Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2013, 06:20 PM

180 posts, read 378,428 times

Advertisements

I just got hired for a position right across the river from Ping Tom Park; adjacent to the metra rail yards on West 18th street. My budget is $650-$1050 and I'm looking for a studio in a decent neighborhood. EDIT: company parking provided.

There is an exit from the Dan Ryan right next to the company so it gives me quite a bit of flexibility if I decide to go the car route(old POS just died) for a commute. I like walking, biking, or even motorcycling to work preferably but it ain't a deal breaker.

I never ran across any Chinatown apartments listed on-line; I'd really like to live there if it's fun for a young guy since I was an expat in a few Asian countries. I still do wholesale business with China so unless the area is a tourist trap with no fun for locals I'd be down for it.

Background:

- late 20s guy: I like nightlife but I don't need it badly next door
- I dislike long commuters(30-40+ minutes)
- Decent art community nearby would be great; I worked professionally as an artist before and still do it part time(photo, video).
- I'm fairly new in I.T. so an area where the tech people hang out/live would be great
- Prefer a place with younger people rather than families
-Crime sucks but I don't need perfect safety: just no gun battles outside my windows.

Questions:

Is it worth to get a car now? The company offers free parking onsite too.

How is crime in Bridgeport and Amour Square? I see some decent rents in those areas.

What about south loop area for crime?

I'm making decent money; is it worth splurging more on those fancier loop high rise apartment? They're usually $1400+ for a studio...any shot at getting one closer to $1000 or a near loop high rise?

Last edited by minos16; 11-19-2013 at 07:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 07:04 PM

3,697 posts, read 5,001,481 times
How much it is worth it to get a car depends on two factors where you work and where you live. In terms of where you work is there a place to park the car? In terms of where you live some areas(most areas are easy to have a car in) but the hot northside neigborhoods and downtown can be hard due to limited parking and high costs for parking spaces.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:22 PM

180 posts, read 378,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
How much it is worth it to get a car depends on two factors where you work and where you live. In terms of where you work is there a place to park the car? In terms of where you live some areas(most areas are easy to have a car in) but the hot northside neigborhoods and downtown can be hard due to limited parking and high costs for parking spaces.

Place to park car in fenced lot at work.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:39 PM

3,697 posts, read 5,001,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minos16 View Post
Place to park car in fenced lot at work.
The all you need to worry about is if parking isn't too hard to get/expensive where you live.

Old 11-20-2013, 02:12 AM

367 posts, read 673,422 times
pilsen seems like a good fit. it's just west of chinatown. you could drive and be there in 5 minutes or take the cermak bus.

it's a gentrifying mexican neighborhood. loads of good food, art, and the nightlife is decent and improving. it's a totally different lifestyle than living in a river north or even south loop high rise/condo though.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:23 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
I am not generally a fan of Pilsen but the OP should check it out becuase ease of commute makes it hard to resist.

I would probably also look for stuff near Bridgeport and south of UIC so that you could take advantage of easy commute via surface streets.

I doubt the OP is going to want to rely on public transit in the more industrial areas near the river, when it snows or even rains those areas are a sloppy mess unlike the well shoveled / clean sidewalks of the Loop.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:09 PM

615 posts, read 1,382,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minos16 View Post
I just got hired for a position right across the river from Ping Tom Park; adjacent to the metra rail yards on West 18th street. My budget is $650-$1050 and I'm looking for a studio in a decent neighborhood. EDIT: company parking provided.

There is an exit from the Dan Ryan right next to the company so it gives me quite a bit of flexibility if I decide to go the car route(old POS just died) for a commute. I like walking, biking, or even motorcycling to work preferably but it ain't a deal breaker.

I never ran across any Chinatown apartments listed on-line; I'd really like to live there if it's fun for a young guy since I was an expat in a few Asian countries. I still do wholesale business with China so unless the area is a tourist trap with no fun for locals I'd be down for it.

Background:

- late 20s guy: I like nightlife but I don't need it badly next door
- I dislike long commuters(30-40+ minutes)
- Decent art community nearby would be great; I worked professionally as an artist before and still do it part time(photo, video).
- I'm fairly new in I.T. so an area where the tech people hang out/live would be great
- Prefer a place with younger people rather than families
-Crime sucks but I don't need perfect safety: just no gun battles outside my windows.

Questions:

Is it worth to get a car now? The company offers free parking onsite too.

How is crime in Bridgeport and Amour Square? I see some decent rents in those areas.

What about south loop area for crime?

I'm making decent money; is it worth splurging more on those fancier loop high rise apartment? They're usually $1400+ for a studio...any shot at getting one closer to $1000 or a near loop high rise?
I am very familiar with that area. Bridgeport is very safe. Pilsen can get very shady once you start heading too far west. Pilsen is also very artist friend as they have a lot of art galleries there. I think you will like Pilsen very much.

You are in your late twenties and you are just getting started in IT? What exactly will you be doing, and what were you doing before?

What kind of wholesale business do you do with China?

Old 11-21-2013, 09:52 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,283,601 times
I don't drive much but I think you could live in any of the more popular transplant neighborhoods and beat your commute threshold. Hell you could beat it on a bicycle from many locations.

Chinatown is very much an immigrant community, so if you desire to live among Chinese immigrants, that's your spot.

The overwhelming number of transplants don't relocate to Chinatown or even Bridgeport.

That's a relatively tight budget for one of the more popular neighborhoods but wherever you decide to live, look around, and you will find stuff.

What I'm saying is it pretty much depends on your personality type. Bridgeport/Armour Square is still overwhelmingly an old residential neighborhood. Chinatown is Chinese immigrants. That's totally different than, say, the South Loop, which is mostly white transplants.

I don't know the statistics but I would guess the overwhelming number of new moves to the city these days wind up in Lakeview, downtown, Wicker Park, Logan Square, Lincoln Park, Ukrainian Village and to a slightly lesser extent Andersonville, Ravenswood and Edgewater. Then maybe Pilsen.

So it's really just what kind of experience you are looking for.

Old 11-21-2013, 12:56 PM

40 posts, read 128,724 times
I would look in Armour Square, especially around 26th st. to 33rd. You will find decent rent, low crime IMO, close proximity to the Dan Ryan and the redline.

If you want to experience the nightlife, you can head downtown or father north via the redline and cab it back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: