Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 07:15 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,070,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
Orange county "middle American"? I'm beginning to suspect people are using the term interchangeably with "votes Republican."
No, not really. Orange County is too wealthy to be THAT middle American. But it's still a lot more middle American than LA County.

There are places in the south that vote heavily Republican but are pretty far removed from Middle America.

Last edited by urza216; 11-05-2012 at 07:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 07:42 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,314,617 times
Chicago seems to be hated by a lot of these "Middle American" types. Just look at the Politics & Controversies forum

Old 11-05-2012, 07:49 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
Chicago seems to be hated by a lot of these "Middle American" types. Just look at the Politics & Controversies forum
Well compared to rural Kansas...

In Australia, since we're so suburban, cities = their metro areas, so we don't tend to make much of a distinction at all between city and metro.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:15 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,127,062 times
Heres some examples and anecdotes, of how Chicago is different than its coastal peers:

1. Sports. Period. Yes, of course all major cities have sports teams, rapid sports fans, but the depth to which sports teams are such an entrenched part of Chicago life, is very telling. Of course sports are by no means a "middle American pasttime" but the nearly universal support/involvement, is one VERY clear aspect of Chicago that it shares with its midwestern peers than its coastal peers. When the bears were in the playoffs, the Bears logo was lit up in the highrises! Back in the 80s, bears scarves were draped on the Art Institute lions. You are asked if you are a Cubs Fan or a Sox fan. In LA, most people could care less about the major league sports teams. There is currently no NFL team, and most people don't care. Although the USC Trojans are the closest thing. Lakers are pretty huge. But its just not the same.

2. Yes of course there is greasy, hearty food in coastal cities, and you can ABSOLUTELY get whatever healthy food you want in Chicago. And conversely, LA is covered in donut shops. And In and Out is not exactly avocadoes and sprouts. But that doesn't change the fact, that Chicago is known for its heavy comfort food. Trust me, there are simply MUCH fewer overweight people in LA than in Chicago. Obviously however, Chicago does have many, many fit people and beautiful women that can hold their own against anywhere.

3. Yes, Chicagos economy is services/finances, and white collared today. Those are simply national trends. Pittsburgh makes virtually no steel anymore, and its economy is health care/biotech, etc. Yet the blue collared roots might still run deep. The former Mayor Daley presided and pushed Chicago to be a modern, global city, but his style of talking is obviously a product of a blue collared heritage. I can't see Bloomberg or even Guiliani saying the kinds of things that Daley did. When you speak in a no nonense, (yet friendly way) it is a reflection of the fact that your family is not far removed from the factories.

4. People get married later than New York/California. Outside the Gold Coast/River North/Mag Mile, just look at the other nightlife districts. Wrigleyville and Wicker Park are overwhelmingly post collegiate. You hardly see a 35+ in sight. In New York and LA, the demographics you find in River North/Gold Coast are much more widespread across many, many more neighborhoods/districts (with more 30 and even 40 something singles).

Obviously none of this takes away from the fact, that Chicagos urban amenities, lifestyles, and attractions are second to none. A place can be a global city, yet still be a product, and a reflectance of its region. But I will agree however that what is middle American can also be found equally on the coasts. Particularly Boston/New England. Less so the NYC tri state area and urban California.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:24 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,209,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
There are PLEANTY of "middle Americans" in Orange County, California. I hear Upstate NY has lots of them too.
I can't speak for the OP, but I was using "Middle America" literally to mean the part of America between the coasts. I might put the western part of Upstate NY in that category, but Orange County, CA is definitely West Coast, not Middle America.

I was just semi-agreeing with the OP that perhaps people who live between the coasts can relate with Chicago more than NY or LA.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:56 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Aren't New Yorkers just as obsessed with their baseball teams? I agree you don't see many overweight people in LA and NY compared to other areas. Dunno about the marriage thing. I always thought people got married earlier in the Midwest.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:22 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,316,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I just saw 'Planes, Trains and Automobiles' and was thinking about John Hughes movies from the 80s set in Chicago, as well as the Blues Brothers movies, and thought that Chicago is like 'Middle America's' big city. It's not as prominent to the world, but it represents good old fashioned American values (freedom, hard working, big car, big house, family). It's kind of everything you want in a big city, but with down home Midwestern values and a comfortable familiarity. It still has sprawling suburbs with nice, old timber homes and manicured lawns and gardens. Would you agree with my observation?
I've read the other posts in response to your op and I think there are major truths in most of the posts and grains of truth in the remainder posts. Having been born and raised here I am so pro Chicago (but not via the criticism of other areas of the country), yes even in spite of all of our difficulties and imperfections, that I have to always try to temper my posts in the Chicago threads; sometimes a daunting task.

Chicago does have down home Midwestern values and I attribute that to the fact that not only people from all over the world have brought their values here but people from all over the U.S. as well. Having once been a major player in the manufacturing arena the children whose parents and grandparents worked in those industries came up under an honest days work, your word is your bond, your character and reputation are your most prized possession, so on and so forth.

The bottom line for me is that which many posters have said, whatever you are looking for to live a decent life can be found in Chicago, wherever in the world or nation you are from you can make it here. I have witnessed immigrants who have come here with absolutely nothing but the clothes on their backs and in the past thirty plus years have become self employed business owners, had families, bought homes, maintained their cultures and kept their religions and faith in tact.

I know many Americans who don't understand how this is possible in light of many obstacles, language being the foremost obstacle. But as we all know, when there is a will there is a way.

Yes, Chicago does, for me, have a comfortable familiarity.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:30 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,420,366 times
Pretty sure that was a typo and he meant to say that Chicagoans get married earlier than their counterparts in NY & LA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Aren't New Yorkers just as obsessed with their baseball teams? I agree you don't see many overweight people in LA and NY compared to other areas. Dunno about the marriage thing. I always thought people got married earlier in the Midwest.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:55 AM

47 posts, read 76,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post

Chicago does have down home Midwestern values and I attribute that to the fact that not only people from all over the world have brought their values here but people from all over the U.S. as well. Having once been a major player in the manufacturing arena the children whose parents and grandparents worked in those industries came up under an honest days work, your word is your bond, your character and reputation are your most prized possession, so on and so forth.

You can also find these values in Houston, L.A., NYC, Atlanta, Miami, Charlotte, etc.. Does that mean they have down home Midwestern values also. All of the big and small cities in the south and west boast these same regional traits.

The bottom line for me is that which many posters have said, whatever you are looking for to live a decent life can be found in Chicago, wherever in the world or nation you are from you can make it here. I have witnessed immigrants who have come here with absolutely nothing but the clothes on their backs and in the past thirty plus years have become self employed business owners, had families, bought homes, maintained their cultures and kept their religions and faith in tact.
Once again you can find this happening all over the country even NYC. Most people just view Manhattan as the whole NYC. You can find these same situations in Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx and Staten Island. Also a very large swath of Southern California (L.A.area). It is new immigrants from Asia and Latin America that are preventing major decline and rebuilding those cities.

As a person who lives in Chicago now but, has lived in other regions of the country, my experience has been that Midwestern values or these hard working values are not just a regional trait. They exist all over the entire country.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:26 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,316,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanpln View Post
Once again you can find this happening all over the country even NYC. Most people just view Manhattan as the whole NYC. You can find these same situations in Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx and Staten Island. Also a very large swath of Southern California (L.A.area). It is new immigrants from Asia and Latin America that are preventing major decline and rebuilding those cities.

As a person who lives in Chicago now but, has lived in other regions of the country, my experience has been that Midwestern values or these hard working values are not just a regional trait. They exist all over the entire country.
Sincere apologies as I never meant my commentary to imply that Chicago has the market cornered on values, ethics and character, however, I am Chicago born and raised and I so love the city of Chicago so very much that I may come off as exceedingly biased about this city

You're absolutely right that those Midwestern values and ethics which are found in Chicago are found all over this country and in every region...NYC, Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx, Staten Island, California, just to name a few. Truth be told, I have even experienced Midwestern values and ethics in Canada, the countries of Europe and South America as well, so yes, indeed they do exist all over the world. It just goes to show you that they are not necessarily Midwestern values and ethics but rather point to a man's/woman's character wherever he/she may be from.

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago