Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 12:42 PM

111 posts, read 275,477 times

Advertisements

First off i do like hippies, wierdos, and earthquakes (california), as opposed to conservatives, white trash, freezing winters, tornados, and humidity.

The definition of cosmopolitan is: The word cosmopolitan describes an environment where many cultures from around the world coexist;

sorry buddy thats not chicago remember. Chicago is one of the most segretated cities in america there for the people do not coexist, they stick to their own kind. Maybe if you knew the definition you wouldnt look so stupid! but that again is another trait of chicagoans, to talk about things they dont know about.

SanFrancisco's fine arts blows away chicago any day. Our architecture??Hahaha, so youd rather look at the massive 30 story high project homes in chicago, as opposed to 2million dollar row homes.

San Fran's ghetto suburbs? HAHAHAH. You should do some research because san francsico has the highest meadian home value out of any city with more than 500,000 people. Not mention san mateo county, and santa clara counties ( south bay area). it costs 700,000 dollars for a 3 bed room ranch house in these areas. i dont think thats ghetto. Of course oakland and richmond are ghetto, but i dont think they are anymore ghetto than the entire west and south sides of chicago. What about cicero, bellwood, blue island? Chicago has its more than its fair share of dumps (thats why they are trying to tear them all down).

the median home value of the bay area's avearge suburbs can get you a house in chicago's gold coast, the most affluent area of chicago! Land in chicago is much CHEAPER and worth MUCH LESS than in the SF area. thats why dupage county(which has the highest median home values in il) is at 380,000.

380,000??? Hahahaha i dont even know if you can get a house in the ghetto for that price in the bay area. i cant remember the last time i heard prices that low. ITS BEEN YEARS.hah!

san fracisco on the other hand doesnt have to tear down its dumps at all. The entire city has been almost completely gentrified seeing as how the wealthy can not resist to live here. and all the blue collar people simply cant afford to live where they grew up. (which is why they move to oakland and richmond).And thats why you cant afford to live there.

and chicago a world city? Than why is it people from new york, connecticut, washington dc, los angeles, san diego, and sf bay area ,always call that corn field between the east and west coast as "fly over country". thats where you live steve-o in fly over country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2006, 12:53 PM

Oh by the way i think san diego is way better than chicago too!

Old 12-07-2006, 01:50 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
So what if San Fran has the highest home values??? Whod want to buy a dump in the ghetto of San Fran for 380 grand? Just shows how STUPID youd be to buy one, when you could have a lovely suburban home out here w/o having to worry about a quake shaking it to the ground. And the Gold Coast is a nice area, nicer than any area Id been to in San Fran. Youre blocks from everything in the world!

And San Fran/Cali has FAR more white trash than Illinois and FAR more scum illegals, not something Id be too proud of!

What exact fine arts does San Fran possess that are world renowned? Surely I dont know of any museums or galleries or symphonies that hail from the Bay Area that are note worthy. Think again before you state that San Fran has better fine arts.

700 grand for a 3 bedroom ranch? Just shows how out of control the home prices are in the area! Not something to brag about, no wonder natives are leaving for AZ, FL and CO in droves, why hang out in dump Cali when you can get something twice as big for 1/2 the price in a better area with better schools? And if you want to go that far, Ive seen 1 BR condos in Chicago go for 500 grand. There are LOTS of high-priced complexes in Chicago, the latest going to be in the Fordham Spire and Trumps new project.

And the reason San Fran doesnt have to tear down its dumps is because the earthquakes have taken care of that several times, of course its going to look newer and nicer! Heck, if Chicago was rattled to its foundations, you know darn well it would look spiffy and nice too once we rebuilt it.

And 'fly over' country? Hmmm, thats why theres 9 million people here (WAAAAAY more than pathetic San Fran's population) at any given time? Strong business that makes San Frans business district look like crumbs? And if its also 'fly over' country, then why is O' Hare consistently ranked the busiest airport in the world? Chicago is a force to be reckoned with, a leader in business , something San Fran dreams of.

Old 12-07-2006, 05:18 PM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,619,309 times
Default ignore cdrobert

Seriously, everybody just ignore the racist and insulting cdrobert.

Old 12-07-2006, 05:48 PM

27 posts, read 157,056 times
guys...!
how can you compare a small city (46.7 sq miles with pop of 700,000) like SF to CHICAGO ( 220 sq miles pop of 2,896,016).

Old 12-08-2006, 02:50 AM

Steve you make me laugh really. at some point its dillusion. you cant even buy a house in the ghetto in san francisco for 400,000. you can get one for half a million maybe but not in sf. and if you cant afford it to bad. its not our fault our middle class lives in 750,000 dollar houses. we just make more money! and we just made smart real estate investments.

infact here is some more facts i offer:

Forty-two San Francisco Bay Area residents made the Forbes magazine's 400 richest Americans list, published in 2006.Thirteen live within San Francisco proper, tying Moscow and London with the most billionaires] in the world. Among the forty-two were several well-known names such as Steven Paul Jobs, George Lucas, and Charles Schwab. The highest-ranking resident is Larry Ellison of Oracle at No. 4. He is worth $19.5 billion.

A study by Claritas indicates that in 2004, 5% of all households within the San Francisco and San Jose metropolitan areas held $1 million in investable assets [1], and Wells Fargo estimates that there are 180,000 millionaire households in the Bay Area, 10% of which have $5 million or more in assets

oh and oakland is not a "suburb". oakland has an airport, a pro football team, and a pro baseball team and a population exceeding 400,000 somthing most subrubs dont have.

and chicago better schools? sorry buddy UC BERKELEY AND UCLA ALWAYS rank higher than U of I in EVERYTHING. Your public k-12 may be better, but you guys fall right off the boat when it comes to college.(one of the reasons i chose to go to school out west!)

Oh and the reason people are leaving california for other states. its called the california cash out, we sell our tiney houses and than move to places like chicago where we live like KINGS for the same price. hahaha i would never take it. mother called me today and told me how wonderfully cold it was in chicago, while she was calling me i was drinking a corona watching the waves brake and mavricks beach...in december.

and when WAS the last time we had a bad earthquake? its been nearly 20 years....oh wait isnt chicago the place where when their are heatwaves scores of elderly people die because they are stuck on the 30th floor or an appartment that doesnt even have AC??

And the sf bay area's metro population is over 7 million, not to far from chicagolands 9. Wow 2 million more people. Give me a break LA metro has 14 million and new york is at 18 million. quit acting like chicago is a mega giant. the only difference i see is that chicago is one big conglomerate city like LA were the Bay area is more like dallas fort worth or minn-st paul, we have many cities that make up our area. Thus offering more diversity.

SanFrancisco is the financial and cultural capital of the bay, much like manhattan is to the rest of nyc.

We have the east bay which is working class. Than we have san jose home of silicon valley and the tech capital of the United States. Oh wait chicago doesnt even have a strong tech industry what so ever unless you work at firmi lab. The biotech revolution 1980'sand the digital revolution all happend in california.

And if the bay is so bad why does Steve Jobs still live here. Do you even know who steve jobs is?

Old 12-08-2006, 02:55 AM

and mdz im not racist at all. i dont think polish people qualify as a race seperate from caucasians. Im just pointed out all the those workers all seem to be polish, and to me that seems odd. Furthermore what is even more odd is that nothing ever gets done construction wise till the last minute. I was wrong for calling them lazy, its more like their employers (the ***** county government) are lazy money laundering bums.

Old 12-08-2006, 08:56 AM

Robert, Robert, Robert. What do I do with you?!?!

Youre contradicting yourself my friend. You mention how expensive it is even in San Fran's "ghetto", right? Then you mention how "smart" you guys are out there, but whos "smart" enough to pay that much cash for a dump in the dump part of town? Doesnt make much sense! And if Cali was such a great place, why do you work, sell a house and then get the heck out? Ill tell you why, cuz people want to move to cities that have better quality of life. Cities that are cheaper and offer more things to do. Cities that arent either on fire, under mud and water or shaken apart by earthquakes (traits that all Cali cities have in common). Cities that have 4 seasons, hot and hotter.

And big deal that youre sippin a Corona and watching waves break. Does that imply something? I can go out to Lake Michigan and do the same thing and not brag about it. And San Fran is hardly warm 1/2 the time, its not like its LA or Miami or Honolulu. And yes, its been cold here the last few days, but the spell is over and were back to normal.

I must say that Im also impressed with the fact that 42 super rich people live in San Fran, thats just amazing! Thats a whopping amount for a city with 600K people! I bet there are more Fortune 500 companies in Oak Brook, IL alone than all of San Fran. Actually, San Fran is the ONLY cali city to make the list, and guess what? Yep, they play 2nd fiddle to Chicago. Dont believe me? Read here:

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortu...une500/cities/

And where do you get off saying we dont have good schools here? Northwestern isnt good?

And 2 million more people is ALOT. Dont say that isnt a big deal. Take 3 times the amount of San Frans population away from the area and youll get an idea how many 2 million people really is. And yes, Chicago is a mega giant, no doubt evident by the population and sizeable downtown. Have you still looked up "global cities" or "world cities" yet? Didnt think so.

And FYI, its Fermi, not firmi. Give Enrico a little more credit than that... And Illinois has quite a decently large tech industry. You should do some research before you spew more garbage: Read below.

http://lmi.ides.state.il.us/lmr/hightech.htm (broken link)

Bottom line: San Fran isnt anything special other than a tourist town. If youre visiting, its great. If youre living there, youre paying OUTRAGEOUS prices to live in a town that cant boast about anything other than hills, cable cars and the ocean, which is also too cold to swim in and infested with sharks. Whoop de frickin do.

Just for good measure..... hmmmm, wonder where San Fran is on this list?

http://www.citymayors.com/economics/richest_cities.html

Old 12-08-2006, 09:04 AM

To all other board members:

Im sorry to have to keep bringing this issue up, but Im here to defend Chicago against naysayers. Its obvious that people hold a grudge against Chicago, and for unknown reasons, its almost like theyre jealous that their cities dont offer nearly as much.

To all who are expecting to move here, please visit the area for yourself and see that Chicago is a wonderful town. Yes, there are really bad areas, but every city has really bad areas. Yes, the winters CAN get extremely cold, but it doesnt happen that often. Summers can get humid as well, but only for a short while, not oppressive humidity that the south suffers all summer. If you can find a downtown, other than NYC, that offers as much to do as Chicago, then, well, Ill call you a liar. j/k j/k j/k

Old 12-08-2006, 01:53 PM

Well steveo first off of the 42 members out of 400, that is 10% Thats actually quite alot for a tourist town. and i was sipping a corona in santa cruz, my new home town of residence, where it was 65 degrees. where as in chicago yesterday the windchill factor had you guys under zero! and guess what it rained today so you got some snow commin your way!

Northwestern is good, but not as good as stanford!

here is some more :

The San Francisco Bay Area is one of the wealthiest regions in the United States. According to the United States Census Bureau, of the 280 defined metropolitan areas, the San Francisco Bay Area has the highest median household income in the nation with $62,024 in the year 2000. The Census Bureau also released data in August 2006 citing San Jose as having the second highest median household income among large cities. Among medium-sized cities, Pleasanton has the highest household income in the country, and Livermore the third highest.[4]

While only 26% of households nationwide boast incomes of over $75,000 a year, 48% of households in the San Francisco Bay Area feature such incomes.[2] The percentage of households with incomes exceeding the $100,000 mark in the Bay Area was double the nationwide percentage. Roughly one third (31%) of households in the San Francisco Bay Area had a six figure income, versus less than 16% at the nationwide level.[3] In June 2003, a study by Stanford University reviewing US Census Bureau statistics determined the median household income in the San Francisco Bay Area to be roughly 60% above national average.[2] Overall the largest income bracket in the Bay Area were households making between $100,000 and $150,000 annually, who constituted roughly 18% of households.[2] On a national level the largest income bracket were households with incomes between $30,000 and $40,000 who constituted 13% of all households nationwide.[3]

Six of the top ten California places with the highest per capita income are in the San Francisco Bay Area (Belvedere, Atherton, Woodside, Portola Valley, Diablo). Of the 100 highest income counties by per capita income in the United States, six are in the San Francisco Bay Area (Marin, San Mateo, San Francisco, Santa Clara, Contra Costa, Alameda). According to Forbes Magazine, published in 2005, 12 of the top 50 most expensive Zip Codes are in the Bay Area (Hillsborough, Atherton, Ross, Diablo, Tiburon, Los Altos, Nicasio, Portola Valley, Los Gatos, San Francisco).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago