Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 07:11 AM

498 posts, read 977,880 times

Advertisements

I ride my bike to and from work daily, and every single morning I have to swerve or stop in the bike lane because some stupid pedestrian decides they can't wait twelve seconds for the Walk signal to come on.

Next time it happens I'm not stopping and I hope you die.

Seriously, what the hell is wrong with people? Do you ever look down and notice those big painted letters on the road that say LOOK FOR BIKE? Usually right on top of two narrow lanes that look like they might be reserved for bicycles? Or are you just ****ing stupid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 07:14 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
I've noticed in general the pedestrians in Chicago tend to just walk casually into the roadways regardless of traffic or signals and dare you to hit them.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:18 AM

498 posts, read 977,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I've noticed in general the pedestrians in Chicago tend to just walk casually into the roadways regardless of traffic or signals and dare you to hit them.

I might pick up a cupholder later and just bring a cup of coffee on my ride, and throw it at the first person who jaywalks in front of my bike each day.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:23 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Usually the biker gets hurt worse in these collisions, which may be why the pedestrians don't care as much.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:27 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
I don't think this is a Chicago exclusive. Even in little ol Indianapolis this happens quite frequently.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:30 AM

1,988 posts, read 2,223,598 times
And bikers blow stop signs and red lights. And drivers turn on red when they aren't supposed to and blow red lights. People do dumb things.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:32 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
And bikers blow stop signs and red lights. And drivers turn on red when they aren't supposed to and blow red lights. People do dumb things.
True, anyone care to start a thread about how they hate when cars make a Boston left here?

Old 09-17-2013, 07:35 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
I beleive it is felony to throw anything either from or at a moving vehicle under Illinois law. In Illinois bicycles are vehicles. This give some rights but also some responsibilities.

Don't let emotions overwhelm your capacity for reason.

Get a bell and use it -- bicyclists in everyother country on earth deal with things much better than those in the US. The mindest of foolish weight reduction and recklessness does not serve bicyclists well.

Read this for some perspective: Pedestrian Safety, Pedestrian Rage, Bicycling Safety by Dr. Leon James

Old 09-17-2013, 07:37 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,250,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
Yeah, this is what i was thinking. I bike daily and am probably one of the better bikers out there (stop at stop signs on major roads, stop at red lights, etc), but I don't complain much due to the general bad rule following of many other bikers.

Car drivers are bad, but they can kill people
Bikers are bad, and they can cause accidents
Pedestrians are bad and they can die

Old 09-17-2013, 07:49 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Some things make death seem like a better option. Visit an emergancy room or worse a nursing home...

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Yeah, this is what i was thinking. I bike daily and am probably one of the better bikers out there (stop at stop signs on major roads, stop at red lights, etc), but I don't complain much due to the general bad rule following of many other bikers.

Car drivers are bad, but they can kill people
Bikers are bad, and they can cause accidents
Pedestrians are bad and they can die
A bicycle moving at a pace even well below 25 MPH has loads more momentum than a pedestrian -- even with a helmet on one smack into a car, truck, bus, light pole, vending box, transit shelter,etc with enough force to result in permament trauma. Not too many things that'll make you rethink bad behavior in traffic like seeing some formerly fit young person penned up on brain injury unit with mostly Alzheimer's patients slurping puréed peas off a safety spoon and having their diapers changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago