Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 06:40 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,867,648 times

Advertisements

The Cubs and because Chicagoan's know that there are many other Chicagoans there already and they like to be amongst other Chicagoans and reminisce about Chicago. Just like how Chicago has the largest population of Polish people outside of Poland. If you're going to move from Poland to the US, this is the place to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2007, 06:50 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,089,265 times
Lisa -- hehe. That reminds me of a story my friend told about traveling Europe and in saying she was from Chicago, most places she went she heard the standard questions about America and Chicago, when she got to Poland, the question she would hear most often was along the lines of "oh, you are from Chicago? Do you know my cousin Krzysztof"

Old 11-23-2007, 12:01 PM

463 posts, read 647,177 times
Everyone I knew who moved to AZ was elderly and borderline senile.

Old 11-25-2007, 04:08 PM

300 posts, read 952,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1976 View Post
I am in Phoenix. Born and raised. I was just wondering why so many people from Chicago move here? It seems like they must teach it in grade school to the kids to move to Phoenix. I guess I would specifically like to know why not Nevada, Utah, or New Mexico?
Reasons I moved to Phoenix because its warm, sun shine, its affordable, it was one of the fastest growing cities in the US, job market, etc.

I don't think those other states offer some of the things Phoenix offers.

Old 11-25-2007, 05:08 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
I am in Phoenix. Born and raised. I was just wondering why so many people from Chicago move here? It seems like they must teach it in grade school to the kids to move to Phoenix. I guess I would specifically like to know why not Nevada, Utah, or New Mexico?
They move to Nevada too. Because, for the most part, they want out of the cold. However I will point out that the Chicago area is one of the few in the ice belt to actually add population.

Old 11-25-2007, 09:24 PM

60 posts, read 173,214 times
Good question.

I've lived in Metro Chicago since I was 5 (I turn 21 next month) and I started to notice this phenomenon towards the end of high school.

The other "destination state" out west is Colorado...I can't stand either AZ or CO.

Why don't more Chicagolanders move to WA or OR? Don't tell me we're cheapskates afflicted with SAD. XD

Old 11-26-2007, 08:21 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Ive known lots of people who moved to AZ, all but 3 have come back. Theyre lured by the sunshine/warm weather and cheaper COL, but then are turned off by AZ in a few years by too much heat/sun, and lack of culture and big-city living. AZ is a place to vacation in, not live, IMO.

Old 11-27-2007, 01:43 AM

15 posts, read 54,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Ive known lots of people who moved to AZ, all but 3 have come back. Theyre lured by the sunshine/warm weather and cheaper COL, but then are turned off by AZ in a few years by too much heat/sun, and lack of culture and big-city living. AZ is a place to vacation in, not live, IMO.
No offense but I wish they would all move back. The traffic, uban sprawl, pollution, and those annoying Cubs fans have made a once decent place to live crowded and polluted. Being a third generation Phoenicain growing up I thought people always looked down on Phx. But I read somewhere that since the year 2000 to the current year 300+ poeople have moved to the Phoenix metro area everyday.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:46 AM

300 posts, read 952,390 times
Quote:
No offense but I wish they would all move back. The traffic, uban sprawl, pollution, and those annoying Cubs fans have made a once decent place to live crowded and polluted. Being a third generation Phoenicain growing up I thought people always looked down on Phx. But I read somewhere that since the year 2000 to the current year 300+ poeople have moved to the Phoenix metro area everyday.

Maybe you should move out of Phoenix and see why people are moving. Or you could end up loving moving out of Phoenix!

Old 11-27-2007, 08:51 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
Dont worry, sooner or later PHX will shrivel up, not able to sustain due to water issues and you'll ALL have to move.

And dont start on the Chicago's fans. At least our fans are loyal and we can fill our stadiums year round, unlike the bandwagoners that make up the majority of Phoenix's "fans".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago