Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 08:03 PM

195 posts, read 214,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
Some bangers and their enablers moved to the Marshall Field Garden Apartments just south of the Sedgwick Brown line. Careful around there at night.
Really? That sucks. How close is that to that really cool 24 hour Starbucks they have out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 08:08 PM

106 posts, read 112,395 times
I drove down the main Street of the row houses to see what it looked like about a week ago you could tell people lived there it's almost like a gated entrance and there were a bunch of police in the middle I am not sure if they had a mini police station or what. Most of the residents I saw were older. A lot if the pan handlers you see could be coming from there.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southbound2017 View Post
I drove down the main Street of the row houses to see what it looked like about a week ago you could tell people lived there it's almost like a gated entrance and there were a bunch of police in the middle I am not sure if they had a mini police station or what. Most of the residents I saw were older. A lot if the pan handlers you see could be coming from there.
lol panhandlers are coming from everywhere here dude. I have never seen so many homeless in my life. This city takes the cake.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:16 PM

106 posts, read 112,395 times
Well Sam Diego and la has more homeless but a lot of Chicago homeless are borderline homeless like they live in a nursing home, homeless shelter, or low income housing and they all still panhandle. I use to work at a nursing home in uptown and a quarter of the residents would panhandle.

Old 07-11-2017, 02:30 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Lugo View Post
Really? That sucks. How close is that to that really cool 24 hour Starbucks they have out there?
It's about a half mile walk. Not really far, but not close enough to worry about stray bullets.

Old 07-11-2017, 06:40 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
Quote:
lol panhandlers are coming from everywhere here dude. I have never seen so many homeless in my life. This city takes the cake.
Have you been to SF? That city has the most homeless population downtown out of any major city in the US. Groups on every corner. The most aggressive panhandlers I've seen were in Baltimore.

Old 07-12-2017, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
It's about a half mile walk. Not really far, but not close enough to worry about stray bullets.
So if I get off the brown line on Sedgewick and go to that Starbucks on W North Ave and keep going down W North Ave in the same direction I am going to run into GD's in that direction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Have you been to SF? That city has the most homeless population downtown out of any major city in the US. Groups on every corner. The most aggressive panhandlers I've seen were in Baltimore.
I lived in San Francisco for a month. The cost of living there was absolutely insane but the city was physically beautiful.

Old 07-12-2017, 03:42 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
Quote:
So if I get off the brown line on Sedgewick and go to that Starbucks on W North Ave and keep going down W North Ave in the same direction I am going to run into GD's in that direction?

I lived in San Francisco for a month. The cost of living there was absolutely insane but the city was physically beautiful.
No. North Ave is fine. The only dicey stretch in that area is the stretch on Sedgewick St from the Sedgewick stop south going towards Division St. The Mashfield apartments are there, and there have been a few shootings over the years (one teen got shot and died last year). Although, when I first moved to Chicago, I was ignorant about that area (thinking it was Old Town so it couldn't really be that bad), and I walked through that area during the day and night since I went to church not far from there. I heard a lot of loud music and would see some people hanging out and being noisy, but never had any problems at all, day or night. It was only after the highly publicized shooting on TV where I started learning about the history of the area. So basically, I guess the area is a little sketchy, but nothing to be afraid of if you're street smart. I ignorantly went through that stretch all the time without trouble. I'm definitely a little more careful around there now if I have to be in that area, but during the day it would be nothing to worry about.

Old 07-12-2017, 12:46 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,580,658 times
Quote:
Panhandlers, in particular aggressive ones, have carte blanche to terrorize in Chicago, and they are well aware of these freedoms. It's worse here than what I've seen in Portland, San Fran, New York, etc. Practically every corner in the loop, much of River North, some in the South Loop, all over the Red and Blue train lines, plus quite the assortment of gutter punks in Wicker Park and Logan Square - the criminals are everywhere

Last edited by TBideon; 07-12-2017 at 12:55 PM..

Old 07-13-2017, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
No. North Ave is fine. The only dicey stretch in that area is the stretch on Sedgewick St from the Sedgewick stop south going towards Division St. The Mashfield apartments are there, and there have been a few shootings over the years (one teen got shot and died last year). Although, when I first moved to Chicago, I was ignorant about that area (thinking it was Old Town so it couldn't really be that bad), and I walked through that area during the day and night since I went to church not far from there. I heard a lot of loud music and would see some people hanging out and being noisy, but never had any problems at all, day or night. It was only after the highly publicized shooting on TV where I started learning about the history of the area. So basically, I guess the area is a little sketchy, but nothing to be afraid of if you're street smart. I ignorantly went through that stretch all the time without trouble. I'm definitely a little more careful around there now if I have to be in that area, but during the day it would be nothing to worry about.
Good to know
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago