Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 11:22 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
What do you mean by this?
Just what I said, it seems clear enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 11:32 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,219,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Just what I said, it seems clear enough.
Why the flippant response? I wanted you to elaborate more. Are you saying blacks in Chicago have shot themselves in the foot socially and politically self-marginalized from the rest of the city?

Old 10-15-2012, 11:43 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
Why the flippant response? I wanted you to elaborate more.
Not flippant but terse.

As a group Blacks had far more political power years ago when Washington was elected. Now that power power has eroded and though the city might see another Black mayor it won't be because of Black political power. It makes me wonder if one of the reasons for tearing down the projects and scattering the residents was to weaken Blacks as a political force in the city.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:53 AM

283 posts, read 447,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
In regards to what I bolded above, I say WTF? You think white people love racism and segregation?
There are.....forums which would suggest that. Granted they're crappy forums....

Old 10-15-2012, 12:37 PM

3,924 posts, read 6,836,808 times
Chicago is not any different in regards to segregation than any other major city. I realize that a majority of the violence stricken areas are mostly black occupied, but that has been the same way for years. It is not a direct factor that would contribute to people "recently" moving south. As I said before, white or black, love or hate. There is no direct relationship between the color of your skin and your opinion of Chicago.

To say that the color of your skin has anything to do with your opinion of Chicago you are yourself a racist. Just because some sort of pattern may exist to help prove that theory, it doesn't make it true for everyone. Until its true for everyone, it isn't worth talking about. I can introduce you to quite a few whites who hated living in Chicago. I know a few that moved to Cali, North Carolina, Florida, and other states to get away.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:47 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Hi chiguy,

The color of a persons skin color can determine a persons experience. I think this is what op is trying to communicate.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:54 PM

896 posts, read 1,399,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
I think that's true but I also think the negative impacts of segregation touch white people in ways they may not realize.

When we talk about crazy it is that your average Big Ten transplant won't consider more than a few neighborhoods, think about how that enables the landlords in these areas to charge outrageous rents (or for buying a condo or whatever).

The City is a huge place, having one's options restricted by income sucks, but so does having one's options restricted by ignorance.

Then there's just the cultural loss... the irony is completely lost on those who will show up to Blues Fest every summer but yet have little desire to actually engage, befriend or work with black folks. If the 1800 block of N. Lincoln avenue or St. Patrick's Day bar-hopping is someone's idea of the best of Chicago, I just pity them, seriously.
This is an extremely good point. However, it is like that in almost every major city. Most of the trendy quote neighborhoods are in small numbers. Btw, I have traveled a lot, but it seems similar. However, it does bring more ignorance and more restriction compare to other cities.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:59 PM

896 posts, read 1,399,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
I think that's true but I also think the negative impacts of segregation touch white people in ways they may not realize.

When we talk about crazy it is that your average Big Ten transplant won't consider more than a few neighborhoods, think about how that enables the landlords in these areas to charge outrageous rents (or for buying a condo or whatever).

The City is a huge place, having one's options restricted by income sucks, but so does having one's options restricted by ignorance.

Then there's just the cultural loss... the irony is completely lost on those who will show up to Blues Fest every summer but yet have little desire to actually engage, befriend or work with black folks. If the 1800 block of N. Lincoln avenue or St. Patrick's Day bar-hopping is someone's idea of the best of Chicago, I just pity them, seriously.

I 100% agree with. However, how can you blame a transplant 80-90 of the black people here act ignorant and ghetto. There is very few to exception. There is just to much culture difference and divide. Now if most the black people in Chicago were like African Americans i.e most assimulated like in places like Seattle, L.A, Minneapolis then I you would have a valid point. It would not even make any sense. When I go to cities out there I end up meeting black people I can relate to and be friends with.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:04 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
^Looks to me as though there's plenty of ignorance to go around.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:32 PM

715 posts, read 1,073,941 times
Anytime I talk with someone who is thinking of leaving Chicago, its due to economic factors or family matters (needing to be closer to other family members), not anything involving racism or segregation in the city. People are tired of their dollar not going as far as it once went or not finding a job supplies a reasonable cost of living.

I have to say that I love Chicago overall, but it has its problems for sure. I can understand when someone doesn't like being priced out of an area that they grew up in or have to flee a neighborhood because of a sudden increase in crime. They look around for somewhere else safe to go only to discover that the comparably affordable area is far outside of the city where a car is mandatory and less amenities in general. The person who does move, because they can deal with being far out and having to drive everywhere, moves thinking they are escaping and starting over only to discover in a short time some of the same people they are looking to get away from are venturing into the same areas.

Anyway, I like I said before, I don't hear people talking about racism/segregation being the catalyst for their leaving or their hate. Economics, all day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago