Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2012, 12:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,591 times

Advertisements

I'm moving from Kansas City, MO to Chicago for work.

I'm wanting to know what it will be like for someone in my situation. I'm a mid 20 single woman who will be taking public transportation. I'm moving to the Logan Square area near the intersection of Kedzie and Diversey. I've heard a cross between it being hipsterville and gang infested. That being said, I'd like to know what I'm getting into.

I'm originally from the city nicknamed "Killer City" so I've had my fair share of rough neighborhoods and sketchy places. But I want to be prepared since I will be walking alone at times. Can anyone tell me what this area is like, how easy is it to get around, and if the area has lots of offer. I know what you're thinking... it's Chicago, of course it has a lot to offer. But I'm pretty oblivious as to what this experience is going to be like
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 12:47 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,683,928 times
I woudn't call it gang-infested. Although you have to be careful at night alone anywhere in the city, that area isn't that bad. I think of it more like working-class Mexican with a sprinkling of hipsters.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:54 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,187,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post
I woudn't call it gang-infested. Although you have to be careful at night alone anywhere in the city, that area isn't that bad. I think of it more like working-class Mexican with a sprinkling of hipsters.
Kedzie and Logan is hipsters with a sprinkling of working-class Latinos (not only Mexican). It's changing pretty quickly at this point. You have the hipsters along that stretch of Milwaukee and Kedzie and Logan Boulevard expanding and meeting up with the hipsters in Avondale expanding south from Belmont. There are fewer and fewer latino businesses in the area. The blocks between Diversey and Belmont are still somewhat sketchy, and as you go west of Kimball they get sketchier and "gang-ier" still, but sticking closer to Milwaukee you're more likely to get run over by a bicyclist or witness a yarn bomb than see obvious gang activity.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:08 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,325,055 times
I was raised in the area and live in the area (Belmont and Kedzie).

You have nothing to worry about. The only bad part of Logan Square is the far western portion like west of Central Park, which in reality isn't even THAT bad. Not saying it is super safe, but gang infested or ghetto is far from what it is. Maybe just sketchy, and again that is only the part west of Central Park. But the area you are moving to is very safe. If anything Logan Square is becoming an exciting place to move to. There are new shops and restaurants opening all the time, so exciting time for Logan Square.

The population is pretty cool. You have quite a few hipsters, yuppies (found more along the eastern part, especially on Logan Blvd), Mexicans, Cubans and Puerto Ricans. It's very community oriented with a lot to do. There are also several awesome places to eat around there.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:41 PM

1,520 posts, read 2,580,050 times
mostly transplanted suburban hipsters and totally safe

Old 12-10-2012, 01:56 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,897,114 times
Love the area, but like many popular parts of Chicago there can be a predator element right around "last call" time. Outside of that, totally fine. We live a few blocks from the intersection and my wife has never gotten so much as a nasty look.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:58 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,866,447 times
The hipsters and yuppies are taking over from the Puerto Ricans day by day, but everybody seems to get along. Longman and Eagle, just to the south, is a center for Chicago hipsterdom. Yuppie restaurants are going in just to the east on Diversey.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:20 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,325,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobear View Post
The hipsters and yuppies are taking over from the Puerto Ricans day by day, but everybody seems to get along. Longman and Eagle, just to the south, is a center for Chicago hipsterdom. Yuppie restaurants are going in just to the east on Diversey.
East of Diversey? How is that possible? Do you mean Kedzie?

Old 12-17-2012, 02:08 PM

29 posts, read 54,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeforfuture414 View Post
I'm moving from Kansas City, MO to Chicago for work.

I'm wanting to know what it will be like for someone in my situation. I'm a mid 20 single woman who will be taking public transportation. I'm moving to the Logan Square area near the intersection of Kedzie and Diversey. I've heard a cross between it being hipsterville and gang infested. That being said, I'd like to know what I'm getting into.

I'm originally from the city nicknamed "Killer City" so I've had my fair share of rough neighborhoods and sketchy places. But I want to be prepared since I will be walking alone at times. Can anyone tell me what this area is like, how easy is it to get around, and if the area has lots of offer. I know what you're thinking... it's Chicago, of course it has a lot to offer. But I'm pretty oblivious as to what this experience is going to be like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
I was raised in the area and live in the area (Belmont and Kedzie).

You have nothing to worry about. The only bad part of Logan Square is the far western portion like west of Central Park, which in reality isn't even THAT bad. Not saying it is super safe, but gang infested or ghetto is far from what it is. Maybe just sketchy, and again that is only the part west of Central Park. But the area you are moving to is very safe. If anything Logan Square is becoming an exciting place to move to. There are new shops and restaurants opening all the time, so exciting time for Logan Square.

The population is pretty cool. You have quite a few hipsters, yuppies (found more along the eastern part, especially on Logan Blvd), Mexicans, Cubans and Puerto Ricans. It's very community oriented with a lot to do. There are also several awesome places to eat around there.
I live near Milwaukee/Central Park. The "dangerous" gang activity is mostly in southwestern Humbolt Park which is far from where you will be. The gangs won't bother you. Bothering you will just bring heat on them which is what they don't want. You probably won't even see overt gang activity other than some graffiti.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: