Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2013, 12:49 PM

2 posts, read 5,491 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am currently a special education teacher in St. Louis. Previously I completed an urban teacher residency in CPS, obtained my master's degree in special education, and have endorsements in Elementary Ed (K-9), LBSI and LBSII (the two main types of Illinois special ed endorsements). I would like to move back to Chicago and teach special education in CPS for next school year. It seems like CPS generally hires extremely late in the game and I know there have been a ton of school closings, thus displaced teachers. I'm wondering if someone with knowledge of the special ed job outlook in CPS could speak to the following questions:

1. When is the best time to apply for the 2014-2015 school year?
2. Will listing an out of state address hurt me? Should I list a Chicago friend's address instead?
3. Are there a shortage of special ed teacher in CPS right now?
4. Should I try to make a trip off to drop off resumes in person, or does it not matter?

Thanks for any help you can offer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 01:24 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,421,872 times
Default You should know some of this already...

In general principals in CPS do not have any idea of what kinds of staffing changes they can make until very late spring -- a whole chain of semi-secret decisions starts with the period for students to apply for selective enrollment schools-- that typically ends right before the schools close for Christmass and that is the biggest driver in who is needed at various schools.

Each principal is mosty free to select any qualified teacher for new openings but most naturally have a bias against wasting their time with people from outside the area; prudence says if you can use a friend's address it will be a wise edge.

CPS runs an "hrportal" site that ought to provide information about areas of need for certified staff. It is responding very erratically. My friends that still work for CPS tell me a large mismatch exists between the kinds of people that make successful SpecEd teachers in CPS and the hoops that there are to get hired...

If you can locate a school that you know you would like to work at that posts openings for teachers with your qualifications it may be worth trying to send the principal a note asking them if they would appreciate you dropping off an resume. Of course you still need to fill out everything for the district office and some principals actually prefer the electronic system but since the site does not always work correctly it might be smart to drop off your resume or even have a friend stop by the schools you most want to work at...

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisontastic View Post
Hello,

I am currently a special education teacher in St. Louis. Previously I completed an urban teacher residency in CPS, obtained my master's degree in special education, and have endorsements in Elementary Ed (K-9), LBSI and LBSII (the two main types of Illinois special ed endorsements). I would like to move back to Chicago and teach special education in CPS for next school year. It seems like CPS generally hires extremely late in the game and I know there have been a ton of school closings, thus displaced teachers. I'm wondering if someone with knowledge of the special ed job outlook in CPS could speak to the following questions:

2. Will listing an out of state address hurt me? Should I list a Chicago friend's address instead?
4. Should I try to make a trip off to drop off resumes in person, or does it not matter?

Old 10-07-2013, 07:17 PM

2 posts, read 5,491 times
Thanks for the advice, Chet!

Old 10-09-2013, 03:04 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,604,058 times
Quote:
Thanks for the advice, Chet!
You'll figure this out if you hang out around here long enough, but there is a mammoth gap between what Chet claims to know and what he actually knows, on a very wide range of topics. I would take all of that with a grain of salt and talk to some actual CPS teachers (hopefully some will respond to this thread), or at the very least some city of Chicago residents.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:32 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,888,960 times
Quote:
Hello,

The system has changed a lot since I was teaching, but I'm guessing the general rule still applies, in that CPS tends to have high turnover in the special ed ranks.

Can't hurt to drop off resumes, ask to meet the principals in person, etc. It shows initiative, and I do think Chet is correct that at the end of the day it is the principals who have the hiring power.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:42 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,421,872 times
Default Anything to back this up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
You'll figure this out if you hang out around here long enough, but there is a mammoth gap between what Chet claims to know and what he actually knows, on a very wide range of topics. I would take all of that with a grain of salt and talk to some actual CPS teachers (hopefully some will respond to this thread), or at the very least some city of Chicago residents.

The above post is typical of the kind of unwelcome visitor that some online forums take pains to ban.

I would suggest that the OP weigh all advice received from all sources including the CPS offical channels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago