Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 08:18 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times

Advertisements

Hosea Sanders has a giant freakin' head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 08:31 AM

1,003 posts, read 2,430,439 times
That is a great picture but I really hope its not yalls time square.

I am tired of talking about Chicago I am sooo ready to move there already!

I've gotten over the walking everywhere, long commutes, people snatching babies from wombs, Latin kings, muggings, streets with pee puddles. I'm ready bring it on!

Old 05-14-2009, 08:58 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,635,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
^^ yet more proof that Chicago simply doesn't have a "Times Square."
Exactly, I dont understand why people insist on trying to draw a comparison that dosent exist, at least anywhere else in the United States.

Now Tokyo, that place is something
Memories of Shibuya on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/manganite/1349056353/ - broken link)
Shinjuku nights on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/manganite/391469293/ - broken link)

Or Hong Kong
Kowloon on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/toshio1/1697243069/ - broken link)

Old 05-14-2009, 09:02 AM

725 posts, read 1,850,165 times
I was walking through Millenium Park on Tuesday and thinking it was like a smaller version of Central Park (and prettier too.) The gardens are beautiful there, and you look up and see the skyline. Beautiful! The new walkway to the Art Institute is going to be very cool, and there are wooden board-walk style walkways around the gardens. It's a gorgeous place to hang out on lunch break.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:18 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default Maddening but true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
I wondered about that statement myself

The Feds do a comparison of housing costs, transportation & utility costs to arrive at these location adjustments.

2009 General Schedule Pay Scale

San Fran is "top tier", of which I have no arguement, having been out there for a bit. NEXT is Houston! Then NYC, then LA (nothing to argue there either). But then is HARTFORD ?!? And Chicago is below that? HOW?!?

Old 05-14-2009, 09:35 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa Rica Chica View Post
I was walking through Millenium Park on Tuesday and thinking it was like a smaller version of Central Park (and prettier too.) The gardens are beautiful there, and you look up and see the skyline. Beautiful! The new walkway to the Art Institute is going to be very cool, and there are wooden board-walk style walkways around the gardens. It's a gorgeous place to hang out on lunch break.
The older Olmstead-created parts of Lincoln Park are a better paralllel for Central Park if you ask me. Though nothing really compares to the energy of Central Park. It was a master stroke in the creation of New York.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:39 AM

188 posts, read 605,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
The older Olmstead-created parts of Lincoln Park are a better paralllel for Central Park if you ask me. Though nothing really compares to the energy of Central Park. It was a master stroke in the creation of New York.
I agree. Lincoln Park echoes Central Park more closely for me, as well. Especially with the style of buildings nearby.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:05 PM

725 posts, read 1,850,165 times
I guess it was just walking through a "park" with the tall buildings as a backdrop. Just saying.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:21 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,663,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
For being such a large city, and for having the motto it does, you would think Chicago would have done more to play up the "forest" theme.

As it is, Chicago's parks simply suck. They're just flat land, some symmetrically placed trees and grass. Millennium Park is a giant waste of land I don't think I'll ever love... Much less like.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:21 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,635,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by binarybelle View Post
I agree. Lincoln Park echoes Central Park more closely for me, as well. Especially with the style of buildings nearby.
+1.

Grant Park is wildly different than Central. Grant Park is super super formal and rigid in design...it was basically built for the rich folks of the day to parade up and down in the evenings in their fancy clothes, and people to sit on the sidelines and watch the display. It also dosent help that there are major busy roads intersecting the park at multiple point, as well as lake shore drive which completely cuts it off from the lake.

Contrast that with Central Park, where if you didnt know better, you would think you were out in the wilderness in some points.

Besides having trees and grass, theres really nothing alike between Grant and Central, and if you do put them head to head, I dont think anyone would even question which is far and away superior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago