Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 05:54 PM

87 posts, read 309,004 times

Advertisements

Does Cabrini Green still exist to any extent whatsoever, or is it pretty much all vacant lots or projects that look like the posh, modern-day projects?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 06:07 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
The last Cabrini tower was torn down a few years ago, though it had been vacant for a while. The row homes are still there though even those were vacated last year. CHA has replaced maybe 25% of the units that are gone with new construction units. There was never any intent to fully replace the demolished public housing units. Most of the new stuff built on the old Cabrini CHA land is market rate and affordable (set aside for people making 60% of area median income) not public housing units.

Sorry, the short answer is no.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:56 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,440,415 times
The answer is yes. The Cabrini rowhomes at Chicago and Larrabee are still there though at like ~30% occupancy. They probably won't be around much longer.

The project sites and the surrounding area have been the black North Side for almost a century. Gentrification and CHA demolition have shrunken the community substantially but there are still some relics of churches and community buildings near the Green towers site that look pretty damn out of place now. There is still low-income housing scattered around, particularly at Sedgwick and Evergreen. It's an interesting area.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:21 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,276,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
The answer is yes. The Cabrini rowhomes at Chicago and Larrabee are still there though at like ~30% occupancy. They probably won't be around much longer.

The project sites and the surrounding area have been the black North Side for almost a century. Gentrification and CHA demolition have shrunken the community substantially but there are still some relics of churches and community buildings near the Green towers site that look pretty damn out of place now. There is still low-income housing scattered around, particularly at Sedgwick and Evergreen. It's an interesting area.
It was Siciilian until the late 40s.

That area was Sicilian.it only became black with the projects.

Prior to the Sicilians it was Irish and called Kilgubbin, at least Goose Island was.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:59 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
There are still row houses with some people living in them, but I know some are moving out. I think they're fed up and looking to move to other states like Iowa. The city/CHA basically promised their row homes would be renovated, and they haven't been yet so they're upset. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a tactic to get them to move, honestly.

Old 06-14-2013, 12:10 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,276,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
There are still row houses with some people living in them, but I know some are moving out. I think they're fed up and looking to move to other states like Iowa. The city/CHA basically promised their row homes would be renovated, and they haven't been yet so they're upset. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a tactic to get them to move, honestly.
The people still there are in denial and think they won't have to move. They will. I'd say its 75 percent empty at this point. Still a fair amount of drug dealing and even violence but obviously nothing like it was. They'll all be gone in a couple years at most.

Old 06-14-2013, 12:56 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,677,707 times
Too much tax revenue for the city to pass up....

Old 06-14-2013, 04:50 AM

9,908 posts, read 9,579,736 times
I think the city is trying to remove Cabrini and instead put up apartments/condos that will serve the middle to upper middle class. The land is worth a lot of money. Slowly I expect it to change totally.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:20 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Apologies on my first post regarding the rowhomes being vacant. Last year the CHA vacated the non rehabbed units, there are still people living in some of the rowhomes, though CHA has said those days are numbered. The rowhomes will be demolished and replaced with mixed income new construction, again probably no more than 30% of the current public housing units will be replaced.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:46 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
For all intents and purposes, no, it's gone. Of course there are some row houses with some people, but that's not the "Cabrini" people are curious about when they look at the city from the outside. The mid/highrise projects are all gone. Some vacant lots, many new low/midrise buildings taking their place with retail following now. I believe Target either just broke ground or will very shortly on a new building covering one of the former sites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago