Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 02:16 AM

195 posts, read 214,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
Panhandlers, in particular aggressive ones, have carte blanche to terrorize in Chicago, and they are well aware of these freedoms. It's worse here than what I've seen in Portland, San Fran, New York, etc. Practically every corner in the loop, much of River North, some in the South Loop, all over the Red and Blue train lines, plus quite the assortment of gutter punks in Wicker Park and Logan Square - the criminals are everywhere
Even in Evanston the panhandlers are everywhere
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 11:12 AM

106 posts, read 112,372 times
cabrini green does not excist except for row homes not sure if that was part of cabrini green. I live on the north side but the first time I want to target and shopped where cabrini green was I was shocked. And now they have that mall with theatere by clyborne.

I felt awkward all rich whites live where cabrini green is and poor blacks are working in target and most service industries in the area and they have to take a bus from the south side to get to a min mum wage job.

There is also an historic church in cabrini green that will be toen down soon.

I just cant believe how much an area can change i drove along cabrini green and use to eat at a restaurant in the nineties behind moody institute and to come back 20 years later like I did it was just insane to see how much something can change.

Old 07-13-2017, 01:15 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,875,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southbound2017 View Post
cabrini green does not excist except for row homes not sure if that was part of cabrini green. I live on the north side but the first time I want to target and shopped where cabrini green was I was shocked. And now they have that mall with theatere by clyborne..
The rowhouses are part of Cabrini Green, even though most people don't think of them as such. The name is usually associated strictly with the Whites and the Reds, the two types of high-rises in the Cabrini Green complex. The Reds were the first to go, followed by the Whites. Chicago originally planned on keeping the rowhouses, but that has changed; they'll be vacated and torn down soon as well.

Old 07-13-2017, 01:59 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,932,078 times
For those interested in Cabrini Green, there is a Gangland episode on youtube about Cabrini Green. I found it interesting how they celebrate New Years eve, Cabrini Green style ...

Old 07-13-2017, 02:04 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,243,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
For those interested in Cabrini Green, there is a Gangland episode on youtube about Cabrini Green. I found it interesting how they celebrate New Years eve, Cabrini Green style ...
Me thinks somebody doesn't understand. CABRINI GREEN high-rise projects ARE GONE for years now. Though someone published this video on youtube last year. Its a OLD LOW DEFINITION VIDIO when the Projects existed.

Old 07-13-2017, 02:16 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,932,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Me thinks somebody doesn't understand. CABRINI GREEN high-rise projects ARE GONE for years now. Though someone published this video on youtube last year. Its a OLD LOW DEFINITION VIDIO when the Projects existed.
We should remember history in order not to make the same mistakes again like build high-rises in low income neighborhoods. The documentary provides great insight in what went wrong in the projects, why the authorities seemed unable to cope with the problems, and what the life of people living there was like, and what they did to make a living ...

Old 07-13-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
We should remember history in order not to make the same mistakes again like build high-rises in low income neighborhoods. The documentary provides great insight in what went wrong in the projects, why the authorities seemed unable to cope with the problems, and what the life of people living there was like, and what they did to make a living ...
NYC and other cities still have their projects. You might want to seek them. Chicago has current gangland crime to satisfy your interest as you like to interject in threads no on it....

But this thread on this former Projects sight and neighborhood still with the name. Suggest this notorious legacy in this location in crime is over. New high-end with a % of low-income housing is getting built.

What the Nation learned is high-rise style low-income housing became far more a BIG fail then not. Chicago chose to remove its Projects. Some suggest their criminals moved to neighborhoods that gang wars result in today.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:34 PM

106 posts, read 112,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Me thinks you forgot about the row houses take a stroll through the row houses that still exist and some are occupied.

You sure are confident making a false fact statement

Old 07-14-2017, 05:07 PM

195 posts, read 214,744 times
Quote:
cabrini green does not excist except for row homes not sure if that was part of cabrini green. I live on the north side but the first time I want to target and shopped where cabrini green was I was shocked. And now they have that mall with theatere by clyborne.

I felt awkward all rich whites live where cabrini green is and poor blacks are working in target and most service industries in the area and they have to take a bus from the south side to get to a min mum wage job.

There is also an historic church in cabrini green that will be toen down soon.

I just cant believe how much an area can change i drove along cabrini green and use to eat at a restaurant in the nineties behind moody institute and to come back 20 years later like I did it was just insane to see how much something can change.
That's most of the jobs in the city. Most of the jobs I have come across pay minimum wage to about 14 an hour. Most of the jobs here pay lousy.

Old 07-15-2017, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Me thinks you forgot about the row houses take a stroll through the row houses that still exist and some are occupied.

You sure are confident making a false fact statement
I clearly read the thread about townhouses still there and you can view youtube videos of them. Most boarded up. Note ...... in my post I wrote -- high-rises projects are gone. These remnant townhouses are by far mostly abandoned? Not all.

Why not state what amount are still occupied and the city's plans with them if most are unoccupied?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago