Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 10:42 AM

138 posts, read 637,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg453 View Post
Red sauce (marinara style) is more commonly available on a combination (combo) sandwich which is Italian beef and Italian sausage. It is more of a personal preference than a rule.

Here is a basic Italian beef recipe that is posted on Gonnella Bread Company's website for Italian Beef.

Gonnella - Gonnella at Your Grocery
Thanks, now all I need is a recipe for the red sauce to go with it. Or did I miss that? I am hearing to use any marinara sauce, but my boyfriend seems to think the one he had was something special, with different spices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 07:51 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,513,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenn or ozark bound View Post
Thanks, now all I need is a recipe for the red sauce to go with it. Or did I miss that? I am hearing to use any marinara sauce, but my boyfriend seems to think the one he had was something special, with different spices.

The red sauce was a marinara sauce I'm sure, but probably every place has their own little way to "kick it up". I think your best bet might be to call the deli in Reno and just ask.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:56 PM

27 posts, read 140,472 times
Kicking it up is the worst thing to do to a tomato sauce, the secret is to buy the very best canned tomatoes and keep it simple.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:13 PM

440 posts, read 1,502,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenn or ozark bound View Post
Chicago-Style Red (marinara) Sauce:

1. Put one small/medium small yellow or white onion in your food prcessor. Chop it - but not too much!

2. Put some olive oil (enough to coat the frying pan) in a frying pan, or a wok if you really know what you are doing (this came to Italy via Marco Polo, after all).

3. Under medium heat, cook the onions until they are clear or less white than they started out.

4. Add minced garlic, one tablespoon minimum. More if you like garlic (I do).

5. Now: decision time! Either go with Italian-style canned tomatos in tomato sauce(the kind you pay up the ass for at Dominicks) or go to Pete's and get their pseudo-Italian-style canned tomatoes in tomato juice - Your choice. Whatever you choose, either put the tomatoes in the food processor and GENTLY chop them or pour them in a bowl and crush them gently by hand.

6. Pour whatever tomato option you have selected in step 5 the wok/frying pan and add a half tablespoon of thyme and a two tablespoons of Basil.

7. Put a top on the pan, and let it simmer just until boiling, at which time, turn off the stove. Add salt until you like the taste (and remember - these are tomatoes, they need a fair amount of salt).

8. Now add the pasta, polenta, beef(?) or whatever you are adding to it, although I'm confused as to why it would be anythng but pasta for this particular sauce.

9. Wow your friends with your "authentic" Taylor Street sauce - just don't let on that the guy who gave it to you can't vouch for is authenticity, seeing as how his family is from Trentino, where this sauce does not exist, rather than Siciia or Napoli, where it might.

That, Yupsters, is the recipe that virtually every Italian Restaurant in Chicago offers under the name "marinara" sauce or whatever. The only variation is wheterr they use canned tomatioas I have speified or whether they used "crusehd" tomatos i you follow my instrudctions. Note that you will pay $12.00 minimun per plate, and if it takes longer to make than the pasta to boil, you are doing something wrong.

Last edited by NearWestSider; 09-11-2009 at 10:54 PM..

Old 09-12-2009, 08:15 PM

146 posts, read 468,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearWestSider View Post
Chicago-Style Red (marinara) Sauce:

1. Put one small/medium small yellow or white onion in your food prcessor. Chop it - but not too much!

2. Put some olive oil (enough to coat the frying pan) in a frying pan, or a wok if you really know what you are doing (this came to Italy via Marco Polo, after all).

3. Under medium heat, cook the onions until they are clear or less white than they started out.

4. Add minced garlic, one tablespoon minimum. More if you like garlic (I do).

5. Now: decision time! Either go with Italian-style canned tomatos in tomato sauce(the kind you pay up the ass for at Dominicks) or go to Pete's and get their pseudo-Italian-style canned tomatoes in tomato juice - Your choice. Whatever you choose, either put the tomatoes in the food processor and GENTLY chop them or pour them in a bowl and crush them gently by hand.

6. Pour whatever tomato option you have selected in step 5 the wok/frying pan and add a half tablespoon of thyme and a two tablespoons of Basil.

7. Put a top on the pan, and let it simmer just until boiling, at which time, turn off the stove. Add salt until you like the taste (and remember - these are tomatoes, they need a fair amount of salt).

8. Now add the pasta, polenta, beef(?) or whatever you are adding to it, although I'm confused as to why it would be anythng but pasta for this particular sauce.

9. Wow your friends with your "authentic" Taylor Street sauce - just don't let on that the guy who gave it to you can't vouch for is authenticity, seeing as how his family is from Trentino, where this sauce does not exist, rather than Siciia or Napoli, where it might.

That, Yupsters, is the recipe that virtually every Italian Restaurant in Chicago offers under the name "marinara" sauce or whatever. The only variation is wheterr they use canned tomatioas I have speified or whether they used "crusehd" tomatos i you follow my instrudctions. Note that you will pay $12.00 minimun per plate, and if it takes longer to make than the pasta to boil, you are doing something wrong.
Great post, NearWestsider!

Here is a link to the full blown Sunday gravy (red sauce) which is not a marinara sauce.

Anthony's Pasta Sauce and Meatballs Recipe! Secret Family Recipe for Spaghetti Sauce, Meatballs and Braciole!

I have made this gravy and I think it is high quality family recipe. My family loved it! If you do not have a family recipe and have no experience making gravy this is a great step by step recipe. Also a great garlic bread recipe is also available on the website.

Hanno un buon pasto! (Have a good meal!!)

Old 02-12-2013, 12:16 PM

1 posts, read 14,826 times
I too have been looking for a Italian Beef sandwich simmered with a red sauce, or gravy as it's called by the Italians, but NOT MARINARA!! Anybody can open a jar of Ragu or whatever and spoon some on top, but it's not the taste we are looking for. There were a couple of pizza restaurants (back in the 60's) here in Hammond, In. that made them that way and the vienna roll was toasted. They were to die for! I've tinkered with a recipe that I use for Italian sausage sandwiches that is close, but still something is missing when applied to beef. I keep searching which led me to this forum. Not even sure a Gordon Ramsey recipe could measure up to the vintage taste of recipes back then.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:18 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaJean View Post
I too have been looking for a Italian Beef sandwich simmered with a red sauce, or gravy as it's called by the Italians, but NOT MARINARA!! Anybody can open a jar of Ragu or whatever and spoon some on top, but it's not the taste we are looking for. There were a couple of pizza restaurants (back in the 60's) here in Hammond, In. that made them that way and the vienna roll was toasted. They were to die for! I've tinkered with a recipe that I use for Italian sausage sandwiches that is close, but still something is missing when applied to beef. I keep searching which led me to this forum. Not even sure a Gordon Ramsey recipe could measure up to the vintage taste of recipes back then.
Italian beef in a gravy? Never heard of it.

It's always in beef juice.

A meatball sandwich definitely has gravy though.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:43 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default Key distinction...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Italian beef in a gravy? Never heard of it.

It's always in beef juice.

A meatball sandwich definitely has gravy though.
Vlajos is correct that a BEEF sandwich is traditionally accompanied with "beef cooking juices". The traditional designation of this at the sorts of place that serve it is NOT "au jus" but is "gravy" though through the unholy influence of a certain TV series that featured the New Jersey Italian designation of "gravy" as a tomato based simmered ragu alla Barese or ragu alla napoletana (which was similarly patterned on the terminology popularized by "mobster" movies) much confusion has ensued.

A meatball sandwich in Chicago is traditionally served with a simmered tomato based sauce. The "reduction" that comes from cooking as well as the loss of water (to the filler in the meatball) results in a fairly thick sauce that is lower acid content than most quickly cooked marinara sauces and may be part of the naming convention as much as the color.(The "mariners" of Napolianic times needed high acid meatless sauces for their voyages...).

The origins of these tomatoe based sauces in Italy coincide with the simultaneous introduction of the fruit from the New World and spices from the West Indies. The most likely "dried herb" that should be associated with such an authentic sauce is likely the dried leaves of the "Bay Laurel". Most folks that write about such things rightly call bay leaves a subtley vegetal "spice" with hints of the more pronounced herbs like mint, thyme, coriander and clove. It is suppose to be a "background" flavor so that the spices in an Italian sausage or meatball are complemented not masked.

In contrast basil and thymme have a history of cultivation in the ancient Mediterrian / Egypt that traces the "ancient world" overland spice trade from India & the Orient. Thymme, with its inncense-like aroma is probably not the best choice for Italian sauage that in Chicago style is heavy with fennel seeds nor the simple meatiness of a well made meatball. So too is basil a less that ideal with its bright bite. (Though its presences in dishes of Thai origin makes sense as they are almost a "cooked salad" and indeed the pleasantness of the herb in fresh salads of either Thai or Italian influence is quite welcome...).

In short, some dishes are supposed to be light and fresh and others should fill you up so that even on a cold day you feel like taking a long nap after such a meal!

Last edited by chet everett; 02-12-2013 at 01:53 PM..

Old 03-08-2014, 01:27 AM

1 posts, read 14,194 times
I also am looking for a recipe for a red sauce for Italian beefs. They served a delicious sauce at Lew's Drive In that was in Batavia IL, but it was sold and they no longer use it. It was ketchup based, and I believe they used Hunt's brand. Does that ring a bell with anyone?
Barbara
Geneva, IL

Old 03-08-2014, 03:15 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,588,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERS-One View Post
A Chicago style beef sandwich doesn't have red sauce. It's not tomato based. More like beef broth with a bunch of spices.
Oh yes it can!! Some Italian beef/hotdog stands have them. I think Mr Beef on Harlem near Irving has it there. It really tastes good. add a little to the sandwich after dipping the bun in the juice extra juicy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago