Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 09:22 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
They have done all kind of car counts and mailed surveys to track those kinds of things. The bottomline is that despite the desires of some folks, even in the adminstration of IDOT & Toll Authority, to increase ride share / transit aggregation points most commuters do have schedules that, whether by choice or necessity, make single vehicles the prefered option...

Take a day like today -- if you have to be work but they have a delayed opening that might push you out of the normal window for a lot of transit options. If you are in some kind van pool / ride share that would get screwed up. Add in factors like some late hours work for a presentation or a need to deal with childcare issues and pretty soon the "exceptions" start really explain why getting more shared modes of commuting / suburban transit is so futile.

The other side of things is, of course, cost -- for every mile of railroad tracks & equipment spent in transportation dollars you get so much more normal roadway built that it is not even funny. Toss in the fact that even though sprawl is not a good thing there are always paving guys, strip malls builders and tract home developers that will donate to politicians for widening roads out in the hinterlands while far fewer large transit projects will have as many obvious "poltical champions"....

Despite the biases some ascribe to me I really do enjoy prefer taking Metra into the Loop over all but the shortest vehicle drives and if there was a way to redo all the hinderances there are to even more connections between the various transit options I think there could a lot of good BUT it would be such a risky / super long payback that it is all but impossible to see happening in the region.
Yeah, I've seen the data before for average daily traffic counts on certain major arterials in the area. I don't disagree that commuting in your car in certain areas is absolutely needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago