Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 09:44 PM

498 posts, read 724,367 times

Advertisements

Transitized published an interactive map that I found pretty interesting:
http://www.transitized.com/commute/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 10:37 PM

229 posts, read 293,661 times
Car usage is much higher than I expected... where do you people park your car?

Old 01-23-2014, 10:43 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,249,404 times
yeah, driving is way higher than I thought, but maybe it is related to working in the loop.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:50 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Cool map, but this could be done better. The normal behavior by just looking at the map is that "most people get to work by _____ here." While it's true it's showing the #1 mode, it doesn't do a good job of taking into account other modes that are close to it. For example, I notice a census tract in Austin near the Green Line is 44% driving versus 35% public transit. That's not as big of a difference in transit as is psychologically interpreted by the average person.

If I were them, I would make a heat map that shows the diversity of modes instead of just showing a color for the #1 mode. I did it in a map for racial diversity by tract. They could do something similar and make a heat map based on the average percentage for each mode of transportation in each tract away from 16.6667% (100 divided by 6 modes evenly). You could probably weight it too based on the #1 mode after that too.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:59 PM

498 posts, read 724,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Cool map, but this could be done better. The normal behavior by just looking at the map is that "most people get to work by _____ here." While it's true it's showing the #1 mode, it doesn't do a good job of taking into account other modes that are close to it. For example, I notice a census tract in Austin near the Green Line is 44% driving versus 35% public transit. That's not as big of a difference in transit as is psychologically interpreted by the average person.

If I were them, I would make a heat map that shows the diversity of modes instead of just showing a color for the #1 mode. I did it in a map for racial diversity by tract. They could do something similar and make a heat map based on the average percentage for each mode of transportation in each tract away from 16.6667% (100 divided by 6 modes evenly). You could probably weight it too based on the #1 mode after that too.
Yeah, I had this same thought. The colored version of the map is a little deceiving and makes it look like people are more dependent on cars than they actually are. But the detailed statistics by tract are interesting.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:04 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freefall18 View Post
Yeah, I had this same thought. The colored version of the map is a little deceiving and makes it look like people are more dependent on cars than they actually are. But the detailed statistics by tract are interesting.
Yeah definitely. I think I know what my next little data project is

Old 01-23-2014, 11:12 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,210,152 times
Yep - could definitely be better just by using shading instead of blocks of solid colors. Many areas along the Blue Line and on the Western edge of the Northside close to the lake have drive/transit numbers that are less than 5% apart. The tract I live in is red, but is 40%/37% between driving and transit.

Great map nonetheless!

Old 01-23-2014, 11:15 PM

439 posts, read 954,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by im_a_lawyer View Post
Car usage is much higher than I expected... where do you people park your car?
Most people don't work in the loop.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:55 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Default Yep, does as good at exposing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsk1983 View Post
...the biases of the posters that frequent this board as much as anything! The patterns of reliance on personal vehicles are well known to anyone that goes to anything like RTA board meetings or reads the reports they send out. Efforts to get folks to use things like bus links to rail are often frustratingly under utilized. The fact is even with nice applications to minimize time spent waiting for a connection most people find that they can often get to work faster in a personal car. The paucity of options for transit when ones work location is outside the Loop is also a huge factor - all the smaller places of employment like retail and even the larger but non-traditionally scheduled work locations like hospitals and even schools mean that the strong emphasis on Loop centric transit does not fit the life / needs of most workers.

Sadly spending more to add routes that would cater to folks outside the Loop / on different schedules is a HUGE money losing proposition. It should not even be on the table save for the fantasies of those that see rail like playthings and get obsessed with shiny new hardware. Even the potential for "bus rapid transit" to really mess up the flow of not just workers but goods that move via trucks on surface streets ought scare the heck out of anyone that really cares about the economic health of the region...

Rational efforts to use technology to coordinate the flow of vehicles is far and away the best "bang for the buck" for advancing commute efforts but the loud voices of folks that really want more trains to run 24x7 so they can more easily get from bar to live theater to other entertainment options together with scaredy cats that won't have that get of device in their vehicle make it unlikely to ever see widespread use.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:16 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,233,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsk1983 View Post
There is something to that. Jobs are spread out all over Chicago. Also, myself, along with a LOT more of my neighbors live in the city and work in the suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago