Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 08:52 AM

3 posts, read 27,544 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, we are thinking of moving to a place near Sacramento and Kedzie, close to the Kedzie Green Line stop. When I checked out the neighborhood last night, it looked a little suspect-- empty lots, people wandering the streets, just kind of a shady looking area. But there were also some nice looking homes there. I am not a paranoid person; I want a neighborhood with some edge. I love diversity, I'm not into cookie cutter homes and people, so I don't want some yuppie area, that's why I am looking in places like this one. But I also want to make sure my son and I won't get shot, mugged, assaulted, etc. I don't want to walk through drug dealings every night or worry if I will be safe carrying in groceries at night. I am aware of my surroundings, I just want to know if I will constantly be concerned about my safety. Can anyone help me decide if this is an okay area to live in? I love the landlord and the house that I am thinking of moving into, so I don't want to give up on this place unless we won't be safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 09:57 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
Hmm, I don't know this area very well, but I've driven down Sacremento many times on my way to I-290. I always thought this area was highly suspect, it always seemed very shady and somewhat dangerous.

I would advise you move up north around Fullerton and Kedzie maybe, or anywhere northeast/north of there.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:38 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Sacramento and Kedzie are actually parallel; the section between the two along the Green Line is in a neighborhood called East Garfield Park. It's still a pretty rough area, but its location gives it a lot of potential for a turnaround. Some developers and urban pioneers are banking on that potential and trying to affect a turnaround. So far their success has been limited. If you are an urban pioneer type willing to take a risk, EGP is one of the better places to place your bet. If you'd rather be some place that is more "arrived" than "up-and-coming" then I'd steer clear of EGP for now.

This thread covers some good ground on EGP with varying opinions about it; most importantly, a few EGP residents chimed in with their thoughts. You might also want to post in that thread to "alert" those people that there is a new inquiry about the neighborhood.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:59 AM

358 posts, read 1,916,268 times
Most of the city *isn't* yuppie, and most of the city probably isn't as dangerous as that location, either. Just think about it... if real estate in Chicago is so valuable overall, why would there be empty lots there? ...

Old 11-28-2007, 12:02 PM

3 posts, read 27,544 times
I don't have enough income to move into the nicer areas, even if they aren't yuppie. I still want to feel safe though. I understand the Chicago real estate market, but a lot of people have taken a chance on areas like this and came out with a huge profit. I agree that up and coming might keep coming up or might never get there, but I am getting a lot of mixed feelings from my friends and co workers about this area.

Old 11-28-2007, 12:40 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
Based on what you said you are looking for in your OP, this is not the area for you. Why not try something like Albany Park on the Northwest side (try the Brown Line Kedzie stop)? It's still a bit dicey at times, but nothing like East Garfield Park! It's still a bit working class, but up-and-coming at the same time.

Old 11-28-2007, 12:47 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica_82 View Post
I don't have enough income to move into the nicer areas, even if they aren't yuppie. I still want to feel safe though. I understand the Chicago real estate market, but a lot of people have taken a chance on areas like this and came out with a huge profit. I agree that up and coming might keep coming up or might never get there, but I am getting a lot of mixed feelings from my friends and co workers about this area.
You sure about this? What is your combined rental and utilities budget, and how much space do you need?

Old 11-28-2007, 02:18 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,209,352 times
That area does not look safe. I've driven through there quite a few times, and it looks pretty grim. A quick check of the four block area on chicagocrime.org: Chicago crime database shows it to be pretty bad: an average of 4 or 5 arrests A DAY for narcotics, assaults, or burglaries. No place in the city is 100% safe, but that's pretty high.

Old 11-28-2007, 06:34 PM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,619,309 times
Not safe. Period.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:20 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,602,442 times
You need to have a great security system, a couple large, tough, guarddogs, a shotgun,carry mace, and have at least one capable adult male at home at all times. Even then you are not guaranteed to escape being a victim around there. I hate to bad mouth an area, but there is no way I would move around there anytime soon. If you move farther east(you will pay more) down Lake, lets say by Damen or Ashland you will fare much better,but even then you have to be very alert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago