Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 12:49 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,639,194 times

Advertisements

Chicago seems affordable, esp when buying while still being a real major city that offers a lot so what's the catch? Is it the Midwest location and colder weather? I don't use NYC for all it has so it's not really worth it for me to stay in the area. The Chi seems like a nice alternative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 12:55 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,933,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
Chicago seems affordable, esp when buying while still being a real major city that offers a lot so what's the catch? Is it the Midwest location and colder weather? I don't use NYC for all it has so it's not really worth it for me to stay in the area. The Chi seems like a nice alternative.
Perhaps the perception is in the eye of the beholder. There are those who will hold Chicago's midwestern location against it, or perhaps its lack of variety in geography, but there's quite a bit to be appreciatd here.

And it does have Lake Michigan on its doorstep.

Parts of the East Coast are pretty ugly, as you are no doubt well aware of...

Old 05-10-2013, 01:02 PM

644 posts, read 1,189,332 times
I wouldn't say there's much of a catch. Depending on what you buy and where it's located, you might face high property taxes. Older condos tend to have high fees as well.

There are a couple reasons for why housing prices here are so much cheaper than in the big coastal cities. One is the supply and demand for space, and the regulations that go along with this. The city still has a fair bit of open space available, and the local infrastructure can easily support more building. So it's relatively easy for builders to meet the demand for housing at an affordable price. In other cities, strict zoning rules and a lack of open space drive up costs. The other reason is that Chicago's economy is not quite as dynamic as other large cities in the US. It's certainly not in terrible shape, but Chicago doesn't have any dominant high-paying industries (tech, government, finance, etc.).

If your goal is to get a high quality of life in a dense urban area for a relatively low cost, then Chicago is a great option for you. However, I should also ask about what you want from a city. Chicago is stellar for food, sports, museums, and entertainment, but it's pretty lackluster when it comes to outdoor activities.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:04 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,958,988 times
I think a lot of it has to do with perception and some has to do with location.

1. Crime. People think the city is one of the most dangerous cities EVERYWHERE. Yeah it can be dangerous obviously but many areas of Chicago are relatively safe.

2. Cold weather. The media has you believe it's the coldest city on earth. It's cold, but not even the coldest in the US. Many people live in Chicago from around the world originally from areas that are hotter than say...Florida, Arizona, or New Mexico (or just as hot).

3. Proximity to other cities. Chicago is close to Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Indianapolis, Madison, Detroit, Columbus, and Cleveland. NYC is close to Philadelphia, Boston, Baltimore, DC, Providence, Pittsburgh, etc. The cities NYC is close to are perceived as "cooler" than the ones Chicago is close to.

and possibly
4. Multicultural. I have run into people who actually think Chicago is not that multicultural. It is, as we all know.

I think a lot has to do with bad PR and stuff like that, honestly.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:07 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,219,317 times
I think prices are lower in Chicago for a few reasons. One is that there isn't a large high paying industry to drive the top end of the market - i.e. finance in NYC, lobbyist/government in DC, tech in SF, and entertainment in LA. There's also just more land available, the highest priced cities all have some geographical feature that limits them. I don't think it has much to do with weather, otherwise cities like NYC, London, Moscow, Oslo and others wouldn't be among the priciest in the world.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:09 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,954,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I think a lot of it has to do with perception and some has to do with location.

1. Crime. People think the city is one of the most dangerous cities EVERYWHERE. Yeah it can be dangerous obviously but many areas of Chicago are relatively safe.

2. Cold weather. The media has you believe it's the coldest city on earth. It's cold, but not even the coldest in the US. Many people live in Chicago from around the world originally from areas that are hotter than say...Florida, Arizona, or New Mexico (or just as hot).

3. Proximity to other cities. Chicago is close to Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Indianapolis, Madison, Detroit, Columbus, and Cleveland. NYC is close to Philadelphia, Boston, Baltimore, DC, Providence, Pittsburgh, etc. The cities NYC is close to are perceived as "cooler" than the ones Chicago is close to.

and possibly
4. Multicultural. I have run into people who actually think Chicago is not that multicultural. It is, as we all know.

I think a lot has to do with bad PR and stuff like that, honestly.
Just curious, other than objective weather info (current temp, 5 day) how has the media portrayed chicago as the coldest city on earth?

Additionally it's not that cities in proximity are "cooler", they are just more important and on avg, closer in proximity.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
I don't think it has much to do with weather, otherwise cities like NYC, London, Moscow, Oslo and others wouldn't be among the priciest in the world.
True, but what I meant was based on perception. People in Europe tend to travel more around the countries (I mean, it can be pretty cheap) and I think are sometimes more aware of what is BS and what is not.

I have heard people in the US say how they'd move to Chicago "if it wasn't so damn cold." This includes my own Uncle who is from NYC and currently lives in Los Angeles.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:11 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,639,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBVirtuoso View Post
I wouldn't say there's much of a catch. Depending on what you buy and where it's located, you might face high property taxes. Older condos tend to have high fees as well.

There are a couple reasons for why housing prices here are so much cheaper than in the big coastal cities. One is the supply and demand for space, and the regulations that go along with this. The city still has a fair bit of open space available, and the local infrastructure can easily support more building. So it's relatively easy for builders to meet the demand for housing at an affordable price. In other cities, strict zoning rules and a lack of open space drive up costs. The other reason is that Chicago's economy is not quite as dynamic as other large cities in the US. It's certainly not in terrible shape, but Chicago doesn't have any dominant high-paying industries (tech, government, finance, etc.).

If your goal is to get a high quality of life in a dense urban area for a relatively low cost, then Chicago is a great option for you. However, I should also ask about what you want from a city. Chicago is stellar for food, sports, museums, and entertainment, but it's pretty lackluster when it comes to outdoor activities.
Well, the geography thing might bother me cuz Im not used to that kinda flat prairie type landscape, but its mostly visual I guess cuz I don't really do much outdoor activities like that, except going to a lake or ocean for a swim or bbq in a park once in a while. I wud def miss the ocean, but its kinda wateva cuz its not like Im a surfer and go there that much. Nature is good to have, but its not my main concern, otherwise I wuda jus stayed in the Pacific NW. My main thing is a good size metro area with many urban type things to do and a diverse variety of people. NYC might be too much for me and unnecessary, but at the same time I dont wan overkill and move to some place like NC or someth like some people here and then regret it cuz theres noth to do there.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
Just curious, other than objective weather info (current temp, 5 day) how has the media portrayed chicago as the coldest city on earth?
I wouldn't say 100% of the media, but when I was growing up at least...whenever it was cold in Chicago or Chicago got a bunch of snow, I would always see it on the news even though it was always colder/snowier in Minnesota or Wisconsin. Even though I understand WHY they would put it on TV, it still causes people to see it and say "oh wow.."

The snow storm in the middle of the winter two winters ago here made big time national news. My parents in Minnesota got 15 inches of SNOW on May 2nd this year. It made some news, but it was in no way bigger news than Chicago getting only 3 more inches of snow in the middle of winter when snow is to be expected.

The other part has to do with people who visit the city in the winter who aren't used to cold weather and say how cold it was. It's pretty much one of their only experiences with real cold weather and others listen to them.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:19 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,954,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I wouldn't say 100% of the media, but when I was growing up at least...whenever it was cold in Chicago or Chicago got a bunch of snow, I would always see it on the news even though it was always colder/snowier in Minnesota or Wisconsin. Even though I understand WHY they would put it on TV, it still causes people to see it and say "oh wow.."

The snow storm in the middle of the winter two winters ago here made big time national news. My parents in Minnesota got 15 inches of SNOW on May 2nd this year. It made some news, but it was in no way bigger news than Chicago getting only 3 more inches of snow in the middle of winter when snow is to be expected.

The other part has to do with people who visit the city in the winter who aren't used to cold weather and say how cold it was. It's pretty much one of their only experiences with real cold weather and others listen to them.
I guess I just see that as reporting the weather, nothing out of the ordinary. I found winters in Chicago to be pretty damn cold but the summers are great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago