Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 04:06 PM

529 posts, read 712,572 times

Advertisements

When walking in the loop, I often jaywalk, i.e cross the street in the middle, away from the cross-path. This saves times as I can walk along a diagonal and don't have to be stopped waiting for the walk light. I also find it safer since you don't have to worry about turning cars, i.e you just look left and right.. I am curious if anyone has ever been ticketed for jaywalking? Or maybe I am not understanding what jaywalking is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 04:19 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,937,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koctail View Post
When walking in the loop, I often jaywalk, i.e cross the street in the middle, away from the cross-path. This saves times as I can walk along a diagonal and don't have to be stopped waiting for the walk light. I also find it safer since you don't have to worry about turning cars, i.e you just look left and right.. I am curious if anyone has ever been ticketed for jaywalking? Or maybe I am not understanding what jaywalking is?
Everyone does it. I do it infront of cops and none of them care here because they know there's way more serious crimes you could commit. I could see maybe if you jaywalked right infront of oncoming traffic, but nah.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:28 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,574,629 times
Chicago isn't LA or Vegas. Jaywalking is not an issue here unless a car is heading straight towards you.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:41 PM

732 posts, read 2,982,172 times
On the flip side, don't start crossing a major thoroughfare at a marked crosswalk where there are no signals or stop signs and expect cars to slow down or stop for you.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:08 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,281,567 times
The cops generally won't bother you here unless you are 1) driving a cab 2) actively shooting someone in the head

It is illegal to ride your bike on the sidewalk and I have ridden past cops on my bike about 5,000 times and they just watch you.

In fact yesterday one, who was also riding his bike on the sidewalk, got out of the way so I could pass.

I think they think of themselves more like soldiers than cops and wouldn't deign to do something so goofy as ticket someone for an on-foot/bike violation, unless you were really causing a problem, terrorizing people etc.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:40 PM

283 posts, read 447,716 times
re: Jaywalking it is technically illegal but this ain't Singapore so it's not enforced for jack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
It is illegal to ride your bike on the sidewalk and I have ridden past cops on my bike about 5,000 times and they just watch you.
The one time they told me "you can't ride on the sidwalks" was during the NATO summit biking on Michigan Ave. And it was never mentioned again or anything like thay

Old 07-16-2012, 10:41 PM

148 posts, read 239,027 times
Default hah! not at alll

i jay walk before i go jay walkin and then i jaywalk some more... sounds like goin to the taste LOL - people walk where they want however they want. the point is to do it and try not to get it someones way or time it right. kinda like how people drive around here. might not always be inside the lines all the time, but if timed well, and nobody has to honk, then its legit. there is an unsaid expectation of common sense of course.... hope that helped.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:00 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,680,535 times
This is why I love Chicago, the cops have better stuff to do then bust your balls.

No tickets for jaywalking, no tickets for speeding, few for redlights....and amazingly, the whole city hasn't burned down to the ground overnight.

In parts of the country where those are big revenue generators, they'd like you to think not enforcing all these little laws is the equivalent of utter anarchy in the streets.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:45 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,505,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post
This is why I love Chicago, the cops have better stuff to do then bust your balls.

No tickets for jaywalking, no tickets for speeding, few for redlights....and amazingly, the whole city hasn't burned down to the ground overnight.

In parts of the country where those are big revenue generators, they'd like you to think not enforcing all these little laws is the equivalent of utter anarchy in the streets.
I've noticed that. That's what I like. I hate when cops nitpick their way into giving out tickets. This is what happens in Texas.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:40 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,104,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post

No ticket for red lights? Many on the threads have been ticketed by the eye in the sky.
Revenue generator----Speed camera's and red light districts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: