Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 12:53 PM

968 posts, read 2,669,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I used to live down the street from Taylor Allderdice. It's kinda strange seeing a crop of celebrities/semi-celebrities coming outta that place.

Yeah , Wasn't/Isn't that sort of the Whitney Young/New Trier of Pittsburgh ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 01:36 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,958,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
Even people as far away as IOWA blame their increasing crime rate on tearing down the projects.
Actually it's true in some areas to a small extent. I lived in Iowa when some of them were relocated to Iowa. There was a string of robberies at some gas stations within a few months where I lived and I remember all of them were committed by people relocated via Section 8 from Chicago. There were also a few times I personally ran into some causing trouble. One time my friend and I were out drinking, and walking on the sidewalk some tried to pick a fight with us basically saying "we from chicago, we're going to kill you" etc because my friend walking on the right side of the sidewalk lightly bumped into one of them. Nothing happened, but there was actually a spike in crime and if you look through the records in some cities in Iowa, you'll see exactly who was doing it.

Obviously there's other people committing crimes there, but I very well remember the crime spike and the news surrounding it

Old 10-05-2012, 05:46 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,265,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoylekim View Post
Yeah , Wasn't/Isn't that sort of the Whitney Young/New Trier of Pittsburgh ??
Not quite. More of the Lincoln Park HS/Lakeview HS of Pittsburgh -- enough urban chaos to scare the more timid parents away but with just stable enough environment and enough honors programs that converted urbanites can stomach sending their kids there rather than retreat back to suburbia.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:35 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,829,208 times
Quote:
His name is Snoop LION now! lmao
LMAAAOOOOO I forgot that

Old 10-05-2012, 07:57 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,320,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Actually it's true in some areas to a small extent. I lived in Iowa when some of them were relocated to Iowa. There was a string of robberies at some gas stations within a few months where I lived and I remember all of them were committed by people relocated via Section 8 from Chicago. There were also a few times I personally ran into some causing trouble. One time my friend and I were out drinking, and walking on the sidewalk some tried to pick a fight with us basically saying "we from chicago, we're going to kill you" etc because my friend walking on the right side of the sidewalk lightly bumped into one of them. Nothing happened, but there was actually a spike in crime and if you look through the records in some cities in Iowa, you'll see exactly who was doing it.

Obviously there's other people committing crimes there, but I very well remember the crime spike and the news surrounding it
Oh ok. I knew that the public housing taredowns had a little to do with their crime spike, and I know some of the towns there even had like a 200% increase in their black population but i was just always skeptical since a vast majority of those displaced people stayed in the chicago area. Not only that, but it seemed like people in Iowa were constantly point fingers at Chicago for their crime spike. Guess they weren't wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jamaica,Queens boy View Post
LMAAAOOOOO I forgot that
He changed b/c he's a ratsafarian now. He said the high priest (no pun intended) told him to change his name.

mas23

Old 10-05-2012, 08:14 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,875,541 times
The Disciples went to Rogers Park!

Old 10-05-2012, 08:36 PM

575 posts, read 617,659 times
OP: The same gangs that were in the projects were already in many other places throughout the city (and south suburbs); so it was just a question of linking up with another set. I met a Vice Lord that couldn't stay near Cabrini when the one VL building was torn down because, except for that building, Cabrini was GD, so he moved in with some family on the near west side in a VL area.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:38 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,875,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheOrangeCat View Post
OP: The same gangs that were in the projects were already in many other places throughout the city (and south suburbs); so it was just a question of linking up with another set. I met a Vice Lord that couldn't stay near Cabrini when the one VL building was torn down because, except for that building, Cabrini was GD, so he moved in with some family on the near west side in a VL area.
I met a Vice Lord once too. Wasn't much of a conversation though. I prefer to spend my social time with the Latin Kings!

Old 10-05-2012, 08:44 PM

562 posts, read 990,498 times
I can attest to the dispersal further downstate. In my hometown of Galesburg there have been a string of robberies and thefts and shootings that are attributed to gang member relocations. At the time a few years ago there was plentiful housing for section 8 participants and the local prison was a magnet for gang families that relocated for proximity. Back when I was in high school there was an uptick in gang (separated by families) violence that resulted in record fights and gun threats. Needless to say, all of this has had a negative effect on a town largely depressed since the 2004 departure of major manufacturing. The crime is going nowhere now.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:06 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,958,988 times
Quote:
Oh ok. I knew that the public housing taredowns had a little to do with their crime spike, and I know some of the towns there even had like a 200% increase in their black population but i was just always skeptical since a vast majority of those displaced people stayed in the chicago area. Not only that, but it seemed like people in Iowa were constantly point fingers at Chicago for their crime spike. Guess they weren't wrong.
Yeah, I mean where I was...there was an actual measurable spike in crime when some more came over and I remember all of the gas station armed robberies that occured within a two week period were from guys from Chicago who had come over to Iowa less than 6 months prior.

My friends would say it before, and I never believed them, until it started happening and I started reading the articles and police reports of the crimes.

I think it's settled now, at least where I lived. I don't think it's as much of a problem anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago