Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2012, 03:50 PM

10 posts, read 127,717 times

Advertisements

After watching "Shameless", a friend of mine and I decided to take a visit to Canaryville to check out what it's actually like.

We loved it! It's so quaint, non-pretentious, and affordable. Of course, we were just visiting for a few hours. We loved the area around 45th & Wallace.

What's it like to live there? Is it safe? Would it be advisable for someone on a budget to raise a family there?

I heard that the neighborhood has been changing from mostly white to Hispanic, how prevalent is this? Does the neighborhood feel diverse and accepting?

Give me any information/history on Canaryville that you can!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 04:25 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,277,998 times
It's an old blue-collar/working poor Irish neighborhood that, yes, has more Hispanics in it now. I don't know a ton about it but the stereotype/CW is more 'rough' than quaint.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:32 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,196,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
It's an old blue-collar/working poor Irish neighborhood that, yes, has more Hispanics in it now. I don't know a ton about it but the stereotype/CW is more 'rough' than quaint.
You mean genuine Irish people lived in Canaryville? As in right off the boat escaping the potato famine?

Last edited by soulful; 04-27-2012 at 04:44 PM.. Reason: correct spelling of potato

Old 04-27-2012, 06:07 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,168,513 times
It's set in Canaryville, but it's actually filmed in Lawndale.

Check out these spots:
Sheila's house
Gallagher's house

Old 04-28-2012, 12:02 AM

337 posts, read 929,829 times
On YouTube, you can find many episodes of something called "The Canaryville Chronicles," which as far as I can tell is just a series of random amateur documentaries of life in that hood. From an aesthetic POV it's execrable - it looks like someone just set up a camera at various locations and shot local folks going about their business; there's no narrative arc or dramatic tension or even much sense of editing. But it's real life.

There seem to be few of these classic white prole urban neighborhoods left. I can think of South Boston or Fishtown in Philadelphia, maybe Bensonhurst in Brooklyn (not sure about that one though), as being in the same category. Sometimes I wonder what keeps these people in the city - maybe residency requirements?

Also worth a read is this guy's blog:
Blue Skies Falling: Canaryville Blues, Part I: Picturing Canaryville

Old 04-28-2012, 12:44 AM

The Canaryville Chronicles are just are videotapes of kids who grew up in the neighborhood.

"Blue Sky Falling" is some art student who decided to "study" the neighborhood from a pseudo-academic perspective.

Yes, it's ethnically Irish. That is interesting considering Bridgeport hasn't been ethnically Irish since the 40s.

I think the best way to sum up Canaryville is to say, picture a really, really, blue collar, working class suburb.

Now put it in the city.

That's it.

There aren't many Canaryville posters on this forum, so you may never get firsthand knowledge.

A few years ago there was a kid from Canaryville who posted here; what I remember most about him is his near psychotic hatred of yuppies.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:07 AM

337 posts, read 929,829 times
Thanks for clarifying. Reading around, a word that often comes up is "insular." Also, apparently the done thing there is to cheer for the Cubs, due to local rivalry with Bridgeport.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:19 AM

That's true; they have a reputation for being insular. I don't know much, personally. I have been goofing around on these forums for around 5 years and there has only been one Canaryville poster I remember. I've been there a few times. Seemed nice enough.

The conventional wisdom is that it's insular and a few notches below "blue collar." I've also heard the Hispanic influx is exaggerated and it's still, essentially, 5K Irish roughnecks.

I've heard from a couple generally credible people on this forum that Canaryville is one place in the city that you would generally not be wise to wander into a bar; that if they don't know you, at the least, you're going to get some dirty looks.

Again, second hand knowledge, but seems plausible.

There isn't much there. A couple bars, a couple restaurants and St. Gabe's.

From what I've seen they're die-hard Sox fans.

I imagine if you really wanted to move there you wouldn't have too many problems if you just went about your business. But you could probably say the same thing about any neighborhood in the city.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:04 PM

10 posts, read 127,717 times
Is it a safe neighborhood?

It just sounds like such an interesting neighborhood to me. I've never heard of anything like it.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:18 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
My wife has pals from Canaryville who complain about gangs and drug use there. Among their own kind, not from outsiders.

Last edited by Irishtom29; 04-28-2012 at 04:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago