition to the military bases, that are necessary federal spending (national defense).

The infamous "red state welfare mooch map" is a clever lie that liberals like to throw out there, to make it look like welfare bums are all GOP-voting mouth breathers. It is a distortion and every time a libpuke vomits it up on a forum, I shoot it down.
Shooting it down would require posting actual statistics that support your argument. All you seem to be shooting is your virtual mouth, in the "off" direction.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:42 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,710,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERS-One View Post
That he can't bake pies.
Mmmm pie....road trip!

Old 10-03-2012, 09:44 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,710,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
RichB.
South Suburbs=Northwest Indiana or on the Illinois side?
if you read the Northwest Indiana forum from time to time you would know there are 2 real estate agents that post on there frequently. those are the people i talk too
What are your agents last names or agent ID's?

Old 10-03-2012, 09:52 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,210,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post
If Northwest Indiana is so great, South East Indiana must be better, yes?
I imagine it isn't too terribly different than Southeast Illinois.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:21 PM

47 posts, read 86,875 times
Quote:
You have obviously lived in this hood to accurately recognize the exact address of the photo
Correct. I know my own people, better than any of you do. Nice try folks. It's amazing, all these people trying to tell me I'm wrong about all of my neighbors, friends, co-workers, etc. I know those types of people in the photo, you don't.

Sorry but you're not right. Not right about anything, but thanks for your views, you're entitled to think or guess whatever you want. But I'm closer to the subject.

Next, we're going to have a bunch of C-D internet experts telling us what people on the southside think about their problems and society. Keep your yap shut unless you know what you are talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap1313 View Post
Balanced when making statements?

YOU were the one that was judging the people in the photo making observations about people you know absolutely nothing about claiming they were self-medicating to distract themselves from their empty, childless existences.
I know the milieu. You don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap1313 View Post
Also, who says that there's not married people or families in the city? There are plenty of people who have children that prefer to raise their families in a more urban atmosphere. And God forbid that mom or dad takes a break from the babies to go have a drink with friends at Five Star, Branch 27, or Leopold on a Saturday night in that seedy horrible area by Chicago and Ashland.
I know all about Branch 27, look at my screen name. Those people in the photo are not married with kids. Many of them will never succeed in having them, due to various reasons: living in the expensive city, blowing their money on alcohol and consumption, living a disconnected social life, distrust of meeting total strangers at bars near Ashland/Chicago, you have no idea what you are talking about... I love it how these misfits and lost-souls hanging out are somehow deemed better/smarter/clever than some real adults who live outside the hipster/yupster-land. Overgrown adolescents. Darwin would have a field day. Many here don't understand social science or are unable or unwilling to study populations. Universities are "experts" at analyzing far-flung indigenous populations on other continents, but cannot even study the common sense stuff right in their own backyards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
read your bible, jesus and the rich never got along well, something about the eye of the needle and heaven.
Sure....lots of references in the Gospel that getting drunk, smoking tobacco, and living unpiously is promoted. These hipsters are way further from being Franciscans or monks than is some family guy in Indiana or the suburbs. Being a Christian takes discipline and effort, something the family guy exhibits, not the nihilist. Many of the hipsters still think they'll write that book or screenplay or jingle someday, and get rich. Only the selfish blow their money on personal consumption into their 30's and 40's like overgrown, spoiled, immature children. Only a small fraction of them will achieve their urban hipster dream of getting rich on some hipsterdom biz....the rest of them are in the middle of the bell curve and they will not, esp. in East Village, they know it deep down, are in denial, so they get drunk and try to convince themselves they are "better" than the majority who reject their choices. They're in classic denial. They lack humility, as do some of the posters here.

Last edited by branch28; 10-03-2012 at 10:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago