Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 09:57 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
But do i have to call in advance?
Harold Washington is a public library and should have what you need. It's the only downtown public one worth considering for any serious research.

Newberry is more specialized. Read about them and if you think they'll have what you need for your research call to find out about getting access.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 09:09 AM

934 posts, read 1,441,390 times
The Harold Washington is a beautiful library. I love the Winter Garden on the 9th floor. What surprised me is the building isn't that old, yet it looks like something from the 1920s-1930s, maybe even older.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:15 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallensrvnge View Post
The Harold Washington is a beautiful library. I love the Winter Garden on the 9th floor. What surprised me is the building isn't that old, yet it looks like something from the 1920s-1930s, maybe even older.
Yeah, that's because it was mostly championed by the Union League Club, which is a generous and civic-minded but somewhat stodgy city club that prefers tradition to progressiveness in many things.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:52 AM

1,946 posts, read 7,374,648 times
Harold Washington is the largest library in the country! A very cool place.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:40 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Half unrelated, but Newberry Library also has a massive book sale/fair on the last weekend of July every year.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:48 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Shockingly small amount of public reading space...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Harold Washington is the largest library in the country! A very cool place.
There are very few places to actually read / work. Check out some of these spaces: The 35 Most Amazing Libraries In The World

Count of volumes is a pretty standard measure, other cities with small populations do far better in comparison: List of the largest libraries in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not well loved by the architecture community: Harold Washington Library One of World’s Ugliest Buildings? « The Chicago Art Blog

Old 10-21-2012, 05:25 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,543,241 times
I always found that, especially on HWLC's upper floors, there were always desks to be found around the edges of the building. The winter garden is usually used for events, so they don't always leave many tables & chairs out.

The old Chicago Public Library is now called the Cultural Center, and you'll still find lots of quiet spaces there but few books.

The Newberry is a private reference library, and they have stringent security -- you must store bags in a locker and sign in each time. Still, it's a beautiful and quiet space, and anyone with a current ID can obtain a reader card.

For a publicly accessible research library near the Loop, your best bet is probably UIC's Richard J. Daley library. It's just south of the tall tower on UIC's campus, about a mile southwest of the Loop.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:17 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Have not been in a few years, but I remember lack of light in UIC's library was creepy...

I like the being able to grab a rare window with southern exposure at Harold Washington.

UIC lighting plan reminded me of "Blade Runner" -- the exposed concrete sucks up light and the weak fluorescents make everything look like post apocalyptic movie set...

Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
I always found that, especially on HWLC's upper floors, there were always desks to be found around the edges of the building. The winter garden is usually used for events, so they don't always leave many tables & chairs out.

The old Chicago Public Library is now called the Cultural Center, and you'll still find lots of quiet spaces there but few books.

The Newberry is a private reference library, and they have stringent security -- you must store bags in a locker and sign in each time. Still, it's a beautiful and quiet space, and anyone with a current ID can obtain a reader card.

For a publicly accessible research library near the Loop, your best bet is probably UIC's Richard J. Daley library. It's just south of the tall tower on UIC's campus, about a mile southwest of the Loop.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:41 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,543,241 times
Yeah, the entirety of UIC feels like one giant concrete bunker. Even the high-rise offices are dim and fluorescent feeling, since the windows are darkly tinted.

That said, it's a substantial academic library that's open to the public, and our OP has "to write a research paper and actually use sources other than the internet." HWLC has pretty good collections for a municipal library, but within one mile UIC and Newberry offer vastly superior collections. (The Newberry's is particularly splendid in its focus areas.)

Old 10-23-2012, 12:44 AM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallensrvnge View Post
Yes, when I first moved to Chicago I assumed HWLC was a historic building. I was very surprised to learn that it was built in the 1990s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago