Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 09:49 AM

87 posts, read 309,328 times

Advertisements

With the sparsely-occupied row houses that are still there, is it a totally opposite story as far as being safe there than it was in, say, 1991 or is it actually still dangerous enough to garner a response of "Oh, no, I still wouldn't be caught dead walking by the row houses at 10:00 on Saturday night if I were you!"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 10:48 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,283,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tat2d Bald Dude View Post
With the sparsely-occupied row houses that are still there, is it a totally opposite story as far as being safe there than it was in, say, 1991 or is it actually still dangerous enough to garner a response of "Oh, no, I still wouldn't be caught dead walking by the row houses at 10:00 on Saturday night if I were you!"?
There is still a fair amount of drug dealing. The cops are parked outside often, they watch people come in and out and know why but apparently can't do a lot about it. At least that is what a guy I talked to once coming out of there told me. (I see the cops myself.)

Of the 20 homicides that have occurred on the Near North side since 2007, that is undoubtedly the hottest locust of homicides, with about half of them occurring at Cabrini.

You can walk by them down Chicago at all hours, but it is very sketchy late at night, and I go out of my way to avoid it usually, very late at night (like say 1AM on a Sunday), a bunch of people are just hanging out on the lawn in front of the entrance for no good reason. Same story down Oak. There is basically a giant fence, almost like a prison camp, along the west and eastern borders, so it's not the same.

One time about 10 years ago I drunkenly gave some of the winos hanging out at the liquor store on Larabee and Oak some money coming home from a party near 600 N. Chicago and turned east down Oak and they rose up in a giant chorus yelling "Don't walk that way!"

It's far safer now but if you walked down it real late at night by yourself, most people would still probably consider that fairly risky.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
There is still a fair amount of drug dealing. The cops are parked outside often, they watch people come in and out and know why but apparently can't do a lot about it. At least that is what a guy I talked to once coming out of there told me. (I see the cops myself.)

Of the 20 homicides that have occurred on the Near North side since 2007, that is undoubtedly the hottest locust of homicides, with about half of them occurring at Cabrini.

You can walk by them down Chicago at all hours, but it is very sketchy late at night, and I go out of my way to avoid it usually, very late at night (like say 1AM on a Sunday), a bunch of people are just hanging out on the lawn in front of the entrance for no good reason. Same story down Oak. There is basically a giant fence, almost like a prison camp, along the west and eastern borders, so it's not the same.

One time about 10 years ago I drunkenly gave some of the winos hanging out at the liquor store on Larabee and Oak some money coming home from a party near 600 N. Chicago and turned east down Oak and they rose up in a giant chorus yelling "Don't walk that way!"

It's far safer now but if you walked down it real late at night by yourself, most people would still probably consider that fairly risky.
It was still fully dangerous 10 years ago in 2003? I thought the danger around Cabrini Green pretty much came to a screeching halt around 1999 or 2000. Or at the very latest, when the towers were vacated. Haven't the main towers been gone quite a while? When was the last year that the Towers were still up and Cabrini Green was still very much in its' prime as being the most dangerous projects?

Old 06-14-2013, 02:02 PM

46 posts, read 71,663 times
Nope it does not exist. The former residents have moved south and are enjoying trashing the south suburbs

Old 06-14-2013, 02:33 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,929,208 times
The last tower was demolished in 2011. The towers were closed and vacated by 2008.

[vimeo]36320492[/vimeo]
Requiem for Cabrini-Green on Vimeo

The Last Tower | Harper's Magazine

Old 06-14-2013, 02:42 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,399,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
So are they building cases or what? What do they mean they can't do a lot about it? These people are committing real crimes yet they want to pull you over for "suspecting" you did something

Old 06-14-2013, 02:42 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,943,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNick View Post
Nope it does not exist. The former residents have moved south and are enjoying trashing the south suburbs
Yes, it does. The towers were demolished, but people still live in the row homes. Here you go. This is from one month ago:

Cabrini-Green residents sue CHA over renovated units | abc7chicago.com

Old 06-14-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Yes, it does. The towers were demolished, but people still live in the row homes. Here you go. This is from one month ago:

How close were these to, say, the red tower and white tower? And where are these even located? (Sorry, those questions may be one in the same).

Old 06-14-2013, 03:03 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,943,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tat2d Bald Dude View Post
How close were these to, say, the red tower and white tower? And where are these even located? (Sorry, those questions may be one in the same).
Not familiar with the towers, but if you go down Chicago avenue west towards 600 W Chicago, it's a little before that to the East, say between Hudson Ave and Cambridge Ave and a little north of Chicago Ave there and north to Oak Street.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:09 PM

46 posts, read 71,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post

The point is that as soon as the projects were torn down, crime dramatically increased in the southern suburbs and school test scores declined as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago