Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 07:03 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times

Advertisements

The enthusiasm one has for a place dwindles as he sees the difficulty in paying for it; hence, NYC tends to grate on people after a while, especially those who want a little space, and perhaps a little more peace and quiet at night..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 08:23 AM

4,507 posts, read 4,045,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
The enthusiasm one has for a place dwindles as he sees the difficulty in paying for it; hence, NYC tends to grate on people after a while, especially those who want a little space, and perhaps a little more peace and quiet at night..
From what I've seen though a lot if not most people who live in NYC would not move out until they were basically thrown out.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:27 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
From what I've seen though a lot if not most people who live in NYC would not move out until they were basically thrown out.
Most of my NY friends think NYC is the end all be all of cities and no other cities in the entire world even offer the same things as it. Don't get me wrong, NYC is obviously an amazing city, but the people sometimes seem kind of brainwashed in that there's no other cities offering what NYC does or even close.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:45 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
I think the biggest factor is the region that each city is a part of. Chicago is in the more affordable Midwest, while New York is the unofficial capital of the northeastern megalopolis, and San Francisco is the heart of the awesome Bay Area. The fact that Chicago has remained viable and desirable in this region is a real testament to how great the city is.

For me the Midwestern location is a positive, since I am from a nearby state and most of my family lives within a short driving distance. And it's clear that Chicago is becoming a huge regional draw, able to somehow capitalize on the fact that many other cities in the region are struggling.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:49 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I think the biggest factor is the region that each city is a part of. Chicago is in the more affordable Midwest, while New York is the unofficial capital of the northeastern megalopolis, and San Francisco is the heart of the awesome Bay Area. The fact that Chicago has remained viable and desirable in this region is a real testament to how great the city is.
Yeah, I definitely think this is one of them. There are some good midwestern cities like Milwaukee, Minneapolis area, or even Madison....but they pale in comparison to Seattle, Portland, DC, Boston, etc.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:09 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Most of my NY friends think NYC is the end all be all of cities and no other cities in the entire world even offer the same things as it. Don't get me wrong, NYC is obviously an amazing city, but the people sometimes seem kind of brainwashed in that there's no other cities offering what NYC does or even close.
Yeah, there are two types of people in nyc, ones that think this is he greatest city in the world and why would anyone want to live anywhere else, and those that enjoy living in the city but look forward to the day they leave.

I moved here for the experience that I imagine will last about 5-10 years and then I will move to Chicago where i could afford a house and stil live in the city and be close enough to transit while still being able to own a car or two.

For me Chicago is that perfect mix of big city but manageable city.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:38 AM

4,507 posts, read 4,045,228 times
Found this COL vs Paycheck study... Chicago is 17th past even Pittsburgh

http://www.newgeography.com/content/...s-the-furthest

Old 02-05-2013, 03:40 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
Found this COL vs Paycheck study... Chicago is 17th past even Pittsburgh

The Cities Where A Paycheck Stretches The Furthest | Newgeography.com
I truly find it hard to swallow that Chicago is more affordable than Pittsburgh. Unless they're saying that Pittsburgh salaries are so low that they offset the lower cost of living.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:03 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,062,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
I truly find it hard to swallow that Chicago is more affordable than Pittsburgh. Unless they're saying that Pittsburgh salaries are so low that they offset the lower cost of living.
My guess is that the distribution is wider. While I agree that Chicago is crazy cheap, the average is probably brought down by some very very desolate neighborhoods where rent is non-existent. My guess would be Pittsburgh doesn't have a bunch of 3-4k a month apartments.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:52 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
If you're in your twenties of thirties, perhaps; I've met older New Yorkers who really wanted to "escape", as it got to be a real grind for them. The thrill definitely wore off for them..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago