Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 11:01 AM

14 posts, read 43,695 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody.
Do you know any documentaries on these/other famous projects in Chicago?
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 11:05 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
Youtube always has these, or just even amateur semi informative videos. I know there's an episode of Gangland on Youtube for Cabrini Green.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I know there's an episode of Gangland on Youtube for Cabrini Green.
Yeah! That's from where my interest came from

Old 01-04-2014, 11:14 AM

Yeah, even if you YouTube it, you can find amateur videos of people and still learn stuff. You've made me start rewatching the Gangland episode. Ridiculous the stuff that went on there..

Old 01-04-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Yeah, even if you YouTube it, you can find amateur videos of people and still learn stuff. You've made me start rewatching the Gangland episode. Ridiculous the stuff that went on there..
Here's the name: Gangster City.

Last edited by Beretta; 02-05-2014 at 05:26 AM.. Reason: per request

Old 01-04-2014, 05:42 PM

498 posts, read 724,970 times
I have some questions about Cabrini-Green. How many people still live in the rowhouses, and is the area where the rowhouses are considered dangerous? What are the development plans for the area where the high-rises used to be? Is the land still owned by the city? Do they have plans to sell the land?

Old 01-04-2014, 06:30 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,986,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freefall18 View Post
I have some questions about Cabrini-Green. How many people still live in the rowhouses, and is the area where the rowhouses are considered dangerous? What are the development plans for the area where the high-rises used to be? Is the land still owned by the city? Do they have plans to sell the land?
I did some research after residing in the Gold Coast for sometime after wondering why a large proportion of AA's were homeless/poor, especially being an AA in this neighborhood. It bothered me a little and I wanted to know what was going on. That's when I found out about Cabrini Green. Rather, I expressed my sentiments to a friend and they shared with me the history of my neighborhood, leaving me wanting to learn more. I believe there is only one building left in the Cabrini-Green housing development, which is unoccupied. The other land has been used for development and industrializing the area. Hmmm, I believe a Target store has been built in the area, which I visited recently. And there were some mixed income town homes also thrown into the mix. I believe a small number of actual residents actually occupies these townhomes though. This is all I know, but please chime in if some of this information is incorrect.

modcut

Last edited by Beretta; 02-05-2014 at 05:28 AM.. Reason: quoted post was edited making your post irrelevant

Old 01-04-2014, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
I did some research after residing in the Gold Coast for sometime after wondering why a large proportion of AA's were homeless/poor, especially being an AA in this neighborhood. It bothered me a little and I wanted to know what was going on. That's when I found out about Cabrini Green. Rather, I expressed my sentiments to a friend and they shared with me the history of my neighborhood, leaving me wanting to learn more. I believe there is only one building left in the Cabrini-Green housing development, which is unoccupied. The other land has been used for development and industrializing the area. Hmmm, I believe a Target store has been built in the area, which I visited recently. And there were some mixed income town homes also thrown into the mix. I believe a small number of actual residents actually occupies these townhomes though. This is all I know, but please chime in if some of this information is incorrect.
I think all the high rises have been torn down, but I could be wrong. If there is one left, it's definitely been unoccupied for 2+ years. I first moved to the neighborhood in 2009 and there wasn't really much left. I think there's like 100-200 people living in the row homes now and I think the city is indirectly trying to root them out. They said they would renovate them, but they haven't yet and the residents are pissed (rightfully so). Crime has really come down and while there's the occasional homicide there, I think it severely pales in comparison as to what used to go on.

The area there around there used to be called Little Hell, and there was Little Sicily, which I believe was a **** hole too and was one of the reasons the brown line stop at Division and Orleans closed back in the 40s - low lives and thieves from Little Sicily doing their stuff to people at the stop (something like that). I think when CG was built, there were still Sicilians in the area, and apparently a bunch refused to leave even when **** went from OK to bad at Cabrini Green.

The new target on Division is pretty much in that area. New, nice development is now creeping in there around Orleans.

* Currently a real nice 23 unit, 6 story expensive building being built at Chestnut & Franklin (This is What 858 North Franklin Will Look Like - Rendering Reveal - Curbed Chicago)
* Jesse White Field House currently under construction on Chicago Ave between Hudson and Sedgwick
* Expensive 8 unit condo building just east of the new Target on Division.
* 47 expensive townhomes will start construction in fall at Cleveland & Oak right next to the row homes, formerly where a CG school was and was torn down (http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...le-of-the-year)
* 35 story residential building supposed to start construction this summer at the SW corner of Orleans & Chestnut infront of Le Cordon Bleu. This has not hit the news yet.
* There's also a proposal for a new 20+ story high rise right near the new target on Division and I've heard it's very possible it could be built.

There's also a night club on Orleans near Locust that is nice inside (but apparently sucks - Bodi. The place Justin Bieber was caught underage drinking at) and some good known restaurants in the area, but also some good unknown ethnic food (mainly central asian and indian/pakistani) there too now. I would not be surprised to see this area exploding with even more development in the next 5 years.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:33 AM

145 posts, read 388,329 times
You could spend all day on Youtube with the number of videos they have on there. Some really good stuff, amateur and pro stuff alike

Old 01-05-2014, 11:24 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,986,842 times
Quote:
I think all the high rises have been torn down, but I could be wrong. If there is one left, it's definitely been unoccupied for 2+ years. I first moved to the neighborhood in 2009 and there wasn't really much left. I think there's like 100-200 people living in the row homes now and I think the city is indirectly trying to root them out. They said they would renovate them, but they haven't yet and the residents are pissed (rightfully so). Crime has really come down and while there's the occasional homicide there, I think it severely pales in comparison as to what used to go on.

The area there around there used to be called Little Hell, and there was Little Sicily, which I believe was a **** hole too and was one of the reasons the brown line stop at Division and Orleans closed back in the 40s - low lives and thieves from Little Sicily doing their stuff to people at the stop (something like that). I think when CG was built, there were still Sicilians in the area, and apparently a bunch refused to leave even when **** went from OK to bad at Cabrini Green.

The new target on Division is pretty much in that area. New, nice development is now creeping in there around Orleans.

* Currently a real nice 23 unit, 6 story expensive building being built at Chestnut & Franklin (This is What 858 North Franklin Will Look Like - Rendering Reveal - Curbed Chicago)
* Jesse White Field House currently under construction on Chicago Ave between Hudson and Sedgwick
* Expensive 8 unit condo building just east of the new Target on Division.
* 47 expensive townhomes will start construction in fall at Cleveland & Oak right next to the row homes, formerly where a CG school was and was torn down (http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...le-of-the-year)
* 35 story residential building supposed to start construction this summer at the SW corner of Orleans & Chestnut infront of Le Cordon Bleu. This has not hit the news yet.
* There's also a proposal for a new 20+ story high rise right near the new target on Division and I've heard it's very possible it could be built.

There's also a night club on Orleans near Locust that is nice inside (but apparently sucks - Bodi. The place Justin Bieber was caught underage drinking at) and some good known restaurants in the area, but also some good unknown ethnic food (mainly central asian and indian/pakistani) there too now. I would not be surprised to see this area exploding with even more development in the next 5 years.
I do remember reading about Little Hell, but I did not know that a small minority of Sicilian immigrants remained in Cabrini-Green. Very interesting. I thought ALL had moved out once a new demographic wave moved in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago