Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 08:02 PM

14 posts, read 21,578 times

Advertisements

Been in Naperville the past year and I hate it. There's very few single people here and the area is just boring as hell in my opinion.

I found a nice place in downtown Chicago, at Wrigleyville/Lakeview - the place is at Kenmore and Grace.

My only concern is my commute time, basically let me break down my schedule like this:

On Monday - Thursday I'm supposed to be at work from 8AM to 6PM, and I always hit the gym right after work so I'll be ready for my reverse commute at 7-8PM. This is a guarantee, I never miss workouts.

On Friday I usually leave for the gym at 5PM so I'll usually be leaving for my commute at 6-7PM.

I'm well aware that the evening commute shouldn't be much of a problem, but I'm more concerned with the morning commute - if I wake up at 5AM everyday and am out the door by 6AM, will I be guaranteed to make it to work by 8?

I can live with the commute because I assume the social life is worth it - I don't want to live my prime years (I'm 25 this July) in the suburbs with nothing to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 08:07 PM

140 posts, read 183,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiler164 View Post
Been in Naperville the past year and I hate it. There's very few single people here and the area is just boring as hell in my opinion.

I found a nice place in downtown Chicago, at Wrigleyville/Lakeview - the place is at Kenmore and Grace.

My only concern is my commute time, basically let me break down my schedule like this:

On Monday - Thursday I'm supposed to be at work from 8AM to 6PM, and I always hit the gym right after work so I'll be ready for my reverse commute at 7-8PM. This is a guarantee, I never miss workouts.

On Friday I usually leave for the gym at 5PM so I'll usually be leaving for my commute at 6-7PM.

I'm well aware that the evening commute shouldn't be much of a problem, but I'm more concerned with the morning commute - if I wake up at 5AM everyday and am out the door by 6AM, will I be guaranteed to make it to work by 8?

I can live with the commute because I assume the social life is worth it - I don't want to live my prime years (I'm 25 this July) in the suburbs with nothing to do.
The area is ok for the most part. As others will probably tell you, the crime consist of drunken college frats and angry minority flash mobs. BTW avoid advice from marothisu. Guy doesn't know much when it comes to crime.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarmanFox View Post
The area is ok for the most part. As others will probably tell you, the crime consist of drunken college frats and angry minority flash mobs. BTW avoid advice from marothisu. Guy doesn't know much when it comes to crime.
So this place is for frat boys and minorities?

I'm an Indian guy who grew up here since I was 3, basically a white guy in a brown guy's body lol. I dress classy and work out, don't know if I'd fit in here not that I care about other's opinions, but I noticed in Naperville that I stand out like a sore thumb being a well dressed minority who doesn't fit the typical Indian mold seen here

Old 01-21-2013, 08:17 PM

140 posts, read 183,251 times
Quote:

I'm an Indian guy who grew up here since I was 3, basically a white guy in a brown guy's body lol. I dress classy and work out, don't know if I'd fit in here not that I care about other's opinions, but I noticed in Naperville that I stand out like a sore thumb being a well dressed minority who doesn't fit the typical Indian mold seen here
There's actually a very nice Indian community along a stretch of Devon Ave on the northside. Many of the businesses are ethnic Indian and is a very thriving community.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:37 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,317,326 times
Quote:

Please don't listen to Harman's advice. Click on his name and look at all his posts and you will see why.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:54 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,104,634 times
Quote:

As long as your expectations are accurately set, yes you can do this.

You can probably leave by 6:30 am and be okay for 8 am. Just take Lake Shore to lower wacker to the Ike.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
As long as your expectations are accurately set, yes you can do this.

You can probably leave by 6:30 am and be okay for 8 am. Just take Lake Shore to lower wacker to the Ike.
Do you have any idea how bad my gas mileage would be doing this? Typically my 2009 Camry gives 280 miles per tank in Naperville and 550-600 miles per tank when I'm only on the highway with minimal stops.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:18 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,104,634 times
Quote:
Do you have any idea how bad my gas mileage would be doing this? Typically my 2009 Camry gives 280 miles per tank in Naperville and 550-600 miles per tank when I'm only on the highway with minimal stops.
There's a best western on Broadway in East Lakeview, near to where you are looking. Maybe it would be worth it to stay there one night to get an idea of travel times in the morning or evening.

Otherwise, I would definitely recommend the West Loop. It will shave 20-40 minutes off your commute, while also giving you the social/nightlife aspects of the city that you are looking for.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
There's a best western on Broadway in East Lakeview, near to where you are looking. Maybe it would be worth it to stay there one night to get an idea of travel times in the morning or evening.

Otherwise, I would definitely recommend the West Loop. It will shave 20-40 minutes off your commute, while also giving you the social/nightlife aspects of the city that you are looking for.
Sorry aboit my last post, worded it wrong and it sounds a bit harsh, not what I meant to convey.

That said, I'm not finding many places to live in the west loop on craigslist. I wonder if its more expensive because of its convenience factor.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:53 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,913,587 times
Kenmore/Grace is a good location for your in Chicago stuff IMO. It's near the Sheridan red line stop. A few years ago there used to be a gang-run club near there I think, but now I believe it's gone. Going west there onto Clark you have a bunch of bars of course since this is the very top part of Wrigleyville (there's a decent one at the corner of Irving Park and Sheridan called Holiday Club. Different feel than the Wrigleyville bars, but it's laid back there. They serve food too).

It's a long haul to Lisle from there, but at 6am or 6:30am, the roads and interstate is pretty clear. I'd say if you get to the freeway from there by 6:30am you should still be fine. Depending on how fast you go, I bet your average time to Lisle in clear traffic is around 40-45 minutes.

If you do want a more convenient location if you do think it'll be a problem, then West Loop as someone else suggested is okay. I would also maybe suggest Wicker Park. There is a lot going on there of all sorts, big time night life too. If you want to get to Lincoln Park or Wrigleyville/Lakeview from there via public transit, you can take a bus easterly to a red line station at either North Avenue or Division and then it's a few stops to Lincoln Park or Lakeview from there.

Overall though, I think if you do leave by 6am, you'll be fine, especially since you go to the gym in Lisle and come back at 7pm or 8pm most nights. The only thing I would be "worried" about is the parking in these areas. It's mainly zone parking on the street, so it can be a little competitive in areas. I'm not sure how the Kenmore/Grace area is about parking, but I'd imagine it's competitive. At 7pm or 8pm, I'll bet there's not much left, but I don't know 100%. I would look into private space parking if the building you go to has it. It might be an extra $100-$200 though (unless you get lucky and they include it with your rent).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago