Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2009, 01:44 PM
fnp fnp started this thread

1 posts, read 7,670 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am wondering if anyone has gone through the override for the CPS residency and how hard it is to do so. I am looking to live in the suburbs and my content area, math, is one of the special needs areas so it eligible for an override. I am just wondering what this process is like... if it is even worth trying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 03:52 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
I would not pin too much hope on such a waiver being acted on promptly -- the cutbacks at central office are going to leave a lot of people with bad attitudes and even more burdensome work loads.

The odds of someone getting this done, even with a very cooperative principal in your corner are slim: Residency Requirement

Old 06-25-2009, 04:31 PM

5 posts, read 16,668 times
I'm facing a similar situation, but I'm not in a specific special needs area....but I'm way over qualified and can teach 2 high-demand areas, but no one is budging. I'd agree with chet everett on not counting on anything....with the economy the way it is, too, they would fill the position with someone else, most likely, since the Burbs are absolutely overloaded with applicants, even for math.

Also, I looked up the "residency requirement" link chet referenced....check this: "The Board reserves the right to assign teachers receiving residency waivers to schools or programs with vacancies in the teachers' areas of certification." This means, you could receive a waiver...live in the Burbs, everything is fine....then one year in the future, the Board can move/transfer you to a school you have no interest in teaching in, i.e. someone wants to get someone (friend/relative) into the school you first started at and wanted to teach in....the Board can miraculously transfer you b/c you are on a residency waiver. This is NOT good. I've been in public educ for about 10 years.... I've heard of tons of shady moves going on, so don't count anything out.

If you are young in your teaching career and don't mind the risk and really want to try it, you would have the option of doing it and then if something goes wrong, with a math certification, get a different job later on.

btw, how does CPS check where you actually live vs. just using someone's address in the City. Do they do random house visits, follow you home?

Good luck!

Old 06-25-2009, 08:13 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Yes, the CPS bloated central office does include a few jambones assigned to literally drive a BOE car to the houses listed as addresses of teachers that some one has raised a question as to their residency. The "investigator" then will typically try to evidence that either confirms the address as their residence or refutes it.

I suspect they spend a lot time running errands for aldermen too...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago