Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 05:42 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
I visited the area on my quick trip to Chicago in April 2012. Parked, walked around at 2 am on a Sunday, and then 9 am that Sunday. Seemed lively and fun. Had no idea what was to happen a few months later, and apparently now. Makes me sick.

Just another reason I've lost my enthusiasm somewhat for your city and likely won't relocate.

By the way, regarding crime, Boston just had a 13 yo boy shot while walking to church choir at 7 pm -- in the Roxbury section, just a few miles from Mass. Avenue and Symphony Hall. So it's not just Chicago's problem, but overall it seems much safer in Boston than Chicago.
What do you mean? What happened a few months later? I was out there all summer and it was very lively and fun (if that's your "fun"). The street certainly didn't go out of business or die.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 07:54 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
I visited the area on my quick trip to Chicago in April 2012. Parked, walked around at 2 am on a Sunday, and then 9 am that Sunday. Seemed lively and fun. Had no idea what was to happen a few months later, and apparently now. Makes me sick.

Just another reason I've lost my enthusiasm somewhat for your city and likely won't relocate.

By the way, regarding crime, Boston just had a 13 yo boy shot while walking to church choir at 7 pm -- in the Roxbury section, just a few miles from Mass. Avenue and Symphony Hall. So it's not just Chicago's problem, but overall it seems much safer in Boston than Chicago.
Just out of curiosity--what were the OTHER reasons why you soured on Chicago?

BTW, I also read about the shooting in Roxbury.....sad.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:33 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
I suspect, by your comments, that you've never visited the neighborhood.
I lived at Paulina and Belmont and visited Boystown a lot since living here. Why do you ask?

Old 01-14-2013, 11:15 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
It's weird because I've never once heard any of my friends that frequent bars up there complain about anything bad happening..

Old 01-14-2013, 11:52 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,206,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
What do you mean? What happened a few months later? I was out there all summer and it was very lively and fun (if that's your "fun"). The street certainly didn't go out of business or die.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Are you ever on that street??? I moved here 11 years ago and Halsted is WAY more packed now than it ever was back in the early 2000's. There are also many more bars open then there were just a few years ago. I get sick of the crowds very easy. I'd rather have a dive bar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
I suspect, by your comments, that you've never visited the neighborhood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
It's weird because I've never once heard any of my friends that frequent bars up there complain about anything bad happening..
Ditto. I seem to remember someone on this forum (possibly the same poster?) last year making similar accusations about Boystown, while the people who live and regularly hang out there had no idea what he was talking about.

I have to say there's more than a little bit of racist overtones to it all, also, with use of the word "thugs," and talk of wanting to "prevent them from coming into the area."

Old 01-14-2013, 12:01 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,211,251 times
^^^ This

Old 01-14-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
Ditto. I seem to remember someone on this forum (possibly the same poster?) last year making similar accusations about Boystown, while the people who live and regularly hang out there had no idea what he was talking about.

I have to say there's more than a little bit of racist overtones to it all, also, with use of the word "thugs," and talk of wanting to "prevent them from coming into the area."
No kidding. My girlfriend also lives a few blocks from Halsted and we're eating there quite a bit (not to mention I get my haircut at a place in the area and meeting up with some of our gay friends at some of the bars sometimes). I've honestly never seen anybody who I'd regard as shady in that area outside of that gas station on the corner of Halsted & Addison. I'm not saying there aren't, but I am in the area quite a bit and barely see anybody who i'd be like "uhh hmmm". I've seen it way more on Clark Street near Wrigley. Boystown though?? Seems mostly fine to me.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:39 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post

I think that poster eventually moved to Dallas...

I know that there was some trouble over the last two years (according to those on this forum), but it may have been a little overblown..

Old 01-14-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I think that poster eventually moved to Dallas...

I know that there was some trouble over the last two years (according to those on this forum), but it may have been a little overblown..
And if you read this forum enough, you get the impression from a few posters that there's a full on race war going on in the city. Of course it's overblown.

Maybe I haven't lived here for long enough, but I haven't seen a ton of racial tension outside of a few things the govt has had in place for a long time and outside of some gang stuff.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:31 PM

725 posts, read 3,014,631 times
There used to be a lot of trouble last summer because most were underage kids from the south and west side would apparently come up to Boystown, sporting their red plastic cups in the streets to party, and carried shanks. Personally, I don't have a problem with kids being stupid but who wouldn't have a problem with kids carrying a concealed weapon???

And if you really want to immerse yourself with the drama, some free reading: Take Back Boystown
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago