Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 04:29 PM

112 posts, read 173,345 times

Advertisements

Landing O'Hare from London 14:15 Monday, picking up car 16:00, wanted to be downtown by 18:00. Out of Chicago by 09:00 Tues into St Loius by 17:00............is this unrealistic??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 04:32 PM

St Louis.....

Old 02-01-2014, 06:08 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,626,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. DarcyJones View Post
Landing O'Hare from London 14:15 Monday, picking up car 16:00, wanted to be downtown by 18:00. Out of Chicago by 09:00 Tues into St Loius by 17:00............is this unrealistic??
Are you driving to St. Louis? It's about 5-6 hours by car depending on traffic and about 45 minutes by air. You should consider getting the rental car once you get to St Louis. The weather report is calling for 3-6 inches of snow on Tuesday so it might be best to take a cab to and from the airport.

Old 02-01-2014, 06:34 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,937,691 times
^ The OP said August. Nothing to do with recent, so the snow thing is not of use. Okay, so OP...are you driving to St. Louis from Chicago or flying there?

Old 02-01-2014, 06:42 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,626,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
^ The OP said August. Nothing to do with recent, so the snow thing is not of use. Okay, so OP...are you driving to St. Louis from Chicago or flying there?
I saw Monday on her last post and thought it was next week. Next time I should read the whole thread title.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
I saw Monday on her last post and thought it was next week. Next time I should read the whole thread title.
Not going to see too much of the old I-66 (I-55) at 32000 so I guess it's going to be by car. What's the chances of getting out of downtown Chicago unscathed by 9.00am, (get up at 4am?) on a Tues morning, would like to be in Collinsville between 17-1800 hrs, inc. a few stops en route?

Old 02-02-2014, 09:19 AM

Quote:
1) Unless you plan on going to the far reaches of town, you won't need a car. Chicago in this area is very walkable (and many other areas), with a good public transit system as well (train and bus). Furthermore, the parking downtown is a rip off usually and most places are going to charge you at least $30/day to park, and some even more. Then you'll have your car sitting dormant in a garage while you're walking around and such. It's a waste of money unless you're going to the far reaches. My suggestion is to either take a cab from O'Hare (~$40-$45 after tip) or take the Blue Line train from O'Hare, which is safe and runs 24/7, into downtown. Transfer at the Jackson stop to the Red Line and your hotel is right near the Grand stop. Total time will probably be 55 minutes for that and it's $5 USD per ride.

2) Yes, it's safe. It's a big city so anything can happen and while weird stuff can happen to tourists, it's pretty rare. Just practice regular urban city know how. Also not sure what Toria is talking about with pickpockets. It can happen, but I live a few blocks north of your hotel and nobody has ever tried to pick pocket me. Yes, you should be aware of these things, but the area is pretty safe.

3)
* Underground Wonder Bar - Near North Side - Chicago, IL
* Andy's Jazz Club - Near North Side - Chicago, IL ****
* The Backroom - Near North Side - Chicago, IL
*The Joynt - Near North Side - Chicago, IL ***
* Blue Chicago - Near North Side - Chicago, IL ****
* Jazz Showcase - South Loop - Chicago, IL
* The Velvet Lounge - Near Southside - Chicago, IL
* Buddy Guy's Legends - South Loop - Chicago, IL
* Close Up 2 - The Loop - Chicago, IL

Not much further away but both good and famous and near a train stop.
* B.L.U.E.S. - Lincoln Park - Chicago, IL
* Kingston Mines - Lincoln Park - Chicago, IL | Yelp

My favorites out of these are Kingston Mines, BLUES, and Underground Wonder Bar. I haven't been to a few of these though, I'll admit. If you want to hear some legitimate local awesome blues then go to Kingston Mines or BLUES. Underground Wonder Bar can be good but it's a mixed bag. Definitely good if you are out at 2am and want some live music (they close at 4am everyday but Saturday when it's 5am close).

Further away, but well known:
* Green Mill - Uptown - Chicago, IL
* Rosa's Lounge - Logan Square - Chicago, IL

Others that sometimes play it, or world music, none downtown:
* Katerina's - North Center - Chicago, IL
* Constellation - Roscoe Village - Chicago, IL
* Mayne Stage - Rogers Park - Chicago, IL

There's also places like this on the south side in less than desirable neighborhoods that still put out great stuff:
* Lee's Unleaded Blues - Greater Grand Crossing - Chicago, IL

Also some old piano bars or Cabaret lounges:
*The Redhead Piano Bar - Near North Side - Chicago, IL ****
* Zebra Lounge - Near North Side - Chicago, IL
* The Gallery Cabaret - Bucktown - Chicago, IL
* Davenport's - Wicker Park - Chicago, IL

Also, there is the Chicago Jazz Festival which happens at the end of August.
Thank you for this.....invaluable!!!

Have taken some time to go through your lists with the help of some Yelp reviews!! Some poss too far a brisk walk, others around the corner, narrowed it down to what I believe we're looking for in.... RED.

Again, many, many thanks.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:01 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,937,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. DarcyJones View Post
Thank you for this.....invaluable!!!

Have taken some time to go through your lists with the help of some Yelp reviews!! Some poss too far a brisk walk, others around the corner, narrowed it down to what I believe we're looking for in.... RED.

Again, many, many thanks.
The best one you redded out is Andy's. However, take note of the ones I suggested. If you want to see real blues, then go to BLUES or Kingston Mines. Trust me, I like my blues...I only listed the others because they are there. Joynt, Blue Chicago, and Redheaded Piano Bar are just OK in my opinion. For close by blues, BLUES and Kingston Mines are much better.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:18 AM

Quote:
The best one you redded out is Andy's. However, take note of the ones I suggested. If you want to see real blues, then go to BLUES or Kingston Mines. Trust me, I like my blues...I only listed the others because they are there. Joynt, Blue Chicago, and Redheaded Piano Bar are just OK in my opinion. For close by blues, BLUES and Kingston Mines are much better.
I hear what you are saying..........the Conrad is booked and Kingston Mines may still be in with a shout.

Many thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago