Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 02:16 PM

26 posts, read 27,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Zipcar is a great option if you don't need a car for daily commuting but want to have access to one for the occasional shopping trip and the like. And because car rentals tend to be so business person oriented cheap weekend rates are always available for jaunts out of the city.

When I lived in Chicago I needed the car for my commute, but on the weekends it truly never moved. We either went places we could walk to anyway, or didn't want to bother trying to park (and drive!)

If you're on a limited income I would definitely consider getting rid of it. Or perhaps you have some family you could leave it with for a trial basis?
Unfortunately, I know no one in Chicago except a guy used to date a few years ago who lives near Orland Park I believe. lol anyway.. thats a no. I really think that I would consider getting rid of it, if i lived and worked in the city.. but not sure about if i worked in the suburbs. I am afraid that would pose an issue with commuting :/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 02:16 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
Living in the city while working in the 'burbs is fairly common and it totally sucks. If it were less common it would actually suck less because traffic wouldn't be so bad. Chicago really doesn't have a reverse commute. Of course that also means that lots of people do it, so in theory it's doable.

I worked in the suburbs and after a year of living near work we moved into the city, commute be damned. If I'd stayed in Chicago any longer I'd have been looking for gainful employment closer to the city for sure. Most people will go crazy if left to do this for the long term.

Old 11-13-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamTamz View Post
Unfortunately, I know no one in Chicago except a guy used to date a few years ago who lives near Orland Park I believe. lol anyway.. thats a no. I really think that I would consider getting rid of it, if i lived and worked in the city.. but not sure about if i worked in the suburbs. I am afraid that would pose an issue with commuting :/
Oh I meant like family near your current home where you could leave it, so that if you decided you hate being car less you could fly home and get it and wouldn't have to buy a new one.

But yeah, you're totally, right, that's really all a moot point until you know where you'll be working.

Old 11-13-2012, 02:24 PM

I am thinking of saving more $$ (more than what i already saved and allocated towards moving) and just making the move .. and looking securing a job once I get there. I feel like it is rather difficult to have any reputable employer take me seriously or give me a shot at even an interview.. when I am still here. Any thoughts to that? Has anyone done that? I figure if i have enough to cover at least a few mos of not working, than I can at least be there and probably have a better shot at finding something. The temp agencies I talked to all said the same thing "your a great fit, call us when you get here or just before you get here" .. sigh

Old 11-13-2012, 03:04 PM

^The problem will be finding an apartment to rent without proof of income.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:39 PM

5 posts, read 16,660 times
You had mentioned that you work for BofA, right? Is there no possibility of transferring? I don't have much advise regarding the job stuff, but living-wise, you can find a great place in a lot of the less-hip-but-still-great neighborhoods for under $1000/mo (e.g. Hyde Park, Logan Square, Rogers Park). You can probably find that without too much difficulty in Bucktown or Wicker Park too, if you look in the right places. Maybe in Lincoln Park, but that's more of a stretch (my now-wife and her old roommate found a place there for $1200 for the two of them two years ago). I have friends who live in Bridgeport on the south side and love it, too. I'd say keep the car if you'll be traveling around the city much, since the L's spoke-and-wheel system can be annoying. For example, to get to airport from where we live (a block from the red line) takes well over an hour on any public transit, even though in a car it's just a few miles away.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeabody86 View Post
You had mentioned that you work for BofA, right? Is there no possibility of transferring? I don't have much advise regarding the job stuff, but living-wise, you can find a great place in a lot of the less-hip-but-still-great neighborhoods for under $1000/mo (e.g. Hyde Park, Logan Square, Rogers Park). You can probably find that without too much difficulty in Bucktown or Wicker Park too, if you look in the right places. Maybe in Lincoln Park, but that's more of a stretch (my now-wife and her old roommate found a place there for $1200 for the two of them two years ago). I have friends who live in Bridgeport on the south side and love it, too. I'd say keep the car if you'll be traveling around the city much, since the L's spoke-and-wheel system can be annoying. For example, to get to airport from where we live (a block from the red line) takes well over an hour on any public transit, even though in a car it's just a few miles away.
I do work for BofA.. and would be able to transfer fairly easily (as I have twice already within the company when I moved to Dallas a few years ago, and when I moved back to DC at the beginning of this year) - the only issue is, I work in a corporate office, not a branch. Much of what I do and have done within the company is not what is done at branches. The branches are limited.. basically tellers, asst mgr/mgr and loan officers or customer reps setting up accounts. I will need to do a little more research when I get back to work tomorrow to see what we have via our internal system.. maybe there is an office somewhere there. I am hoping that my background at BofA will help me get my foot in the door at Chase since I would love to work at the Tower in the Loop, but who knows. Again its hard when I'm still in DC :/

Old 11-14-2012, 04:27 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,039,953 times
Quote:
I do work for BofA.. and would be able to transfer fairly easily (as I have twice already within the company when I moved to Dallas a few years ago, and when I moved back to DC at the beginning of this year) - the only issue is, I work in a corporate office, not a branch. Much of what I do and have done within the company is not what is done at branches. The branches are limited.. basically tellers, asst mgr/mgr and loan officers or customer reps setting up accounts. I will need to do a little more research when I get back to work tomorrow to see what we have via our internal system.. maybe there is an office somewhere there. I am hoping that my background at BofA will help me get my foot in the door at Chase since I would love to work at the Tower in the Loop, but who knows. Again its hard when I'm still in DC :/
Surely BOA has an operations center in the Chicago-area?

Also, the bank that I work for (NOT BOA) requires that you remain on-site for at least 2 years after a relocation. You might want to check into that...

Old 11-14-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Surely BOA has an operations center in the Chicago-area?

Also, the bank that I work for (NOT BOA) requires that you remain on-site for at least 2 years after a relocation. You might want to check into that...
Already did.. I had to check when I relocated back to the DC area from Dallas.. HR requires that you be in your current position for at least 12 mos, with the exception of situations like relocation and such. Is YOUR bank hiring?? lol

I got in touch with a staffing agency there today who seemed really interested.. im starting the process however, they are mostly indefinite temp/contract positions and not perm, not many at least. I am not sure how i feel about that... moving to Chicago and working, then boom no work one day. No beuno

Old 11-14-2012, 09:59 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Already did.. I had to check when I relocated back to the DC area from Dallas.. HR requires that you be in your current position for at least 12 mos, with the exception of situations like relocation and such. Is YOUR bank hiring?? lol

I got in touch with a staffing agency there today who seemed really interested.. im starting the process however, they are mostly indefinite temp/contract positions and not perm, not many at least. I am not sure how i feel about that... moving to Chicago and working, then boom no work one day. No beuno
BofA has a large enough presence here. More than just branches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago