Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 01:37 PM

149 posts, read 467,537 times

Advertisements

Everywhere I go, I see minorities. On public transportation, in stores, in bars, and in restaurants. Is it the housing? How is segregation in Chicago measured?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 02:32 PM

125 posts, read 172,712 times
People naturally group together for a number of reasons.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:38 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,425,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbacchus View Post
Everywhere I go, I see minorities. On public transportation, in stores, in bars, and in restaurants. Is it the housing? How is segregation in Chicago measured?
This doesn't make sense, Chicago is segregated but everywhere you go you see minorities? That would mean they are not segregated.

And who cares, are you scared? Because that's how this comes across.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:42 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,885,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbacchus View Post
It is measured solely by housing.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:45 PM

498 posts, read 725,130 times
I think what he's trying to say is "People say Chicago is segregated, but I don't see it as being segregated. How are the data compiled?"

There's many ways to measure segregation. You can say "There are x% of Hispanics in Chicago. What percentage Hispanic is the neighborhood where the average Hispanic person lives". For instance the average black person lives in a neighborhood that is 45 percent black. Without segregation, his neighborhood would be only 13 percent black (this is for the country). And yes, it's done by housing

Old 08-08-2013, 02:56 PM

1,478 posts, read 2,414,396 times
Yes, it is generally done by comparing local racial composition for neighborhoods, census tracts, census block groups, etc and comparing those to racial composition for the entire metro. You could calculate multiple dissimilarity indices for a given area based upon two races: non-Hispanic black to non-Hispanic white, white to Hispanic, white-Asian, etc.

Index of dissimilarity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-08-2013, 02:58 PM

692 posts, read 855,940 times
I spent the summer in Chicago two years ago, and was absolutely shocked by the black/white divide in the town (and fwiw I saw very few hispanics outside of work crews, too). Now, I come from a pretty diverse town in TX (one of the most diverse in the country, actually), but the degree of self-segregation I saw, and of "he's black so I must fear him" I saw from whites was both unexpected and honestly quite jolting.

Not intending to trash Chicago, as I quite enjoyed the place in general and it's got a lot going for it. But I would agree that it has significant race issues.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:10 PM

1,478 posts, read 2,414,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happycrow View Post
I spent the summer in Chicago two years ago, and was absolutely shocked by the black/white divide in the town (and fwiw I saw very few hispanics outside of work crews, too). Now, I come from a pretty diverse town in TX (one of the most diverse in the country, actually), but the degree of self-segregation I saw, and of "he's black so I must fear him" I saw from whites was both unexpected and honestly quite jolting.

Not intending to trash Chicago, as I quite enjoyed the place in general and it's got a lot going for it. But I would agree that it has significant race issues.
It's really no different than any other town that received a lot of black migrants during the Great Migration in that regard. Inbound migrants were segregated into certain neighborhoods in those decades and have moved into others during the White Flight era. This is quite a bit different than areas in the south or west. Western towns never had a huge unskilled labor wave of AAs arrive en masse and the south has been much more AA for much, much longer.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:14 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,575,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago76 View Post
It's really no different than any other town that received a lot of black migrants during the Great Migration in that regard. Inbound migrants were segregated into certain neighborhoods in those decades and have moved into others during the White Flight era. This is quite a bit different than areas in the south or west. Western towns never had a huge unskilled labor wave of AAs arrive en masse and the south has been much more AA for much, much longer.
Is that a reason or an excuse? People are always making excuses for Chicago's many shortcomings.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:17 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,976,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happycrow View Post

I agree! I've not seen this much racial tension before. I've gotten use to some of the ism but some of it I refuse to accept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago