Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 10:42 PM

2 posts, read 4,808 times

Advertisements

Interested in getting some other perspectives...

Heres the deal, I grew up in the Chicagoland area but during college and afterwords, have lived away from the area. I fell in love with Chicago when I was a kid and have always wanted to live there (i.e. downtown) except maybe for the cold winters!. I always pictured myself living there in a high rise with a lake view or maybe somewhere around Lincoln Park or the Lakeview area/boystown area. I still enjoy the nightlife once in a while and would like to socialize more, enjoy the food and culture and energy of Chicago in general.

Recently a couple of things are changing making it easier for me to relocate and instantly I thought I was a great time to do just that. Then it hit me, i'm almost 45 now...maybe i'm too old for the Lincoln Park/LakeView/Boystown area?

What do you think? If not those areas, what would be a better 'fit' (more age appropriate)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 10:50 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
Andersonville / Edgewater seems like it fits the bill.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:00 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,966,855 times
It depends on what your looking for.

Only reason I could see living in Lakeview as gay man is for the clubs. I personally don't like the area. Andersonville seems to be popular now a long with Irving Park and Edgewater. All recommendations are without the drunken mess called Lakeview.

If your looking for high rise type of community, check out some of the neighborhoods around downtown like South Loop, West Loop, River North and Gold Coast.

Perhaps if you could post information about price point, purchase or rent, type of amenities, commuting preferences and family status (moving with children).

Old 07-05-2013, 11:25 PM

2 posts, read 4,808 times
Thanks and Thanks for the quick replies! Didn't expect that to be so quick.

MJ: Its still in an early planning stage, but I would be relocating with my partner (36)...no children. Price point (Assuming apartment for the 1st year of the move:
~1500/mon max.
- 2 bedroom/2 bath
- washer & dryer in the unit
- at least 1 garage spot
- modern, clean, quiet+++

Probably an unreasonable request but those are 'ideal' not required.

Thanks again!

Old 07-05-2013, 11:31 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,165,113 times
Maybe consider Gold Coast, seems like a more mature crowd. Although I'm sure lake view has all age ranges, it does seem to be geared towards a younger crowd. Edge water? Not much help sorry!

Old 07-05-2013, 11:51 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,168,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsj View Post
Thanks and Thanks for the quick replies! Didn't expect that to be so quick.

MJ: Its still in an early planning stage, but I would be relocating with my partner (36)...no children. Price point (Assuming apartment for the 1st year of the move:
~1500/mon max.
- 2 bedroom/2 bath
- washer & dryer in the unit
- at least 1 garage spot
- modern, clean, quiet+++

Probably an unreasonable request but those are 'ideal' not required.

Thanks again!
You might be able to find that in Berwyn, which is a first-ring suburb that has been increasingly popular with partnered gay couples. The price point is your biggest sticking point - you're simply not going to get all those things at that price in the more popular parts of the city. Certainly not in the Gold Coast, where some studios rent for more than $1,500 without parking.

Cutting the second bath, doing without the laundry in-unit, and being willing to park on the street might make the rest of your wish-list items at least plausible in the more popular parts of the lakefront, particularly in Edgewater.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:01 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
You may be able to find that in a few places in Lakeview (I've seen it), but the "modern" thing plus maybe washer and dryer at that price point not really. I was going to suggest Gold Coast - where I live now and I have a handful of gay friends who live here in their 30s and 40s, but the price point won't cut it. I'd probably look more towards Andersonville if I were you. It seems more mature and has more gay establishments than say Gold Coast (even if Gold Coast has a fair amount of gay people).

Old 07-06-2013, 11:31 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,586,016 times
I was going to a shop near Andersonville, and I went down Greenview just south of Foster. Wow such beautiful homes! And quiet. Check that area,, its really beautiful! I think that street reflects other such streets down that way.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:11 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,259,477 times
djsj: You only live once. Follow your dreams. If Chicago is where you want to live and die, it''s where you should live. But there is a caveat. You're 30-years older, it isn't the same Chicago you remember, plus the COL can be a deal breaker.

Come visit for a week. Look realistically at how far your income can take you if you want to do certain things on a regular basis. Can you live without two cars?

Old 07-06-2013, 03:32 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,678,443 times
I also recommend Andersonville as I know someone who fit the demographic of the OP and lived there and loved it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago