Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 01:22 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,206,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Yes I am.

That is what the subject of this thread. A black person being called the n word by a total stranger. I've experienced the same thing on more than one occasion many other black have too.

If you want to start a thread about racist blacks and your personal experience, knock yourself out. If I can personally relate to what you write I will participate. If not I will stay out of it. Simple enough?
This thread can shoot off to talk about other race related issues. Not just her incident.

If not we'd all just be replying "okay" "Sorry to hear that"

If we can't expand then what the hell is the point of forums? This ain't facebook.

So no. I will not start a thread.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:37 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,891,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
Who cares what urbandictionary says? Any white dude who shouts racist crap at a stranger walking down the street is f-ing trash, end of story.
A-men.

And urbandictionary can kiss my ***.

If you've ever slept huddled with your family in sleeping bags around the only working space heater in your apartment, you can talk to me about not having money and what little it has to do with not being a pig.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Well, except that many of them come from places where racial and ethnic tribalism is far more overt and socially acceptable than here. Some may hide it well enough when they get here because they don't have the outright numbers to express it outwardly and still settle comfortably into whatever neighborhood they land in. But some of the conversations you hear when they think they're in "like" company would make your ear hairs curl. Considering the neighborhood where you live, I have to imagine you've heard some of it with your own ears at least a couple times.
Oh yes. When I moved to Avondale my very first day I'm walking down the street and I hear the guy on the corner say
"the white people are moving back in!"

The kicker - this fella insisted he wasn't white. He was Greek.

Old 03-11-2013, 04:10 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,075,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
You still admit you ARE talking about white people.
As if black people do not also deserve a lesson.

One time Lininxc started a thread boasting the diversity of Oak Park. I started naming other suburbs that were diverse and she insisted it was off topic to name suburbs other than Oak Park. I started my own thread and it was locked almost immediately.

In conclusion, they don't actually want you to play by their rules. They just want you to S T F U.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
A-men.

And urbandictionary can kiss my ***.

If you've ever slept huddled with your family in sleeping bags around the only working space heater in your apartment, you can talk to me about not having money and what little it has to do with not being a pig.
It is still what the term means. Period. End of story. It isn't me being an authority. It is me being right.

If that is what you think about being poor and white then why are you using that term?

You were silent about Wikipedia and the two songs I showed you. How do you feel about Dictionary.com? Here is what dictionary.com says:

"Noun slang: disparaging and offensive
1. A member of the class of poor whites, especially in the southern U.S.
2. Poor whites collectively."

http://m.dictionary.com/definition/W...?linkId=ibc5yn

Old 03-11-2013, 05:20 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,251,373 times
Yeah, so don't go disrespecting the racists by putting the improper pejorative label on 'em!

Old 03-11-2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Yeah, so don't go disrespecting the racists by putting the improper pejorative label on 'em!
So all "white trash" are racist?

Old 03-11-2013, 05:28 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,251,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
So all "white trash" are racist?
So all green aliens are sexy?

Old 03-11-2013, 08:49 PM

Quote:
So all green aliens are sexy?
Not all. But most of them are sexy.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
It is still what the term means. Period. End of story. It isn't me being an authority. It is me being right.

If that is what you think about being poor and white then why are you using that term?

You were silent about Wikipedia and the two songs I showed you. How do you feel about Dictionary.com? Here is what dictionary.com says:

"Noun slang: disparaging and offensive
1. A member of the class of poor whites, especially in the southern U.S.
2. Poor whites collectively."

http://m.dictionary.com/definition/W...?linkId=ibc5yn
Sorry bud, suburban transplants don't get to lecture using the urban dictionary. Not even ones from admittedly-diverse Oak Park.

But you missed the point - I most absolutely, 100% was INTENDING to insult the people who were yelling at Lori. This to me belongs in the "if the shoe fits, wear it" file.

I grew up with plenty of the Appalachian white transplants, they/we quite routinely throw around phrases like that. When you have a guy who has a car up on blocks on your Chicago street, that's how it rolls. Very, very few of them were racist in the sense of how they interacted with people. Even in the 70s and 80s mixed-race relationships were common (or at least not frowned upon) on the North Side.

I don't believe any truly poor white people (those who have opinions I care about anyway) would object to the phrase "white trash" being reserved for the kind of scum that would not only yell at a woman, but yell racist slurs.

My suggestion? Don't yell profoundly insulting slurs at women if you object to being called trash because of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago