Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 05:20 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-gee34 View Post
It would be nice if we could get something for $1200 or under. We are looking more at Chicago rather than our first choice of Washington, DC because of the lower cost of living so we obviously want to see a difference.
Chicago is cheaper than DC usually. The areas west like Wicker Park and Bucktown are increasingly getting more expensive. I think it is possible in your price range, and it's possible in UK Village/East Village to even get a 2 bedroom place in your range (who knows how good or bad the places may be, but I know it's possible). I would say on average you're looking at about $900-$1100+/month for a one bedroom in either Bucktown or Wicker Park. Some cheaper, for example:

Bucktown:
Chicago Apartments | 2160 N BELL AVE #1 | Domu Chicago

Some places here might be available and decently priced for that area:
Wicker Park : Chicago:: Apartments for Rent

Quote:
Rents range from:
  • $1000-$1400 for two bedrooms in UK Village
  • $1300-$1600 for three bedrooms in UK Village
  • $1400-1700 for one and two bedrooms in Noble Square
  • $1300-$1600 for one bedrooms in Wicker Park
  • $1700-$2200 for two bedrooms in Wicker Park and from
  • $1800-$2700 for three bedroom apartments in Wicker Park
Only saying these for the commute though. You can certainly find what you want near Lakeview of course, but believe us..your commute will suck much worse as a result. The Kennedy is a lot worse to deal with usually than I-290

Quote:
We want to also take advantage of summer baseball games, though being Tigers fans I'm not sure if we should show up at The Cell. =) Wrigley might be more neutral even if it means rarely seeing the home team win!
Yeah. Eh shouldn't 100% matter. I mean, I've been to Sox games openly cheering on the Twins before and nobody cared. I went with my friend who's a Yankees fan..same thing and nobody cared. I think it's just like most anywhere else. Most fans really don't care and some do but aren't going to do anything to you about it.

The Cubs suck almost always and everyone knows it. Wrigley Field is a giant beer garden pretty much..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 02:03 PM

12 posts, read 11,668 times
Thanks again for the advice. I like the apartment options posted. I don't think we will be looking in the Lakeview area... It just seems too far of a drive. I feel like I might be pushing it as it is with a UK Village or Wicker Park so that basically rules out anything further.

Would Bridgeport be too of a drive for Oak Brook? What is that neighborhood like?

Old 02-13-2013, 07:35 AM

Does anyone have any additional info on the Bridgeport area? I've heard different things about the diversity, in terms of being open to African-Americans. As an African-American in an interracial marriage, this would obviously be a concern for me. The goal for me moving from West Michigan to Chicago would be to find an area that celebrates diversity, so I definitely want to be mindful of any issues regarding this. Any thoughts?

Old 02-13-2013, 08:36 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
The whole "celebrates diversity" shtick is ridiculously oversold. It ain't like you get a special halo of kumbaya in Evanston or Oak Park... There are jerks and good neighbors in all kinds of places, that said most folks in nicer areas tend to be more open than folks in rough areas.
Bridgeport is far more diverse than it was even five years ago but honestly for mixed race couple you can't beat Hyde Park or South Loop.

Last edited by chet everett; 02-13-2013 at 08:55 AM..

Old 02-13-2013, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Bridgeport is far more diverse than it was even five years ago but honestly for mixed race couple you can't beat Hyde Park or South Loop.
Or like Wicker Park/UK Village or Logan Square, or Lakeview or...etc. I am in a mixed race relationship...have never run into anything anywhere, ever.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:59 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default I think the bigger factor is just the economics...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Or like Wicker Park/UK Village or Logan Square, or Lakeview or...etc. I am in a mixed race relationship...have never run into anything anywhere, ever.
The gentrification is key -- folks that work in good paying office / professional style environments tend to be a lot less fearful of others than folks hanging onto the bottom rung of employment...

Old 02-13-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
The gentrification is key -- folks that work in good paying office / professional style environments tend to be a lot less fearful of others than folks hanging onto the bottom rung of employment...
Sure, but even in the non gentrified areas it hasn't been a problem. Of course, we haven't been to EVERY single neighborhood in this city together

Old 02-13-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
The whole "celebrates diversity" shtick is ridiculously oversold. It ain't like you get a special halo of kumbaya in Evanston or Oak Park... There are jerks and good neighbors in all kinds of places, that said most folks in nicer areas tend to be more open than folks in rough areas.
That's good because i am not into halo's or kumbaya. However when you grow up the way i did, sticking out like a sore thumb, you just want to fit in and not deal with comments and stares. that's basically all i meant. i understand that there are crazies everywhere, but in general i'm looking for a situation where we don't even think about race issues that much is all.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-gee34 View Post
That's good because i am not into halo's or kumbaya. However when you grow up the way i did, sticking out like a sore thumb, you just want to fit in and not deal with comments and stares. that's basically all i meant. i understand that there are crazies everywhere, but in general i'm looking for a situation where we don't even think about race issues that much is all.
Yeah, I don't think you'll stick out like a sore thumb in Chicago. There's enough people here of many races where if someone does look at you funny, then they're probably a sheltered idiot in the first place, or a tourist from Indiana/Iowa.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Yeah, I don't think you'll stick out like a sore thumb in Chicago. There's enough people here of many races where if someone does look at you funny, then they're probably a sheltered idiot in the first place, or a tourist from Indiana/Iowa.
Nice. Well I wasn't too concerned about it but I thought I'd ask. Though I know Chicago pretty well, I am still more concerned with finding the right neighborhood that has what we are looking for. Good advice on here so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago