Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 09:46 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
1) Argyle Street - Basically Little Vietnam, off the Red Line Argyle stop in Uptown. Bunch of stores, markets, and restaurants. This is right near Andersonville (which has a handful of middle eastern places itself, but it's not falafel/schwarma shops usually...real restaurants).
Actually, one of the best little falafel/schwarma shops I've been to is Taste of Lebanon on Foster just west of Clark. Right across the street from Middles Eastern Bakery. Both are awesome and super cheap.

I always get the lentil soup and a falafel, it's like $5 combined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 09:52 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,391,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashplowe View Post
Prelude, lucky you! But a January move? You must really be a true Chicagoan. :-P Though the weather hasn't been too bad up there lately.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I've narrowed down my search to most likely Lakeview, Logan Square or Wicker Park but I'll have to walk all these neighborhoods first before I know for sure.

I did walk through a bit of Ukranian Village and it struck me as really residential and quiet. Is it just that the vibe of neighborhoods in Chicago are really different than those in DC? Sad that there's no AdMo equivalent but I guess something different has the potential to be equally awesome. :-)

Also when I was there I think I analyzed everything from the perspective of a car-less person but I'm definitely planning on owning a car in Chicago, so maybe that would affect the appeal of the different neighborhoods.
I have been in DC for 4 years, I am ready to leave this city and return to Chicago. Winters here are not nearly as bad as some make it out to be, though they are def worse than DC.

Ukranian Village is a fairly quiet residential neighborhood, though it is close to a lot of other vibrant areas, and Chicago Ave. is vibrant. If you are looking to be a bit closer to the action, I would go with Wicker Park or Lakeview, both of which are more vibrant than Adams Morgan, or at least as vibrant over a much larger area.

To give you a bit of a DC-Chicago neighborhood comparison, I would break it down like this:

Lakeview - Think of Arlington with a baseball stadium (Wrigley Field), though Lakeview looks nothing like Arlington, the crowds and ages are similar.

Lincoln Park - Not really a exact comparison, but I would compare LP to Georgetown somewhat. Both have a University in the neighborhood (DePaul Univ.) and both are two of the wealthier areas of their city. Lincoln Park has a larger nightlife scene than G'town, but doesn't have a retail strip like M Street or Wisconsin (though there is plenty of shopping in LP). A comparison could also be made between Lincoln Park and DuPont Circle.

Wicker Park - Adams Morgan + Logan Circle; lots of restaurants and bars; good mix of different types of people. Great public transit access.

River North - I honestly don't think DC has an area like River North, the closest would probably be 7th street in Chinatown, though River North is probably like 25x larger of an area.

If you are a foodie at all, let me say that you will be upgrading big time in the restaurant department, though DC is getting better, their food scene is light years behind Chicago.

I know these are not exact comparisons, but this will give you an idea of what each neighborhood is like.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:57 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Actually, one of the best little falafel/schwarma shops I've been to is Taste of Lebanon on Foster just west of Clark. Right across the street from Middles Eastern Bakery. Both are awesome and super cheap.

I always get the lentil soup and a falafel, it's like $5 combined.
Yeah, that's true. The place is really good. There's a great Middle Eastern market up there too! Reza's for Persian food is solid as well.

Also, FYI if you like Lentil Soup, the best I've ever had in the US was at Mediterranean Grill & Cuisine in Lincoln Square. It's more of a sit down place but pretty casual. The soup was on par with the soup I learned how to make from a really good cooking school in Istanbul last year. Really good.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:59 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,166,049 times
edgewater/rogers park

Old 01-11-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post

Lakeview - Think of Arlington with a baseball stadium (Wrigley Field), though Lakeview looks nothing like Arlington, the crowds and ages are similar.
Lakeview is a big area, so partially yes I agree, partially no I disagree. The areas around Southport, Wrigley Field, some of the Brown Line only stops like Wellington, I agree. Belmont stop is a little different I'd say, but definitely mixed in those types of people. Also Lakeview East has a better mix of people as does West Lakeview. Boystown definitely does not remind me of Arlington..

Old 01-11-2013, 10:04 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,166,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
edgewater/rogers park
Uptown as well.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Yeah, that's true. The place is really good. There's a great Middle Eastern market up there too! Reza's for Persian food is solid as well.

Also, FYI if you like Lentil Soup, the best I've ever had in the US was at Mediterranean Grill & Cuisine in Lincoln Square. It's more of a sit down place but pretty casual. The soup was on par with the soup I learned how to make from a really good cooking school in Istanbul last year. Really good.
Thanks for the tip, I've by that place and never been tempted. I will definitely try it.

Reza's is pretty good, have you tried Chicago Persian Restaurant - Authentic Persian Cuisine - Middle Eastern Food - Mediterranean Dining - Noon-O-Kabab?

Old 01-11-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Thanks for the tip, I've by that place and never been tempted. I will definitely try it.

Reza's is pretty good, have you tried Chicago Persian Restaurant - Authentic Persian Cuisine - Middle Eastern Food - Mediterranean Dining - Noon-O-Kabab?
Np. Good place, at least last time I went.

I have heard of Noon-O-Kabab but never been in there. I will have to check it out. Looks good. I want to try Semiramis too. I've been slacking on my going to new restaurants lately...

Old 01-11-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Np. Good place, at least last time I went.

I have heard of Noon-O-Kabab but never been in there. I will have to check it out. Looks good. I want to try Semiramis too. I've been slacking on my going to new restaurants lately...
Forgot about Semiramis, I've heard it's really good.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:16 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,391,668 times
Quote:
Lakeview is a big area, so partially yes I agree, partially no I disagree. The areas around Southport, Wrigley Field, some of the Brown Line only stops like Wellington, I agree. Belmont stop is a little different I'd say, but definitely mixed in those types of people. Also Lakeview East has a better mix of people as does West Lakeview. Boystown definitely does not remind me of Arlington..
Correct. I am speaking in generalities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago