Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 07:27 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,982,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Race has nothing to do with except when small or farm town whites come to Chicago and feed money to the black guys because they don't want to be thought of as being prejudiced.
This is a sincere question. Do White visitors actually think like this???

For the heroin issue with the sock and water sellers, I see them as hustlers not beggers definatly not homeless. Heroin use is wide spread especially in Chicago. If you don't believe me people watch at the Lake street redline station. Watch how strange many yuppies act just doing daily things. Better yet observe the party people in Wrigleyville, Boystown and other entertainment areas in the city. When you buy certain things from their company you're supporting an addict. What's the difference between them and the sock hussler? I usually think of it as helping someone who is being entrepreneurial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 07:59 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,890,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post

Yes. And that would be because - some - black panhandlers throw out the race card. Quite obnoxiously and in a very hostile and aggressive manner. It's happens to me about every other year, so there is no doubt in my mind some fresh off the boat naive Midwesterner is blood in the waterwhen he/she is working their first job downtown.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Yes. And that would be because - some - black panhandlers throw out the race card. Quite obnoxiously and in a very hostile and aggressive manner. It's happens to me about every other year, so there is no doubt in my mind some fresh off the boat naive Midwesterner is blood in the waterwhen he/she is working their first job downtown.
I've seen the race-card get thrown out many times and I've never seen it work like the hungry-card. If anything people laugh and look at them like they are crazy. I'm generally writing about visitors not transplants.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:07 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,448,891 times
I never give them money and just respond with "No, sorry" confidently enough that they know they won't get any money from me.

Ignoring them is a very bad idea, because you don't know which of the bums out there might feel disrespected by your cold shoulder and be willing to do something about it.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
I never give them money and just respond with "No, sorry" confidently enough that they know they won't get any money from me.
That works for me. No further explanation needed! They usually leave me alone.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:43 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,964,026 times
I was walking to the Blue line after work today, maybe around 630pm. There was a very visible asian tourist talking with a homeless guy. I'm assuming the homeless guy was trying to trade a CTA pass (probably with $0 on it) for some cash. The asian guy had his wallet wide open with a wad of cash inside while talking to the other guy. I was just shaking my head hoping that he didnt steal it while I was walking by as I would feel obligated to help get it back. I thought about stepping in and saying something, but obviously not my place. Heck, for all I know he may have just got hooked up on CTA fare.

Morale of the story is thats not how to deal with panhandlers

Old 12-18-2013, 08:58 PM

115 posts, read 103,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete6032 View Post
Do you respond when they talk directly to you or do you just ignore them completely? Most of them I just say "no, sorry." and they leave me alone but tonight this one must have been certain that I was a free human ATM and if I gave her 5 minutes to explain her circumstances that I would change my mind and give her money. Is it rude to ignore completely?

This was my first time riding the blue line in the weekend and I was asked multiple times for money or cigarettes. One guy got on in the same car and finished his cigarette on board and then threw it in the floor of the train car and spent the next 10 minutes spitting out his phlegm on the floor before getting off. Is this typical cta weekend stuff?
That is the very reason why I try not to ride the blue line. It is almost the scummiest and dangerous. always ride the first car with the motorman. If you can take Metra. I usually tell them that I am broke and I need help. I make donations to red cross, united way, the food depository and donate clothing and such to local charities. That way I don't feel bad about saying no. I know that these places will help provide many items to the homeless. One year I bought a turkey and then my job gave me a turkey. So I donated the smaller bird to a local shelter.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:01 PM

115 posts, read 103,429 times
Default That gave me the chills

Quote:
Originally Posted by long101 View Post
I was walking to the Blue line after work today, maybe around 630pm. There was a very visible asian tourist talking with a homeless guy. I'm assuming the homeless guy was trying to trade a CTA pass (probably with $0 on it) for some cash. The asian guy had his wallet wide open with a wad of cash inside while talking to the other guy. I was just shaking my head hoping that he didnt steal it while I was walking by as I would feel obligated to help get it back. I thought about stepping in and saying something, but obviously not my place. Heck, for all I know he may have just got hooked up on CTA fare.

Morale of the story is thats not how to deal with panhandlers
That is a crime waiting to happen. Sometimes one will ask you for money, just to see if you have any and will pull out your wallet. Then their partner will help rob you. You really have to be careful in the big city. I hope the Asian guy survived.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:54 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,219,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
For the heroin issue with the sock and water sellers, I see them as hustlers not beggers definatly not homeless. Heroin use is wide spread especially in Chicago. If you don't believe me people watch at the Lake street redline station. Watch how strange many yuppies act just doing daily things. Better yet observe the party people in Wrigleyville, Boystown and other entertainment areas in the city. When you buy certain things from their company you're supporting an addict. What's the difference between them and the sock hussler? I usually think of it as helping someone who is being entrepreneurial.
Haha, no. I'm from Iowa, born and raised and my family and friends have visited many times. People might be caught off guard because there just aren't really homeless or any population of people begging in Iowa, but it's not a race thing. I suppose there are some straight up farm people or very small town people who visit, but honestly a vast majority of those who visit are still those 60% of the population, at least for Iowa, who live in a metro area. Farmers and the rural population are much less apt to travel to Chicago than the urban population. It might not be anywhere near as diverse in Iowa for demographics or economics, but people aren't that ignorant and it's not the 1950's. Going back to Iowa and being in suburban Chicago are honestly pretty similar except obviously for the obvious size and cultural offerings (mostly in the city). The standards of living, technology and knowledge base is similar. I grew up in Iowa City with a 1,000,000 square foot mall about a mile away from our house. I realized soon after moving that this country kinda sucks with the same damn stores over and over and over wherever you are. I don't see anyone in DuPage or Lake county having that much more experience with diversity on a daily basis as my family in Iowa City. I'm talking economic diversity, because in both areas I haven't noticed anyone caring about your skin color. The real difference in our society is with income disparity and pockets of extreme poverty and wealth. My friends from Iowa who moved to Naperville picked everything up without a beat. The differences in traffic and aggressive driving was really the only big change for the most part.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Haha, no. I'm from Iowa, born and raised and my family and friends have visited many times. People might be caught off guard because there just aren't really homeless or any population of people begging in Iowa, but it's not a race thing. I suppose there are some straight up farm people or very small town people who visit, but honestly a vast majority of those who visit are still those 60% of the population, at least for Iowa, who live in a metro area. Farmers and the rural population are much less apt to travel to Chicago than the urban population. It might not be anywhere near as diverse in Iowa for demographics or economics, but people aren't that ignorant and it's not the 1950's. Going back to Iowa and being in suburban Chicago are honestly pretty similar except obviously for the obvious size and cultural offerings (mostly in the city). The standards of living, technology and knowledge base is similar. I grew up in Iowa City with a 1,000,000 square foot mall about a mile away from our house. I realized soon after moving that this country kinda sucks with the same damn stores over and over and over wherever you are. I don't see anyone in DuPage or Lake county having that much more experience with diversity on a daily basis as my family in Iowa City. I'm talking economic diversity, because in both areas I haven't noticed anyone caring about your skin color. The real difference in our society is with income disparity and pockets of extreme poverty and wealth. My friends from Iowa who moved to Naperville picked everything up without a beat. The differences in traffic and aggressive driving was really the only big change for the most part.
You gave me the answer I was looking for.

Chicago is very Midwestern and I wouldn't believe there was that big of a difference to the point where people would be that scared of Black people in the city. With technology and the overall way we live today there are sophisticated people everywhere. I have relatives in small town Tennessee who are more sophisticated than most Chicagoans.

Chicago is only as sophisticated and as enlightened as the individual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago