Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 09:37 AM

32 posts, read 84,637 times

Advertisements

So there's this online social startup called Grouper, where they set up 3 on 3 "dates." You sign up, and they look at your facebook profile to determine "matches." The guys pre-pay for first round of drinks, and grouper picks the bar, date, and time where you meet the girls. You have no idea what they look like until you get there.

Ok. So I just described the site; here's the dilemma. I'm an Asian-American male professional here in the city, who is about to move to Boston in late summer for business school. Two of my friends, who're also asian and well-educated pressured me to go on a grouper date early next month. I didn't see the point in doing it since I'm leaving the city so soon but I thought "what the heck." My concern is this: most likely the girls will be white, and I'm worried that they will feel awkward once they see 3 kind of dorky asian guys. Now I'm 6 feet and in great shape and definitely not ugly but i'm definitely a dork. And from my years of living in Chicago, white girls are just not open to minorities due to various cultural and social factors.

I'm kind of getting nervous and freaking out. Am I overreacting here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 09:42 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
You already started a thread about this 1.5 months ago. Nobody's answers changed in the 12 pages of discussions in that 1.5 months.

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...ican-male.html

I see Asian male - white woman couples almost weekly now. I saw multiple last weekend in fact. Nobody's answers have changed.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:50 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Yep, pretty common in the burbs too. In fact I thing the census bureau said such households likely have the highest median incomes. Dorky or not the bottomline is going to come down to putting yourself out there...

Old 07-18-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
You already started a thread about this 1.5 months ago. Nobody's answers changed in the 12 pages of discussions in that 1.5 months.

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...ican-male.html

I see Asian male - white woman couples almost weekly now. I saw multiple last weekend in fact. Nobody's answers have changed.

What part of the city do you see these couples? I live in river north and very rarely see asian guy-white girl couples in downtown area, west loop, or lincoln park.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBS2015 View Post
What part of the city do you see these couples? I live in river north and very rarely see asian guy-white girl couples in downtown area, west loop, or lincoln park.
Recently? Gold Coast, River North, Logan Square, Wicker Park, Lakeview, Lincoln Square, etc. 2 of my last three girlfriends were Asian, though I'm a middle eastern/white male, not Asian, but still (and I live in Gold Coast).

Hell, even at club Ohm in Wicker Park (which I referenced in your previous thread), I have gone with women (white or hispanic) who love Asian men.

Again, you asked this 1.5 months ago. Nobody's answers have changed. Stop worrying. While some people find this important, if a woman is going to reject you because you are Asian, then she's not worth your time anyway. A lot of younger people don't think like this anymore (yes, some do but it's no different race to race).

Old 07-18-2013, 10:04 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
Evidently some Asian guys are doing OK on grouper dates.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Recently? Gold Coast, River North, Logan Square, Wicker Park, Lakeview, Lincoln Square, etc. 2 of my last three girlfriends were Asian, though I'm a middle eastern/white male, not Asian, but still (and I live in Gold Coast).

Hell, even at club Ohm in Wicker Park (which I referenced in your previous thread), I have gone with women (white or hispanic) who love Asian men.

Again, you asked this 1.5 months ago. Nobody's answers have changed. Stop worrying. While some people find this important, if a woman is going to reject you because you are Asian, then she's not worth your time anyway. A lot of younger people don't think like this anymore (yes, some do but it's no different race to race).
Thanks. I guess I'm being overly paranoid. Lol.

I suppose it depends on the girls in question as well. The typical Big 10 sorority white girls I meet at lincoln park bars for instance are very narrow-minded when it comes to interracial dating and would not even consider an Asian guy.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:13 AM

My Korean friend says:

'tell him to just go for it. encourage the white girls to think... "once you have asian, you never go caucasian"'

Old 07-18-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBS2015 View Post
I suppose it depends on the girls in question as well. The typical Big 10 sorority white girls I meet at lincoln park bars for instance are very narrow-minded when it comes to interracial dating and would not even consider an Asian guy.
Sure, but that's to be expected in Lincoln Park. You need to get outside of that. It's typical Big 10 frat ****. Go to Wicker Park, Logan Square, Ukrainian Village, etc

Old 07-18-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Sure, but that's to be expected in Lincoln Park. You need to get outside of that. It's typical Big 10 frat ****. Go to Wicker Park, Logan Square, Ukrainian Village, etc
Yeah but those are the girls I find attractive physically. Lol.

Why are they so narrow minded on interracial dating? I guess it's the general provincial midwestern mindset?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: