Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2013, 04:01 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,420,366 times

Advertisements

Yeah on 2nd thought I agree with you. I'd place Houston, Dallas-Ft. Worth & Atlanta in a pending super metro of the south category perhaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I agree with this. Miami maybe, but not Vegas. Houston to me is meh, maybe in 20 years. Boston has a larger case for it but to me it's still on the edge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 04:24 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,629,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Harrier hasn't been inside the Chicago city limits, but he has been in "Chicagoland".

Harrier isn't "speaking about Chicago", he is only asking questions.

So far only you have provided any good answers.

Apparently you are offended by Harrier omitting Chicago from his list of 5 world class U.S. cities but including Las Vegas.

That is your problem.
Stop posting in third party about yourself. And if you're ill-informed enough to place Las Vegas above Chicago as a world class city, just stop posting altogether. Also, your "American Taliban" signature is offensive.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:45 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,213,531 times
The link in this post pretty well covers all the questions/concerns about "World Class City":

Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post
Finance and Business, GDP, CBOE/CME, Immigrant population, Education (UofC, Northwestern), Rail hub of the country, NATO summits, etc etc Or, looking at the metrics, (in terms you could understand) Chicago beats LA approx 4/6 times: Global city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The GaWC was the first group to put together criteria and rankings, and I believe it's still the best (although other ones certainly have their usefulness). The criteria they set was based on "corporate service centers", with a focus on accountancy, advertising, banking and law. They don't define "World Class", but they sort cities by Alpha, Beta, and Gamma, with the Alpha cities generally being regarded as "World Class". Each category is further broken down into ++, +, and - (i.e. London and NYC are the only two cities that get "Alpha++").

US Alpha cities are:

NYC (alpha ++)
Chicago (alpha +)
LA (alpha)
SF (alpha)
DC (alpha)
Miami (alpha -)
Boston (alpha -)
Dallas (alpha -)
Atlanta (alpha -)
Philadelphia (alpha -)

While there are many ways to determine "World Class", this is the group that created the concept of these city rankings, and is probably the best source to look at.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:17 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,756,006 times
Chicago takes pride in being above LA in this ranking (although anyone who has visited both cities would know it's obviously flawed and LA is the more global international city).

LA doesn't even know or care it exists, they just know LA is so much cooler (not the weather) it's irrelevant.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:19 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,205,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Las Vegas is world-class in the respect people from across the world want to say they've been there.

I'm not sure the same applies to Chicago, although it's a much more major city.
Well Vegas is a world known tourist destination - but obviously it's nowhere near a "world class" city itself. It's mostly just relevant to the USA. The western US states make up 55% of Vegas visitors, with overseas travelers being fairly low overall, and normally people who visit LA and piggyback a trip to Vegas.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:22 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
The western US states make up 55% of Vegas visitors, with overseas travelers being fairly low overall, and normally people who visit LA and piggyback a trip to Vegas.
Very true, a lot from the US in general. The second part of that yeah. My rich Indian friend's parents last summer visited the US and stayed a week in LA, and then went to Vegas for 3 days on a road trip after that. Then they came to Chicago for 2 weeks, then NYC for 2 weeks, then DC for a week. My friend does not live in Chicago for the record.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:44 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,756,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Well Vegas is a world known tourist destination - but obviously it's nowhere near a "world class" city itself. It's mostly just relevant to the USA. The western US states make up 55% of Vegas visitors, with overseas travelers being fairly low overall, and normally people who visit LA and piggyback a trip to Vegas.
I've always seen lots of international travelers when I have visited. The majority of Chicago's tourists look like they're visiting from any small city in the midwest. So many "State University" shirts for every school imaginable in the midwest.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:44 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,746,125 times
Chicago is world class enough for me. I'm happy that it's not as big, expensive, overcrowded, too much traffic, and extremely high rent as NYC and LA. Houston is also a great place to live but it's just too hot in summer.

And I bet all these reports are of BLACK TEENS commiting mob crimes. And I thought the Gov just passed a law against mob crimes.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:46 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,467,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
And I bet all these reports are of BLACK TEENS commiting mob crimes. And I thought the Gov just passed a law against mob crimes.
Black teens in a group = mob, regardless of what they're doing. I've never known any teens from the hood that hang out on Michigan Avenue. Maybe they're from the suburbs. *shrug* These articles are distractions and they're trying to take blame away from where it should be placed--City Hall.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:47 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
LA doesn't even know or care it exists, they just know LA is so much cooler (not the weather) it's irrelevant.
Half of my family is from LA, including my dad, and I have family members who until recently were high up in city government in LA. My dad is the only person on that side to not live in the LA area in fact. I can tell you for a fact that they know and care that Chicago exists. Even Stan's Donuts is coming to Chicago now.

Sorry Iowa boy, but stop trying to act too cool for school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago