Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 11:05 PM

615 posts, read 1,382,180 times

Advertisements

I know that area is still technically Lakeview, but what is it like around there?

Will a single and heterosexual male enjoy living around there? I know there is Boystown right there. It seems like that area is predominately white. My friend that is Asian American is thinking about moving there. Will he experience any problems or will he like it there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 11:23 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
The areas are completely fine and nobody is going to care what race your friend is. Belmont still has an edgy/gritty side to it actually and as far as daytime traffic goes is pretty mixed. Whenever I've been there on a weekend night I've noticed a lot of different types of people there and to the east of it. In fact, right east a new Indian place, an Asian Tapas place, a Korean-American grill fusion type of place (like BopNGrill), and an Asian street food place. There's also an older sushi bar right there, a Korean-Mexican fusion place, and I think a Chinese restaurant still. Lakeview may be 80%+ white, but there are areas within it that offfer quite an array of world cuisines that people obviously keep in business. I believe there used to be both a Turkish and Ethiopian place there but they closed I think, as well as the legitimate Hookah bar that burned down recently (started in the bar next door). You'd also be surprised at how many African Americans hang out in the Belmont area on the weekend too.

I do find it weird that people assume that if an area is predominantly one race that they'll have problems with other races. Nobody really cares in these areas, especially around Belmont.

For the record, the census tracts that directly cover the Belmont and Wellington stops are 7% and 8% Asian, which amounts to about 500 people. All of the adjacent tracts are over 5% each, amounting to another 870 people, so over 1370 people at the census in that general area who claimed Asian race. Yeah, it's fairly white but he'll hardly be alone in the area and furthermore, people don't care.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:14 AM

1,612 posts, read 2,420,781 times
The neighborhood is fine and even quite nice in parts, but Belmont itself is gritty and can be sketchy at night.

I personally would live near Belmont, but not right on Belmont. Way to noisy and too much drama.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:44 AM

498 posts, read 724,367 times
I also wouldn't recommend living right by the Belmont stop. It'll be way too noisy, and that has been a frequent problem area at night. By the Wellington stop is fine, but it also may be pretty noisy right by there because there's a busy hospital right there, so you might have to get used to a lot of sirens.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:37 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,877,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago87 View Post
I know that area is still technically Lakeview, but what is it like around there?

Will a single and heterosexual male enjoy living around there? I know there is Boystown right there. It seems like that area is predominately white. My friend that is Asian American is thinking about moving there. Will he experience any problems or will he like it there?
I am proud to have grown up in a neighborhood tolerant enough to have evolved a Boystown, but I think people tend to overstate those demographic numbers in the area. Lake View is monstrous - 95,000 people in the community area. It's got something for everyone.

And yes, Lake View seems to have gotten whiter in the sense of affluence (the hillbillies are gone), even though I see a sizeable number of people of color every time I am at Belmont and Sheffield.

But basically, go a block south to Barry and onward and the Boystown feel dissipates pretty rapidly. Let's face it, Masonic is the big dog in town as far as Wellington goes, and go just south of Wellington and Agassiz is now a pretty might force to be reckoned with.

So in short, no, you all should be fine - I don't know which Asian country your friend is from, but although Lake View historically was German, there was a sizeable Japanese community still in evidence by Japanese Culture Center - Chicago Aikido Classes | Martial Arts: Bujinkan, Jujutsu, Karate, Kenpo, Kendo, Iaido, and Shorinji Kempo, Capoeira, Zen, Internal Breath and Meditation Training, and Yoga, Japanese Language Classes (Nihongo), Japanese Calli, where I train. If you have specific questions about it feel free to shoot me a private message.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:40 AM

Yeah, for "gay feel", Lakeview only has an obvious concentration of "gayborhood activity" north of Belmont, for a few blocks. Lakeview as a whole is pretty big, and prime Lakeview (say south of Belmont, to Diversey) doesn't seem to be more or less gay than any other yuppie part of Chicago.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:25 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
I lived at Wellington and Sheffield for two years, and in that immediate area for many more years. I actually think it's a great location right around Wellington, very safe, tons to do, nice tree lined streets, access to a lot of rail/buses as well as the lakefront not too far away. I liked being able to walk down to Broadway very easily.

I would also agree that once you get south of Belmont the "gay" factor dies away fairly quickly, although you'll still have random gay people living there going about their lives, which is perfectly fine.

Also understand that Wrigleyville is basically just as far as Boystown, so you have a lot going on right to the north. I would stay away from right at the Belmont stop or living on Belmont between Sheffield and Halsted. It's fine during the day, and gets annoying at night.

As a gay person I've noticed that the gay population who does live in the area more actively spreads out to the north more than the south. I'm amazed at how "totally gay" Buena Park and Uptown are. I have a few gay friends who just moved in near Buena and they're floored at how many gay people have treked up north.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:28 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,862,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post

And yes, Lake View seems to have gotten whiter in the sense of affluence (the hillbillies are gone), even though I see a sizeable number of people of color every time I am at Belmont and Sheffield.
"Hillbillies" are usually pretty white...

Old 01-31-2014, 08:36 AM

Lakeview had hillbillies and Puerto Ricans back in the 60's 70's and 80's, to an extent. You still see a tiny hint of this past in the western reaches closer to the freeway, which are only semi-gentrified.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:41 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Lake View ends at Racine on the west, the whole community area is pretty well gentrified. North Center is to the west of Lake View which is almost completely gentrified as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago