Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 08:46 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,227,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
This pretty much sums it up......

“If not $15, then something. I mean give us something. I work 36 hours a week and barely make enough to pay my rent, gas bill, light bill. It gets to the point where I barely have enough for lunch sometimes,” said Angel Richardson, 21, who works at McDonald’s. “I’m five months pregnant, what am I going to do in four months? I hope something changes.”

400 area retail, fast-food workers demand $15-an-hour minimum wage - Chicago Sun-Times

Umm...how about not getting pregnant when you're 21 and can't afford to have a baby? The reason you're 21 and prego is the same reason you're working at McDonald's.
Back to the original post and Prost's list of CEO's. Interesting enough Blankenfeld, Schultz and Burns
all lived in NY public Housing. Also, Oprah was born to an unmarried teenage mother - read about
her early life. U. Burns was also raised by an unwed mother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 08:48 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,883,929 times
IMO, it's completely irrelevant how people rise up to become CEOs. It's what they do in the job that counts.

They make those insane sums (talking Fortune 500 size businesses here) because most people simply cannot and will not do the job, which increasingly has little to do with actual product innovation and everything to do with mergers and downsizing strategy. The supply of such people is much lower than one might think.

Additionally, some studies suggest that a disproportionate number tend to share the personality traits of diagnosed sociopaths. This is because it takes someone fairly cold-hearted to eliminate hundreds or thousands or jobs while simultaneously accepting incredible sums of money as a "bonus" for doing this.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:52 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,040,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I've worked in teaching hospitals for 30 years, so I'm well-acquainted with them. And I'd take their work ethic, and their integrity, over a typically-vain CEO any day of the week. The CEO has no idea of the work involved in becoming a physician, and couldn't handle the workload anyway.

When I go to any hospital seeking treatment, I could care less about the CEO, who likely doesn't know an IV from a doorknob.

You'd better quit while you're behind.
Yeh, those CEO's are such dummies, that's why they're in charge of billion dollar hospitals.

Again, people don't wake up one day and say "I think I'll be a CEO". It takes and incredible amount of work, sacrifice, risk, etc to get to where these guys and ladies are.

If you want to be upset over what someone gets paid for doing nothing, why don't you track down those Powerball winners and tell them they don't deserve it. After all, all they risked was a couple bucks and got lucky.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:58 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,040,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williepotatoes View Post
Yeah, but the trend today is towards rock star CEO's with PR skills and svengali like qualities that can quell stockholders first and foremost. Their jobs are becoming less to innovate and more to rubber stamp the decisions of people below them while they rep those decisions to the world. Often being paid staggering sums in the process.

A bad CEO can help put thousands of people out of work and literally dump on millions of stockholders. And yet here we are in a thread where the villains are minimum wage workers who dare ask for a raise.
There are bad CEOs just as there are bad min wage workers. The difference is, bad CEOs have to report to a Board or shareholders and when things aren't going as planned, they don't last too long.
Granted, sometimes they get a nice severance package when they get canned but the same can be said for a guy who plays in the NBA, signs a mega contract and then sucks the rest of his career.

Should a CEO make $10 million a year? Not for me to say. But, should 50 Cent, Jay-Z, Tom Hanks or Jennifer Aniston make $10-20-30 million a year? For doing what exactly? What are they contributing to society? Their pay is much more out of line than the CEO of a Fortune 500 company.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:10 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
IMO, it's completely irrelevant how people rise up to become CEOs. It's what they do in the job that counts.

They make those insane sums (talking Fortune 500 size businesses here) because most people simply cannot and will not do the job, which increasingly has little to do with actual product innovation and everything to do with mergers and downsizing strategy. The supply of such people is much lower than one might think.

Additionally, some studies suggest that a disproportionate number tend to share the personality traits of diagnosed sociopaths. This is because it takes someone fairly cold-hearted to eliminate hundreds or thousands or jobs while simultaneously accepting incredible sums of money as a "bonus" for doing this.
Couldn't agree more, especially with the 2nd paragraph.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:14 AM

955 posts, read 1,832,882 times
Quote:

Should a CEO make $10 million a year? Not for me to say.
Then you shouldn't have anything to say about minimum wage workers, Jayz or Tom Hanks either. At least be consistent.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:57 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,109,175 times
Quote:
You probably don't think doctors work hard either....After all, looks like a pretty cushy, well paying, white collar profession.
Interesting you mention doctors. Their pay is inflated due to doctors lobbying together (but wisely, not under the guise of a union - thus giving it blessing from conservatives like yourself) through strict occupational licensing creating unecessarily high barriers for well-trained foreign doctors from practicing here, through laws preventing nurses doing some of the basic tasks well within their training to do (at a far lower cost), from the amount of new MDs awarded per year (the same amount since 1980) creating an artificial doctor shortage, and on and on.

This is a major reason why our health care is far and away the most expensive in the world, yet these severe market distortions never seem to bother you guys.

A few fast food workers lobbying for a couple more bucks per hour, on the other hand...

Old 08-12-2013, 11:04 AM

367 posts, read 673,200 times
Quote:
Should a CEO make $10 million a year? Not for me to say. But, should 50 Cent, Jay-Z, Tom Hanks or Jennifer Aniston make $10-20-30 million a year? For doing what exactly? What are they contributing to society? Their pay is much more out of line than the CEO of a Fortune 500 company.
What do lots of CEOs contribute to society? They figured out how to convince the stupid, bored, and lazy that they should buy their useless crap?

Old 08-12-2013, 11:30 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,883,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williepotatoes View Post
Then you shouldn't have anything to say about minimum wage workers, Jayz or Tom Hanks either. At least be consistent.
Consistency is clearly not his strong suit.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:32 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,424,925 times
Quote:
There are bad CEOs just as there are bad min wage workers. The difference is, bad CEOs have to report to a Board or shareholders and when things aren't going as planned, they don't last too long.
Granted, sometimes they get a nice severance package when they get canned but the same can be said for a guy who plays in the NBA, signs a mega contract and then sucks the rest of his career.

Actors get paid equal to what society is willing to pay in ticket prices to see their movies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago