Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 08:18 AM

537 posts, read 1,035,187 times

Advertisements

Chicago Leads U.S. Cities In Largest Influx Of Downtown Residents, U.S. Census Report Shows
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 08:26 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default Saw that last week, no surprise...

The massive overbuilding that developers did in the "boom" means that there is an excess of residential units. Long term the fallout could be a positive or negative. Right now the folks on the upside down side of condo values are suffering...

(the news item I saw last week was from one of Crain's real estate email newsletters, I prefer that to HuffPo...)

Also no surprise that place like Cicero, Elmwood Park, Oak Lawn/Park and other of "Chicago's inner suburbs experienced a significant population decline".

Old 10-03-2012, 08:29 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
Why did Huff Po cherry pick? Downtown Chicago saw a huge percentage gain, true and AWESOME, but they're not the most. St. Louis' downtown population increased 350+% between 2000 and 2010 (easy to do when you had so few to begin with obviously!). I first assumed they were only talking about the largest cities, but then they listed Dayton, OH in their losses section.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:35 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default What? HuffPo showing media bias???

No! Shocked! Shocked I say!

Hey before things "changed" Chicago was "fly over" territory to the media elites at HuffPo. If you can get 'em to beleive MO means "more Obama" maybe they'll focus on St. Louis...

In fairness (something they no nothing of...) I believe the combination of relatively healthy population to begin with gives Chicago a big edge in terms of absolute numbers, not just percentage gain.

Depending on how that is managed it could have far ranging impacts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Why did Huff Po cherry pick? Downtown Chicago saw a huge percentage gain, true and AWESOME, but they're not the most. St. Louis' downtown population increased 350+% between 2000 and 2010 (easy to do when you had so few to begin with obviously!). I first assumed they were only talking about the largest cities, but then they listed Dayton, OH in their losses section.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:38 AM

I think Missouri is getting all the attention it can get with this Akin nonsense. That guy is the worst.

Anyway, Huff Po is a blog and of course shows a bias -- especially because they don't have a big editorial staff -- more just guests writers who op/ed on anything they think of at the moment.

I don't know that we need to make their political leanings more relevant to this conversation than they are; I just think it's a weird "article."

Old 10-03-2012, 09:09 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,680,024 times
Just think, they used a two mile radius of city hall as the area limits, and how much of this was encompassed by the lake?

Old 10-03-2012, 09:20 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,063,241 times
Yeah 2 miles within city hall is pretty marginal really.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:26 AM

Ohhh I should have read the original Marketwatch article. I don't think I understand their definition of "downtown" -- clearly thats a big part of the issue. And then that article mentions that it's metro areas of 5 million plus. Anyway ...

Old 10-03-2012, 10:01 AM

1,312 posts, read 1,871,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
...Anyway, Huff Po is a blog and of course shows a bias -- especially because they don't have a big editorial staff -- more just guests writers who op/ed on anything they think of at the moment...
No! Shocked! Shocked, I say, to whoever thought a blog was ever a reputable source for news when it favored their view, and discounted it as "bias" when it didn't!

Blog = Web + Log = Internet + "Dear Diary..."

Back on topic: I saw that too (along with the City Hall bit). I could very well be a part of future statistics if the numbers are right. It would make my commute a whole lot easier. Plus, living in the Loop (or two miles from the Daley Center/City Hall, per the article) affords much more opportunity to go different places in the city. The trains are set up to radiate out from there, buses to a lesser extent. Plenty of times I have wanted to go to Pilsen to get some delicious food, but being where I am currently, that means a very long train ride, or a train ride and a very long bus ride.

Living in the Loop cuts the distance/time to anywhere, almost in half. That's a positive in my book.

Last edited by A2DAC1985; 10-03-2012 at 10:03 AM.. Reason: for realization

Old 10-03-2012, 10:07 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,680,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
The trains are set up to radiate out from there, buses to a lesser extent. Plenty of times I have wanted to go to Pilsen to get some delicious food, but being where I am currently, that means a very long train ride, or a train ride and a very long bus ride.

Living in the Loop cuts the distance/time to anywhere, almost in half. That's a positive in my book.
Well, that would be silly. You should just hop in your 4x4 SUV and drive there.
That way the city can ticket you for parking and get some revenue.

/sarcasm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago