Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 03:14 PM

13 posts, read 21,821 times

Advertisements

^^^^
I guess so.
Anyway, very courteous. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 09:53 PM

436 posts, read 1,348,382 times
If the weather is iffy, I'd trust the blue line over a cab. Traffic may be a mess and on days where the weather isn't great or wasn't great the day before, it's more difficult to get a cab though not as bad downtown. That said, cabs are pricey. I'd estimate $40 from the airport to downtown before tip. Before I lived here, the blue line was my default for any travel downtown. Very easy trip. It's a 40 minute ride to the Loop.

I booked a room at the Hilton Garden Inn on 12/23 to spend a little time downtown around Christmas. I think my room is around $90 before tax. There may be other places that are slightly less expensive. There are a ton of hotels downtown and there won't be a lot of business travelers the week of Christmas. Or try Priceline, Expedia, etc.

Chicago is a beautiful place to visit for Christmas. You can definitely get a good sample of town from late afternoon through the evening. Enjoy!

Old 12-05-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziebeth View Post
If the weather is iffy, I'd trust the blue line over a cab. Traffic may be a mess and on days where the weather isn't great or wasn't great the day before, it's more difficult to get a cab though not as bad downtown. That said, cabs are pricey. I'd estimate $40 from the airport to downtown before tip. Before I lived here, the blue line was my default for any travel downtown. Very easy trip. It's a 40 minute ride to the Loop.

I booked a room at the Hilton Garden Inn on 12/23 to spend a little time downtown around Christmas. I think my room is around $90 before tax. There may be other places that are slightly less expensive. There are a ton of hotels downtown and there won't be a lot of business travelers the week of Christmas. Or try Priceline, Expedia, etc.

Chicago is a beautiful place to visit for Christmas. You can definitely get a good sample of town from late afternoon through the evening. Enjoy!
Thank you.

Another question: Say I want to eat something at a place that isn't too expensive (or just affordable for someone being on a budget) where do I find that?

Old 12-05-2013, 03:04 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Depends on what you mean -- Chicago is known for having an abundance of "affordable" places to grab a anything from a a delicous all beef hotdogs dressed with tomatoes, onions, hot peppers, neon green relish, a pickle spear, mustard and celery salt along with a pile of freshly cut french fries for under $5 to a massive bowl of beefy pho for about the same to all kinds of small plates at many newer "gastro pubs" for not much more, the difficulty is determining which of these are closest to where you are visiting...

Old 12-05-2013, 04:36 PM

And I believe the good hosts of this forum have smart phone app designed to do exactly that.

(Of course there are other apps too...)

Old 12-07-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Depends on what you mean -- Chicago is known for having an abundance of "affordable" places to grab a anything from a a delicous all beef hotdogs dressed with tomatoes, onions, hot peppers, neon green relish, a pickle spear, mustard and celery salt along with a pile of freshly cut french fries for under $5 to a massive bowl of beefy pho for about the same to all kinds of small plates at many newer "gastro pubs" for not much more, the difficulty is determining which of these are closest to where you are visiting...
I see. That sounds good.
I still haven't decided where to go exactly.

When does it get dark in december?

Old 12-07-2013, 10:40 AM

We are not that far north but we are on the eastern edge of the central time zone...

Sunrise and Sunset for U.S.A. – Illinois – Chicago – January 2013

Old 12-08-2013, 10:47 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziebeth View Post
If the weather is iffy, I'd trust the blue line over a cab. Traffic may be a mess and on days where the weather isn't great or wasn't great the day before, it's more difficult to get a cab though not as bad downtown.
As an almost everyday CTA train rider, I disagree. The trains are pretty on schedule even in less than optimal weather. The only times they get bad is when a tree falls on the tracks somewhere, which doesn't happen very much (maybe a few times a year at most). The only time I've legitimately seen the weather delay the train was once maybe 3 years ago when it was so cold (way below normal, in the negatives) that it screwed up a few relay stations in the Loop and things were running very slowly for a few hours. Otherwise, it's never even a thought that the CTA is going to be screwed up due to a little snow.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:49 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
And I believe the good hosts of this forum have smart phone app designed to do exactly that.

(Of course there are other apps too...)
I made a smart phone CTA tracker, though I'm not going to post a link on here, but it's out there and free The CTA does have an app, but it's very basic. There's apps out there with better user experience than it - a lot of the apps kind of require you to know the name of the stop you're looking to go from which if you're unfamiliar with an area doesn't always work well if you aren't already at the stop or don't know the name of it.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:38 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,763 times
Blue line overhaul.

O'Hare Blue Line to stay open during 4-year renovation - chicagotribune.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago