Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 12:49 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times

Advertisements

Well, now, who would have thought?

That in the upside down world of today, elevator "etiquette" is, in fact, the lack of any. But don't mind me....I'm a dinosaur from an age where men married women and escalators weren't a playground for children.

Carry on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 12:51 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Having been born and raised in Chicago (baptized at Lady of Sorrows in 1949, Resurrection grade school, St. Ignatius and Austin high schools) and having lived here most of my life it doesn't bother me to sound like a suburbanite, whatever the Hell that means.
It means normal person, Tom. Wear it proudly.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:55 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,870,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Well, now, who would have thought?

That in the upside down world of today, elevator "etiquette" is, in fact, the lack of any. But don't mind me....I'm a dinosaur from an age where men married women and escalators weren't a playground for children.

Carry on.
C-D allows you to quote people.

Maybe you should do that?

Because until then... What are you talking about?

I don't fart on elevators... is that what you're talking about?

Old 04-03-2013, 12:59 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I do not recall ever being on an escalator that is wide enough for two people at once. I can't imagine someone squeezing past me on the left when I'm standing still. To me, this would be invasive.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:13 PM

483 posts, read 842,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I do not recall ever being on an escalator that is wide enough for two people at once. I can't imagine someone squeezing past me on the left when I'm standing still. To me, this would be invasive.
Either you don't get out much or you are a very large person.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:16 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,250,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I walk up or down one 10 times a week. Always two streams of people, one walking, one standing...unless there is a bu&%*0le standing on the walking side.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:23 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rca215 View Post
Either you don't get out much or you are a very large person.
Ha. My thought exactly.

I'm a wider-than-average dude and I'd say well over half of escalators are wide enough for me and another person. I always understood it to be general etiquette to stand on the right and walk on the left. I don't remember where or how I learned this, but I somehow acquired this knowledge despite growing up in a town that didn't have a single escalator that I'm aware of, so it annoys me when people don't know this.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:26 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago76 View Post
Nope. The initial idea behind escalators was to increase the rate of "throughput" at major pedestrian choke points where stairs would otherwise be used.

Examples:
a-people leaving or entering train platforms (where there tend to be large rushes of people leaving exiting at regular intervals).
b-department stores with large floor plates and high customer capacity per floor where stairs would be a bottleneck.

The reason for the invention of the escalator was to get people through "chokepoints" more quickly thereby making them less "choky" way before designers cared about disabled individuals. The first transit system that used a modern escalator was London, the biggest city in the world at the time escalators were put into use. Not coincidentally, London is also the world's cultural capital of queuing and pretty much all forms of foot traffic ettiquete. These "rules" were all implemented to increase efficiency in crowded conditions...not to give someone's feet a rest. They stand to the right. It's practically a religion there. People have a right to stand on an escalator for whatever reason (medical, lazy, lugging something heavy), but those people don't have a right to impede the progress of others.

Common sense stuff that would make the world a better/easier place:
1-Stand to the right on escalators or moving sidewalks in airports, for example.
2-Let people off elevators/trains/buses before getting on
3-If someone needs to get off an elevator/train a floor/stop before you, and they can't get through, get off the damn elevator/train. Hold the door. Let them through. Get right back on. As long as you stand to the side and hold the door, it's not gonna leave without you.
4-If you're exiting using a revolving door, don't park yourself right outside of the door and gaze up to the heavens in the wonderment that is the universe. I'm behind you. The door is in motion and I can't stop it. If you're in the way, I've got to spin round and round like an idiot 4 year old waiting for you to move out of the way or I will need to exit by shoving you out of the way.
5-If you run into a friend on a crowded sidewalk, don't stop in the middle of it to chat. It's a sidewalk. Not a sidestand. Park yourselves off to the side to catch up.
6-If it's feasible to do so, the stop before your destination on a train or bus, follow the people exiting to an are closer to the exit so you can get off quickly. That doesn't mean push your way through 40 people in a rush to make it to a spot by the door in 4.7 seconds. Use a little finesse. Don't be pushy, and get yourself close to the door. Trains and buses would spend less time boarding and unboarding people, allowing everyone to get where they need to go more quickly.
7-For the love of God, form a single line at Walgreens so the person standing in line longest gets the next available clerk. It works at airports. It works at banks. It works at CVS. It blows to be the next person up in a particular line, only to find out the person in front of you is President of the Couponers Club of America and the requester of 4 separate price checks on cotton swabs.
In agreement with basically everything here..

Old 04-03-2013, 01:27 PM

483 posts, read 842,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
I don't remember where or how I learned this
Via the very basic observational skills and sense of empathy that come with not being a total dumbass.

At least that's my guess.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:29 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I routinely lounge on commercial escalators
But you do your lounging on the right side I hope, no? If not, are you one of those people who drives slowly in the passing lane on the highway, too? I find these two things to be equally perplexing. I can never tell if the person is unaware of protocol or is intentionally being rude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago