Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 12:29 PM

6 posts, read 5,670 times

Advertisements

So my girlfriend and i are flying to Chicago from march 6th to the 10th to see the band Kings Of Leon and i pretty much have everything i need weather wise but footwear. I'm from south Florida but Ohio born and i don't have any weather footwear since I've lived in south Florida. My question is what type of boots should i be looking for during our trip? We plan on scaling the city pretty much for most of the trip so something comfortable, weather resistant, and somewhat fashionable (I know I know) lol. I plan on moving to Chicago over the next year and this trip will show my girlfriend some of the cold weather that we'll be facing.

Also, Anyone have any good recommendations as far as good food (We're big foodies) and maybe some craft beer bars that i can check out online then in person? I work at one of south Florida's best craft beer bars and would love to see how the craft beer boom has hit Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 12:37 PM

968 posts, read 2,670,647 times
March is a month with a lot of possibilities with the weather . Keep your eye on the forecast up to the moment you pack to be sure you'll get it right; it could be bone-chilling cold; just cold; chilly; cool or warm with snow or rain or sometimes ice and sleet . I'd consider it one of the tougher months to call in advance . What I've described could also all occur in the same week !!

I'll let the craft beer aficionados answer that part; I know you won't be disappointed for a lack of good places and beers to sample .

Old 02-27-2014, 12:56 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,223,833 times
For good beer and food both The Publican and Longman & Eagle have very good beer lists and work with breweries to make custom beers to match their menus. The Publican has an excellent brunch, and they're one of the few places that take brunch reservations. For Brewpubs Revolution and Goose Island (Clybourne) both have solid food and great beer selections. If you're downtown The Purple Pig and The Gage will probably be your best bets. Half Acre has a great tasting room, and there are loads of other great restaurants and bars to check out - Hopleaf, Owen & Engine, Radler, Map Room, Quencher's, The Bristol, Rootstock, Haymarket, Dusek's, ...there are just loads and loads of places.

Are there any specific types of beer or food you're looking for? What areas will you primarily be visiting?

For boots the most fashionable thing you could probably get would be just plain black leather hiking boots. They'll work fine for any conditions and just kind of blend in with whatever you're wearing. Other than that the next step up would be full blown snow boots, but those aren't going to be fashionable and odds are you won't need anything that serious.

Last edited by Attrill; 02-27-2014 at 01:05 PM..

Old 02-27-2014, 02:22 PM

255 posts, read 585,043 times
Get shoes (or better yet, boots) that have good traction and are waterproof. Start wearing them before your vacation so you break them in. Nothing worse than having your feet hurt while on vacation and no other shoes to wear.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:48 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,493,153 times
OMG! You guys are NUTS, you don't NEED to buy "winter boots" for four nights in Chicago in March. As long as the OP has something other than flip-flops / sandals HE WILL BE FINE. I probably wear RUNNING SHOES more often than any other kind of footwear in the winter unless I am SHOVELING THE DRIVEWAY or spending an extended period outdoors (like sitting in Soldier Field...) and even then you could absolutely be 100% safe & comfortable in ordinary shoes with a couple of pairs of appropriate socks on -- the super thin silk or high tech winter fabric thingies inside a nice wooly pair will work well in such cases...

Wigwam Gobi Liners at REI.com

REI Silk One Liner Socks at REI.com

REI Merino Wool Expedition Socks at REI.com

Darn Tough Vermont Merino Wool Mountaineering Over-the-Calf Extra Cushion Socks - Men's, 15675 | Socks | Socks & Accessories | SHOES & BOOTS | items from Campmor.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:27 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,212,654 times
Smh. Just bring shoes. You ain't traversing the alaskan wilderness

Old 02-27-2014, 07:30 PM

255 posts, read 585,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
OMG! You guys are NUTS, you don't NEED to buy "winter boots" for four nights in Chicago in March.
The OP asked for suggestions. No one is foisting anything upon him. Plenty of people are perfectly happy with soggy shoes, my husband among them. Myself, I wear a waterproof, sturdy soled shoe through much of the spring in Chicago, no matter what the weather that particular day. There is always the possibility that there will be snow/slush/ice somewhere on the pavement or at street corners.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:39 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,622,273 times
Even if it snows while you're here,you probably won't be walking thru neighborhoods where people are sometimes lazy about shoveling their sidewalks.

Tennis shoes during the day and rugged ankle boots at night in case of ice.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:12 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,239,539 times
I mean...I've lived in Chicago over a decade car free and my winter footwear is the same as my summer footwear when I'm not in flip flops.....shoes.

Just bring some shoes. They don't have to be crazy special shoes for climbing mountains in the arctic. Just whatever you like. I wear regular diesel shoes. They've been fine.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:22 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,493,153 times
Default Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I mean...I've lived in Chicago over a decade car free and my winter footwear is the same as my summer footwear when I'm not in flip flops.....shoes.

Just bring some shoes. They don't have to be crazy special shoes for climbing mountains in the arctic. Just whatever you like. I wear regular diesel shoes. They've been fine.
Any "normal" shoe made of leather or a man made imitations like it that actually covers more of your feet than a pair of Keens ought to be PERFECTLY ACCEPTABLE even it if snows -- you'd have to be a huge klutz to step into a puddle big enough to warrant specialized foot gear...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago