Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 02:46 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times

Advertisements

I'm with Lenny on this. I'm assuming those whom the NYC coppers stopped and frisked were giving off signals, by dress or demeanor, indicating they were gang members or criminally inclined. I think it's prudent to check out people who make such a display.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 03:50 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,070,279 times
Cops can stop and frisk anyone they want in NYC. You know that cops are just people, right?

There is no rhyme or reason to this. You can make up anything you want about gang colors or skin colors or crime... They're frisking people they feel like frisking. They don't need an excuse for ruining someone's evening or afternoon. And that's precisely why it violates the 4th Amendment.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:55 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,209,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
They're frisking people they feel like frisking.
Correct. They just appear to "feel like frisking" people of color disproportionately more, by a large margin, which tends to be frowned upon by people with two or more brain cells to rub together. So there's that, which is a bit of a problem.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:06 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,209,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I'm with Lenny on this. I'm assuming those whom the NYC coppers stopped and frisked were giving off signals, by dress or demeanor, indicating they were gang members or criminally inclined. I think it's prudent to check out people who make such a display.
You probably need to see this:

Old 09-07-2013, 01:15 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,070,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
Correct. They just appear to "feel like frisking" people of color disproportionately more, by a large margin, which tends to be frowned upon by people with two or more brain cells to rub together. So there's that, which is a bit of a problem.
And in previous threads, Lenny tries to make it sound like that if he can justify racial profiling, stop and frisk is automatically justified too... And that's BS. Remove race from the equation and stop and frisk is STILL frowned upon by anyone who has any remote respect for civil liberties.

Last edited by urza216; 09-07-2013 at 02:30 AM..

Old 09-07-2013, 11:07 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,663,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
And you would be incorrect.

The NYPD already has a very, very long history of assaulting minorities. In this case, there is no difference. They were targeting poor black and hispanic communities exclusively.

And before you say anything about statistics, allow me to stop you there: I don't care. You are Constitutionally guaranteed to be protected against unreasonable searches and seizures. Specifically so.

You do not lose your Constitutional protections because "a police officer thought you looked funny". I think you look old and poor. I just don't trust you because of that. Do I get to have you stopped and searched every time you enter my neighborhood, Tom? My neighborhood and I are all capable of funding such an initiative.

Old 09-07-2013, 11:20 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
Some thoughtful replies to my opinion have made me change my mind, thank you.

Last edited by Irishtom29; 09-07-2013 at 11:52 AM..

Old 09-09-2013, 06:40 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,040,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Cops can stop and frisk anyone they want in NYC. You know that cops are just people, right?

There is no rhyme or reason to this. You can make up anything you want about gang colors or skin colors or crime... They're frisking people they feel like frisking. They don't need an excuse for ruining someone's evening or afternoon. And that's precisely why it violates the 4th Amendment.
It's OK if you want liberalism to cloud your judgment or force you to ignore the statistics.

But honestly, what's a better use of your tax dollars?
1) a cop doing S n F on 4 semi-sober white college frat boys walking down Clark after a Cubs game?
2) a cop doing a S n F on 4 black kids hanging out at 1 AM, wearing gang colors, in an area known for drug dealing and gang banging, where there's shootings on a nightly basis?

See color doesn't matter. It's the same as security at the airport before you get on a plane. Who should be more tightly scrutinized: the 80 year old grandma or the nervous looking 23 year old middle eastern man?

Call it what you want, but statistics don't lie.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:28 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,974,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
It's OK if you want liberalism to cloud your judgment or force you to ignore the statistics.

But honestly, what's a better use of your tax dollars?
1) a cop doing S n F on 4 semi-sober white college frat boys walking down Clark after a Cubs game?
2) a cop doing a S n F on 4 black kids hanging out at 1 AM, wearing gang colors, in an area known for drug dealing and gang banging, where there's shootings on a nightly basis?

See color doesn't matter. It's the same as security at the airport before you get on a plane. Who should be more tightly scrutinized: the 80 year old grandma or the nervous looking 23 year old middle eastern man?

Call it what you want, but statistics don't lie.
Here we go with the liberal politic stuff.

This isn't how it works. Do your research.

What percentage of stop and frisk victims are actually guilty of crime?

How many of them are gang affiliated?

What time of the day are they stopping and frisk?

What percentage of them are wearing gang colors?

Have you wore gang colors before?

When looking at the facts, do you believe that is the best use of tax payers money?

Old 09-09-2013, 11:41 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,040,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Here we go with the liberal politic stuff.

This isn't how it works. Do your research.

What percentage of stop and frisk victims are actually guilty of crime?

How many of them are gang affiliated?

What time of the day are they stopping and frisk?

What percentage of them are wearing gang colors?

Have you wore gang colors before?

When looking at the facts, do you believe that is the best use of tax payers money?
Here's another scenario....Let's say there's a nice country club in a lily white suburb where golfers like to hang out at the bar and drink after finishing their round. Let's say there have been a high number of car accidents due to DUI near said CC. Now, the police decide to start putting up sobriety check points on the roads near the CC where people leaving the CC are likely to travel.
Is this a violation of these peoples' civil rights? After all, what right or suspicion do the police have to randomly pull people over and make them prove their sobriety? What about people who weren't even at the CC or don't belong? Oh by the way, if you decide you don't want to wear a seatbelt because you think you're in your right not to, you're probably going to get a nice ticket and fine for that.

Even though you maybe stepped on a few toes and perceivably 'violated' a civil right or two, the end result is that you'll probably have fewer people drinking and driving after leaving the CC, making it safer for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago