Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2007, 08:48 PM

2 posts, read 7,472 times

Advertisements

Hi there. I'm a lifelong St. Louisan moving to Chicago in the near future. Wanted some advice on if I picked the right neighborhood to live in.

Here's some details on me
Like all St. Louisans I'm a huge sports fan.
-I'm a 26 year old single male, college graduate working on my MBA.
-I want an area that isn't too preppy, yet not too artsy. Being from the midwest I like down to earth people, but not "country" or in any way "redneck"
-I like to drink and go out to bars
-I like rec sports
-Want to not have a car.
-Will be working downtown
-I want an area with lots of single educated people between 24-34 years old.
-I make around 45k a year.

So I'm pretty much your average non-frat boy, single, male.
I have chosen the Lincoln Park area around Halstead and Diversey.

Have I made the right decision?

I'm not going to know ANYONE in Chicago, so if anyone has any ideas on the best ways to meet people, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 10:48 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
I honestly don't think you could find a more fratboy part of town than Halsted and Diversey. For one, that's four blocks from a fairly large university, so you have literal frat boys hanging out in the area. Second, that's one of the prime neighborhoods for fresh Big Ten graduates who haven't outgrown their fratboy ways yet. You're definitely not going to find the "salt-of-the-earth" kind of people you seem to be looking for near there.

I would say the place that come closest to meeting your criteria would be the St. Bens/North Center area. It's nice and quiet, nice buildings, there's still some "old-school" Chicago holdouts in the area, bars are nearby on Lincoln Avenue, lots of old-school German bars nearby where 25-year-olds and 55-year-olds drink side-by-side, and there's a decided lack of rednecks and fratboys in this neighborhood. It has a little bit of an artsy edge to it as you head north where into the heart of Lincoln Square and south toward Roscoe Village, but nothing close to the artsy-poseur neighborhoods like Bucktown and Wicker Park. Nearby public transportation includes the Brown Line L train, the Lincoln Avenue bus, Irving Park bus, Montrose bus, Damen bus, Addison bus, and plenty of cabs at pretty much all hours. You could certainly get by without a car there.

Old 11-07-2007, 02:21 PM

10 posts, read 33,112 times
My brother used to live near Belmont/Southport. Tons of people your age. Close to shops, bars and the El. Definitely don't need a car there. He used to walk to Wrigley all the time.

Old 11-07-2007, 02:36 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Nice indie venue on that corner too (Schuba's).

Old 11-07-2007, 05:12 PM

356 posts, read 542,478 times
expect to pay a minimum of $1200/month for 800sf apt in Lincoln Park-- that's going to eat up a lot of salary that's about 45% after taxes-- might start looking for a roommate for the first 6 months....

Old 11-07-2007, 08:36 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,246,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy City John View Post
expect to pay a minimum of $1200/month for 800sf apt in Lincoln Park-- that's going to eat up a lot of salary that's about 45% after taxes-- might start looking for a roommate for the first 6 months....

Again, Windy City John, I would say that this is an overestimate! You can find places cheaper than this in Lincoln Park. It is expensive, but I have a friend who just found a large 1 bedroom for $900.....
However, as Drover suggested, if you are not looking for a frat type, preppy part of town, Lincoln Park is not for you. You are right by Depaul there. Have you already signed a lease in that area or are you still looking?

Old 11-09-2007, 09:26 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
EVERYONE in Lincoln Park/Lakeview isn't a "frat boy".

I would say your best bet is west of Halsted, north of Diversey, east of Paulina, and south of Irving Park. It's a pretty decent area.

The area around Lincoln/Roscoes has always been a favorite of mine. I also dig the Sheffield/Diversey area. Halsted and Diversey should do you fine though. I live right down the street and love all the nearby shopping, transportation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago